Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago

Bruce3966 is on a distinguished road
Now I am loaded with more questions--O'Day

Well, I did it. Just bought a 1979 O'Day 25' today. Have to tow it yet to my slip and I'll putz on it on the hard there while I sail my P165 for a month. For those familair with the O'Days, I have listed just a few questions below but I am SURE I will have 1,000,000 more soon.

1. Where can one find a manual for this tub? I have looked but no luck.
2. Thru-Hulls--I have read a few thinigs about them but not famailiar with them yet. I know what they are but the last thing I want to do is launch the boat, put it in my slip and then get a call later that week that my boat sank.
3. Chain plates--I don't get it, am I missing somehting here...looks like the chain plates go through the deck and get bolted to the bulkhead or am I way off on this? I looked at the chain plates and mast base very closely and mast base is rock solid and the chain plates look fine also. I am assuming I am off on this and possible rot is hidden somewhere right?
4. PO only owned the boat for two years and did not slip it. He never painted the bottom but it looks pretty rough. I am thinking about just towing it to a place that will sand and paint it for me for I am guessing this is a very hard job correct? PO said he never worried about it and just sailed it the way it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 1 Week Ago

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Re: Now I am loaded with more questions--O'Day

Sailnet's a great resource for answers that are difficult or impossible to find elsewhere.

But, with the exception of your manual question, everything you've asked is easily learned with a search on this site or with Bing or Google.
Old 1 Week Ago
Oday30!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

The single best source for Oday is Rudy at D&Rmarine D & R Marine

I hear that he's like many and doesn't answer Email so best to call.

you only need bottom paint if she's in for the week or more. Here, in 2 days we get slime that quick.

You can bottom paint the boat yourself. just need a couple of stands or 4x4's to hold her up where you drop the bunks on the trailer.

Through hull fittings, I don't know about the O25 but you want to make sure the valves operate. if they are stuck don't yank them sideways! Use 2 wrenches one to hold it stationary the other to gently rock the valve. but we don't know if you have core, gate or ball valves. pictures please!

Also make sure the cockpit drains are connected if they have drain tube on them like my boat has.

Is your boat in or outboard?

chain plates on bulk heads is a common practice. Look deeply. Don't make the stays real tight either, at least not until you are sure they are good to go.

edit. oday owners on facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/48202197277/?pnref=lhc

My boat is sold!

Last edited by deniseO30; 1 Week Ago at 07:48 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Bruce.

I moved your thread into the O'Day forum where you should get the most traction for your questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 1 Week Ago

Hi guys, just picked up a 1979 26' today. After much research and liking the canin layouts, I had to get an O'Day. They are very hard to come by in Michigan. Needs a good bath, bottom paint because it'll sit in my slip on Lake Huron, electrical fixed and a few other small things. Chain plates and mast base seem to be solid however, after I found the photo attached, it makes me wonder how would anybody know that the deck near the chain plate base is rotted without cutting out the deck. I'm not concerned about the bulkhead chainplate rot (even though there is none n this boat) but if there was, I could replace the bulkhead easy enough. I now have to learn all the new systems in the boat, what pipes and hoses go where and what each thru hull is for (would be great if somebody had a list).

Anyway, I will probably have a million questions for your guys. This is my second sailboat with my first just being bought only 3 months ago but only a P165. Then I bought a 36 foot slip so decided to go bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Now I am loaded with more questions--O'Day-10629706_311797809001998_7706566060259846244_n.jpg  
Old 1 Week Ago

Ward H is on a distinguished road

Bruce,
Congrats! If your O'day is a 79, then it is 25. The 26s came out a few years later and replaced the 25.

1. Manual - Go on over to Oday Owner Forums - SailboatOwners.com
A member there named Sunbird has put together a nice collection of O'day manuals and other literature.

2. Thru Hulls - If you have an outboard version, you have only one gated through hull. This will be located under the galley sink. If original it will be a gate valve. No way to tell if it is open or closed just by looking at them. Best to change it out to a 1/4 turn ball valve. Mine was frozen and when I had it replaced found that the inside of the valve was gone.
There is also a through hull under the head sink that is above the water line and does not have a valve on it. The last through hull will be the drain for the cockpit.

3. A lot of the deck has a wood core. If your bulkheads are in good shape you should be good. Sound the deck around the chainplates and other areas where hardware is mounted. A dull thud indicates possible soft spots that may may need some work. Most of what I read leads me to think that the bulkheads would rot before that much deck would or at least they will show water leaking. I use butyl tape to seal my chainplates.

4. Doing the bottom is work but not that hard. Painting the bottom is one of the easiest projects you can do. Sanding it can be work but is doable. Most yards will power wash the bottom and you can go from there.

The O'day 25 is a great boat for it's size. Simple systems, comfortable for 2 adults 2 kids, easy to sail and not too tender. Sails well under jib alone if you get lazy like I sometimes do.
We have a 9.9hp OB with electric start on ours. No need to go bigger.

I also have the electrical diagrams. PM me if you want a copy.
Old 1 Week Ago
I break <-> I fix

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

You know, first thing that is critical, when you are asking for help is to know what model boat you have. You mentioned before you were looking at an ODay 26, then mentioned above it was a 25... 2 drastically different boats. The picture above looks very much like a 25.

But I'll still take a few of these...
Bottom paint? Find a soda blaster, have them soda blast the bottom... then epoxy barrier coat the boat bottom, then put whatever is the most popular sailboat bottom paint used in your area... Freshwater, VC17m is not just fast, its a popular paint.

Chainplates, are where shrouds attach, on small boats, they are usually just long flat stainless plates, that go through the deck, and attach to the bulkheads... there is also usually a horizontal plate that the plates go through at the topside of the deck... this is usually where your leaks occur, that union of 2 metals, and deck, is rarely easy to keep sealed easily. The tension/pressure on these plates, and fiberglass, cause them to stress/move, opening rigid sealants pretty easily. You'll get 100 different answers as to what is the best thing to use in that location.

If that picture above is accurate it looks like someone peeled away some FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) from the top of the core near the starboard chainplate.. is that correct? If so that is some pretty involved work, and since it appears the boat is in the water, I'd be scrambling to get it covered until you can get it glassed back up again.

Oday 26

Oday 25

My own FRP/core repair... what I started with:

Where I am at now... I basically have non-skid to do now.
Old 1 Week Ago

Scnool, thanks for the info. I was looking at a 26' but found a 25'. I just made a typo in one of my recent posts so it is a 1979 25'. Thanks for the info on the bottom paint/procedure. The photo I had attached is not my boat. I was just using it as an example.
Old 1 Week Ago
Oday30!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

uh.. yup.... you are welcome LOL

My boat is sold!
Old 1 Week Ago

Start of my questions but only one for now because it's running through my head. The bilge. I see some have electric and others have manual. Mine will have manual for now---came that way. I am familiar with bilge pumps in all my power boats but how are they set up specifically for the O'Day? Are those the plates in the floor one must pull up and manually pump the bilge dry? My boat will be in a slip for 5-6 months so is this something to worry about when in a slip constantly (lets say I don't get there for 2 weeks etc.)?

Haven't even piked up my O'Day yet so haven't had a chance to go through it and learn every little thing. Oh and I switched boats...moved to a 1985 O'Day 26' now.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.