Daysailer centerboard? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-25-2013 Thread Starter

Daysailer centerboard?

I have 2 different diagrams showing which cable/rope raises and lowers the centerboard. My boat is a 1972 Daysailer, and I've been pulling the rope that extends from the cuddy cabin to lower the board. But last week, water came rushing out in the cuddy, so I yanked on the cable which is on the cb trunk and the gushing stopped. I may have been sailing this boat with the board up when I thought it was down. Anyone out there who can offer advice?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-25-2013
Tartan 27' owner

Re: Daysailer centerboard?

Welcome to sailnut!

Sounds fairly likely that you were sailing with the center board up when you thought it was down.
No worries though. Figure out how the center board is set up and see if you can notice the difference when you use it.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2013 Thread Starter

Yup, that's what I thought. When we haul it for the winter, I'll be able to see which way is up, which way is down.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-02-2015

Kind of late to reply to this I guess, but here is the layout of hte 1971-73 DS II centerbord controls in pic 1, 1974-early 77 in pic 2, and 1977-85 in pic 3. The last one should also match tthe DS III setup.

The cable coming out of the hole in the cuddy and controled by a line run from an eyestrap to one side of the maststep, through a block on the cable end and then through another block on the other side of the maststep. is suposed to raise hte CB, the cable coming out od the top of the CB trunk out in the cockpit is to lower the CB. It is possible that a previous owner reversed the cables?

I doubt you were sailing with the CB retracted all the time, with no CB down, you would not be able to make any progress to windward and in fact the boat becomes hard to steer at all without having at least about 1/3 of the CB exposed, even under power.
Attached Thumbnails
DS II_CB draw_71-73.jpg   DS-II_cb1974-77 dia.jpg   DS-II_cb dia.jpg   1973 CB down line.jpg   DS II_CB draw_74-79.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 04-02-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.