Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Zincs

you got it.
Old 03-06-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewinn View Post
Thanks for the replies. So pretty much if I have a zinc on the prop shaft and insure that everything metal on the boat is connected to the prop shaft as in grounded, I will be good to go.
Zinc on the prop shaft, yes.. but the jury is out on whether or not everything metal should be grounded to the prop shaft also.
Old 03-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Zinc on the prop shaft, yes.. but the jury is out on whether or not everything metal should be grounded to the prop shaft also.
Not sure which jury you mean but ABYC "E-2 Cathodic Protection" requires bonding.
Old 03-06-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Not sure which jury you mean but ABYC "E-2 Cathodic Protection" requires bonding.
The on-line jury made up of experienced sailors.

Fine.. go for your life. After all, it can't do too much harm... right?

Last edited by Classic30; 03-06-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
The on-line jury made up of experienced sailors.

Fine.. go for your life. After all, it can't do too much harm, right?
You go with your "on-line" experts. I'll go with ABYC Standards and what I was taught in courses by Ed Sherman, Paul Fleury and Dave Rifkin

All three of these guys are internationally recognized marine corrosion analysis instructors and consultants and Rifkin is a retired nuclear sub commander and consultant to USCG

Last edited by boatpoker; 03-06-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't have a position to fight for on bonding. Mine are not bonded (nearly 30 of them!! holy moly)

The question I have is over the standard. Logically, it makes sense to bond a thru hull that may be composed of dissimilar metals. However, are there valves that are solely one metal? If so, what would you be protecting, rather aren't you introducing dissimilar metals by bonding? Finally, from a practical standpoint, I've seen electrically corroded thru hulls, but not very often. Is this standard a logical one, with less practical impact than most?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't have a position to fight for on bonding. Mine are not bonded (nearly 30 of them!! holy moly)

The question I have is over the standard. Logically, it makes sense to bond a thru hull that may be composed of dissimilar metals. However, are there valves that are solely one metal? If so, what would you be protecting, rather aren't you introducing dissimilar metals by bonding? Finally, from a practical standpoint, I've seen electrically corroded thru hulls, but not very often. Is this standard a logical one, with less practical impact than most?
Since all metals have a natural voltage potential, bonding them equalizes those potentials. if all potentials are equal no current can flow therefore no galvanic reaction.

Bonding does not protect you from stray current corrosion which is another form of electrolytic corrosion that involves leaking current from bad connections usually in a wet bilge/bilge pump or even old style battery chargers or water heaters on vessels with AC/DC bonds but that is an entirely different topic.

Last edited by boatpoker; 03-07-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Since all metals have a natural voltage potential, bonding them equalizes thoses potential. if all potentials are equal no current can flow therefore no galvanic reaction.
Doesn't that also apply, if the thru hull is only one metal? At least, only one metal exposed to the electrolyte (sea water)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Doesn't that also apply, if the thru hull is only one metal? At least, only one metal exposed to the electrolyte (sea water)?
If all below the water line metals are the same, then no bonding would be required but I don't know of any throughull/seacock combinations that don't consist of only one metal.

If you did have one consisting of one metal and another of two metals they would likely form a galvanic couple through a high capacitance bottom paint.

Or you could start another war by proposing all Marelon throughulls
Old 03-07-2014

No way. I hate marelon.

While I get the science on galvanic corrosion, I'm just trying to get my head around why I just don't see much of it on unbonded thru hulls. Some, for sure.

Ours are unbonded and have a stainless steel ball inside a bronze case. Add salt water and they should disappear. But they haven't. Maybe the potential between the two is small? That can't be it. There is some thing preventing disintegration. I'm curious.

Jeanneau 54DS