SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

34 O'Day Fuel Tank Removal

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  pat.oiltrades 
#1 ·
I believe that the diesel fuel tank has a slight leak. Any advice for removing and replacing?

Any ideas on patching it in place or inspecting w/o removal?

#2 · (Edited)
Provide a few details/pictures

Difficult for anyone that does not have an O'34 and/or has been involved with it's fuel tank to comment very meaningfully on this question without a few details. It also makes for much more interesting reading for the helpers and the lurkers.

Exterior patches are probably not approved for survey/insurance purposes but as a practical matter, epoxy putty or 3M5200 seldom lets loose once applied to a clean dry roughined surface. Anouther concern would be that if the corrosion is exterior, is there just one spot, and if it is an interior corrosion leak then there are likely other spots that are thin and could leak at any time.

(1) What sort of leak,
(2) How was the leak discovered.
(3) What tests have been performed and/or repairs attempted so far.
(4) Have hoses, vents been checked.
(5) What material is the tank made of.
(6) Where is the tank located and what are the obstructions to removal.
(7) What size (gallons/dimensions) is the the tank.
(8) What is your ability/knowledge as related to such repairs.
(9) Picture is worth 1000 words.

Best of Luck...

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, I'll try to be more descriptive and have attached 2000 words.

The leak is a slow one that was discovered by diesel in the bilge and tracking it aft to the tank. The tank is 30 gal and is aluminum. The size is 23"W X 22"D X 18"H (12D aft)

It is seated it what appears to be a wood frame platform. So the bottom edge cannot be viewed. I thought that I could remove it through the port locker however upon closer inspection it looks like the only way out is through the engine. It looks to me like the engine will have to be removed.

I'm capable of this (not emotionally though at this time) as well as glassing the interior of the tank.

Just looking for alternatives if there are any. Should I simply abandon in place and use some smaller Tempo tanks? Cut it out and replace with several smaller tanks or one of the flexible ones?

#4 ·
I've decided to cut the tank out and replace it with a Tempo one. I'll be happy to record and publish the process for prosperity if anyone is interested. If I do, should I put it in this forum or a more general one?

#5 ·
Got theTank Out!

It did involve some cuttin' and gruntin' but I didn't have to tear up much to get the tank out.

Inspection reveals corrosion and a few pinholes. Picture of tank bottom is posted at:
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Oday/photos/browse/e5ca

I found an interesting article concerning aluminmum fuel tanks and how to install them properly. http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm Seems that mounting them in a wooden tray as on the O'day 34 is not a good idea.

The good news is that there is a label on the tank with the manufacturer and model number. I can get a replacement tank for a bit over $300 manufactured by the original tank fabricator.

#7 ·
Sorry to take so long to respond, but I didn't have to cut the tank out. Instead I cut the opening out between the engine compartment and the starboard quarter berth. Just had to cut about 3" X 18" so it wasn't a big deal. I did a sloppy job of cutting but that should be an easy repair with some wood trim to hide the ragged cut.