SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Water underfoot - O'Day 22

10K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Robert Horn 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just bought an O'Day 22 which is on hard standing atm.

Where the table floor stand was once situated I now have holes and when I tread on the floor there water comes out. Does anyone know what is under the floor there? is it wood, some say there is a pan?

I can only think to wet vac it and dry it out with a powerful hairdryer or low set heat gun but I would appreciate any experience on this.

#2 ·
Pictures would help more! Seems to me smaller boats like that have areas under the sole (floor) that are inaccessible and standing water will get trapped. or the sole itself is water logged.

#4 ·
Pictures of floor and the boat WOULD help You may want to check in with trailer sailors on sailboatowners.com. also.

Repair. dry it out. if there is water trapped you have to open those areas to dry them.

This the boat? lots of places for water to be trapped under the floor

#5 ·
Thanks for clogging up my post and query with useless information that you have presented in an extremely rude, unhelpful and combative manner. Yes that is an O'Day 22. Congratulations.

Questions to ask yourself before posting a reply on any forum

Have I first-hand experience that can assist the poster with this problem?

Have I ever owned or constructed the boat the poster is referring to or have any other relevant knowledge or experience that can actually be of some assistance?

Am I being helpful in any way whatsoever?

If the answer to at least one of the above is not yes, resist the temptation to stick your oar in. Lest someone grabs that oar and smacks you round the head with it.

#10 ·
I'm sorry, I should not have used the word small.

I have 1st 2nd and 3rd hand experience and knowledge on MANY boats

I've studied boats nearly all my life. My son and were building smaller, I wanted to build bigger, too many years went by,

I realize when new to online forums any reply may see "loaded"

I hope you will be more give and take rather then defensive. I do not see anything rude, about my posts to you

Welcome to Sailnet!

ps; you may find that the Oday22 is much if not nearly Identical to the spin-drift 22, Catalina 22 and Chrysler 22

#6 ·
First off, Denise was trying to help you.
Second, she has been here for a long time, and EARNED our respect. She has over 6900 posts on many topics. You have what? ... 4 posts. And in one of them you have revealed yourself to be a troll.

Ya, good luck with that pal, and let us all know how you make out.

Sheesh...

D - may I suggest adding JonJon to your "Ignore" list.. I know that I will.

#12 ·
Wow. I have read thousands of post here (usually not commenting) but JonJon is something else. If he spent any time whatsoever here, he would see that it is a community of sailors of varying experiences and opinions who like to help. What it is not is a one-way helpdesk for people who are in over their heads.

I have 2 O'Day 222's at my shop right now. I'm not wasting my time to poke my head in to look at the floors.

#19 ·
The sole of my O'day 22 is also the hull and is solid fiberglass. There is no wooden sole.

The keel has an iron core for ballast and is fully encapsulated. No keel bolts.
There is supposed to be a plug of some sort to inspect. I have not found this on mine.

I suppose if water has penetrated that area there may be damage to the keel allowing water in. Could be if the hull took on water through an open locker or companionway it could have worked it's way down into the keel.

I would start by looking for any damage or severe blisters to the keel exterior.

The water needs to be removed else it causes other problems like rot, or rust of the ballast.

Not sure if this is the "right" way, but you could drill a couple holes to drain the water and dry out the hull, then plug with thickened epoxy.

#21 ·
Jon Jon- having recently bought an Oday 22 and spent quite a bit of time learning the boat by taking things apart and putting it back together:

I have a mount for the table pole adjacent to the starboard berth. Mine also has a hole in the sole about 2" in diameter near the centerline just forward of the companionway. I don't know if this is standard or something from the PO (maybe an access for a grounding wire?). Anyway, I borrowed a friend's fiber optic camera to investigate this space. There seems to only be a few inches of space here (just enough to lose a washer or two...). I couldn't find any way for water to enter this space unless it comes in from the top through this hole. Maybe keel damage?

Accessing it to dry may be difficult. You should be able to get the hose of a dry vac in the hole but won't have much lateral movement.

Would be nice to hear what you find. I'm always looking to learn more about the 22.

Jason

#22 ·
Jason,

If you read the thread, you'll see that Jon Jon joined the forum, posted a question, received assistance, and then revealed himself to be unworthy of our assistance. And, he did all this in a single day (August 17, 2015)! He hasn't been back (or missed) since.

Welcome to SailNet! (be nice...)

#24 ·
Hello Denise, I am new to SailNet and have just bought a 1974 O'day 22 like JonJon and seem to be having a problem that sounds like what he is experiencing. I will post a picture of it once it stops snowing and I can get back into my boat. My hole has a bilge pump in it with the hose just sticking out. The pump has been there for awhile, it is wired into the main panel... Looks like this hole might have been for a table stand maybe? It is center hull just inside the cabin door. Any help would be great. I am excited about this boat and this site. I have a lot of things that need to done to bring her back to her former glory. Cheers,

Craig

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Welcome Craig!

Denise has since sold her beloved O'30, so she may not be as responsive as she once was. But show us what you got, and we'll do what we can to help you.

[EDIT] Suggest that you start a new thread, as many people that could help you may have unsubscribed from this train wreck.

#27 ·
... and along comes Denise to prove me wrong! YAY! :)

#28 ·
Yay.......Thank you both for your replies. I will start new threads from here on out but thought this would be a good way to find you all....

Denise- Yes, my gal (newly named the "Nauti Nikki" after my wife) has been stored outside in Northeastern Montana for the last 3 years, UNCOVERED, by the previous owner. And I would agree with this idea. It has been raining/snowing since Saturday night non stop and I have noticed a small drip has started inside my hole from one of the layers of fiberglass. She has a lot of open screw holes in her that I will either patch or fill with a screw.

Pictures coming soon.... I think the rain will be stopping this afternoon and as they say... 1000 words.

Thank you all again for this great service and help.

Cheers,
Craig

#29 ·
Hello All,
Here is what I found out today. I pulled the drain plug from the lower stern and water gushed out and the level in my "table hole" where the extra bilge pump is, dropped. Now the question is, where is it coming from?

I am also looking for the outer part of a Lewmar #8. Port side is missing, starboard side is good. Any thoughts?

Attachments

#30 ·
EBay, or marine consignment shops for the #8 water gets in old boats, good it's not leaking right out! Get some beach in there Craig as it dries mildew and mold start growing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.