SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   O'Day (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/)
-   -   O'Day Sprite (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/17198-oday-sprite.html)

needtolearn 06-13-2006 12:09 PM

O'Day Sprite

We have an O'Day Sprite and its time to teach our children how to sail. I can't find any information on the Sprite, nor can I find the sails. Can anyone help direct me... The boat hasn't been used in years, but was once a great friend to my husband and we are hoping will have the same meaning to our son. We look forward to many summers on the lake, and hope someone can help make that possible.

tpm622 06-13-2006 01:40 PM

I have a Sprite also, the sails that came with it were fairly new and made by Doyle Sails. Jeff H was a great help on here with mine and sent a sketch that he did detailing the rigging, I'd be glad to email you

needtolearn 06-13-2006 02:31 PM

that would be great - thank you. I'm new to this, my e-mail is
ksgentle1@verizon.net. Can you tell me where Doyle Sails is located? Thanks again for the help :o)

kiranders 06-16-2006 03:20 PM

sail info

Hi,

We have been trying to find this same info. don't know if one of you could email it to me?
kiranders@hotmail.com

Thanks!

SuperSprite 07-13-2006 01:15 PM

I purchased a Sprite to use as a rowing dinghy, the hull is in good shape and I would like to add a sail to teach my kids with.

I would appreciate anything you can send regarding the rig dimensions -
Mast / boom length, diameter wall thickness
Sail luff and foot lengths
Shroud diameters

tfennell1@msn.com

Thanks

merc2dogs 07-21-2006 07:52 PM

sprite info

Been looking myself for info opn the boat, the best source I have found is baker boat works, who sells the plans for the sprite,

www.by-the-sea.com/bakerboatworks/

it's listed as the spirit, download the PDF and it explains that it was designed for O'day, and 3500 were built.
Have thought of buying the plans, but $39.00 is a touch steep in my mind to check rigging etc.

Supersprite:
I have the mast and boom in the garage, If you still need the measurements I'll mtake them for you, been rainy here so I'd have to hold up on measuring the sails.

Ken.

gibz1 11-28-2006 07:07 PM

sprite rigging info

Hello there, Gibz here,

I recently bought an O-day Widgeon and wondered if you could send on the rigging details (www.gibzthemonkey@hotmail.com) for the Sprite, which I reckon will be similar enough for purposes. Just joined this site and looks real useful for a novice owner like me.

Thanks, all tha best, looking forward to getting out on the ocean!!

gibz

freefare 08-03-2010 09:10 AM

Looking for O'Day Sprite Rigging info

Hello!

I have a '65 O'Day Sprite, and I've done extensive searching online to try to find proper rigging instructions for the boat. We just started sailing a few years ago, so we're pretty new to it. We've done well with the Sprite (it's a blast) but I'm just not convinced that the rigging is right. But I can't find it instructions, drawings or even a close-up photo ANYWHERE.

tpm622, it's been 4 years since your post, so I'm hoping you're still a member on here. If you still have those drawings (or if any of you do), I would greatly appreciate getting those from you. I know there aren't many Sprites out there, which is what's making my quest for rigging info so difficult.

Any help ANY of you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-freefare.

Ginmark 08-10-2010 09:06 PM

Another Sprite rigging request

I too have recently acquired a sprite and don't know how to rig it. If anybody here has any information on that, and you can send it to me, I will post it on my website, then come back here and post a link to it so future folks can have access to it easily. Thanks. My email is markottman at yahoo.com

Jeff_H 08-10-2010 10:47 PM

My first boat as a Sprite. They had very simple rigging. There were two mast steps, the standard rigging was for the sloop rig and used the aft mast step. There shrouds attached with a multi-hole adjuster on either rail just aft of the forward flotation tank and the forestay had a turnbuckle. the jib, main and spin halards each have their own blocks and there were cleats on either side of the mast to tie them off. You raised the mainsail and tightened the halyard tight then pushed down on the boom and adjusted luff tension with the gooseneck track. The jib sheet had fixed lead blocks on either side of the cockpit and the lead was adjusted with a short pennant on the tack of the jib. The main traveler was a wire bridle across the transom just high enough to clear the tiller. There was single block with becket at the end of the boom. The mainsheet tied to the becket, ran down to a block on the traveler, back to the sheave on the same block, forward to a block a 3-4 feer forward on the boom and the vertical. It was cleated to a jamb cleat (jamb up) on the aft end of the centerboard trunk. There was no vang. The outhaul was tied to an eye at the end of the boom, passed through the sail and back to the other eye then ran forward to a tubular clam cleat.

That's it....
Jeff