New! Mariner 2+ 2 Oday 19ft Mast Help! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-22-2015 Thread Starter

Smile New! Mariner 2+ 2 Oday 19ft Mast Help!

Hello!

I am a first time sail boat owner. I am picking up a 19ft Oday Mariner 2 +2 on Sunday.

This is a project that will require some wood/ ribs work, and also I will need to find a new mast for it. I believe the mast is about 25 feet. Does anyone know where I could acquire one for a fair price?

I am hoping to buy a used one. This boat is sought after, and sails well and is made to be a trailerable day sailer. This model has a fixed keel that might need some work as well. Sails are good, and so is the hull.

I am very excited! Does anyone have one of these, or had any experience? I will post picture on Sunday.

A nice review on the boat:
sailnet.com/forums/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=39
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-22-2015

Re: New! Mariner 2+ 2 Oday 19ft Mast Help!

Sometimes it is easier and cheaper to buy a derelict boat with a good mast than find and buy a mast by itself. Where are you located? I would be scanning Craigslist for such a junk boat.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 12 Old 10-22-2015 Thread Starter

I agree, I originally wanted to get a full ready to sail - sail boat.

I am lucky that my friend is giving me this boat and trailer for free! It actually already has a mast for it, but it is about 5 feet short. I wonder if I could use this mast? I would probably have to get sails that fit it.

I would like to find one that is the stock height. Here is a picture of the boat as it is now. I live in Burlington, VT, and I will be sailing on Lake Champlain.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-22-2015 Thread Starter

Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
00707_avCbQxzBddG_600x450.jpg  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-22-2015

With a mast that is 5 feet shorter the boat will not sail very well, as it will not have the sail area it needs. In strong winds that would be a good thing, but on inland lakes that is rarely the case. Also, finding the sails would be problematic. With a taller mast you will also need new wires for the stays. Not sure if your boom is proper size. I would be looking for some old boats that have good mast and sails, as buying them separately is really expensive.

Plato
post #6 of 12 Old 10-22-2015

Join the Mariner Class Association and ask your question on that forum: Home - Mariner Class Association

You an get a new mast from DRMarine.com $625 for spar only; I think that's a fair price. Double for spar + hardware; triple for complete mast and rigging.

Is your boat rigged for a too-short mast?

When you add all your costs plus whatever work the keel needs, you might find that your free boat will cost you more than buying a used one that is in good condition. Don't spend any money on your boat until you find the mast that you will use.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-22-2015 Thread Starter

I think you are both right. I would want the correct height mast.

My other option is a 1971 Catalina 22 with a trailer, swing keel, engine, electric build pump, and all sails/riggings for $2000

I am thinking that I may go for both. I can take my time to work on the Mariner, and I can use the Catalina in the spring since it will be ready to go.

I have hear good things about the Catalinas, would you agree?

Thanks again for all of your input!

I figure I will spend 1500 to get the Mariner on the water, maybe more, and that does not include my time. So a ready to go boat makes sense.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-22-2015

C22 that is ready to go for 2 grand is a good buy. Much better boat than O'Day 19. Buying a new mast for that boat would make no sense to me. You could salvage what you can from the O'day and scrap the rest. Sometimes boats just have to be put out of their misery.

Plato
post #9 of 12 Old 10-22-2015

I agree. Without knowing anything about the C22, I'm guessing you'll spend another $1000 fixing it up and buying the accessories you'll need. You'll have plenty of boat projects on your hands with that one; you don't want to have a project boat like the Mariner cluttering up your life - just ask the person who is offering to give you the boat. If you want to work on small boats, then it's a different story, but if you want to sail, get a boat that can sail immediately and leave the project boats for others.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-22-2015

LOL, sometimes we forget what it's like to be starting out and fixing up an old boat.

Get on the Mariner Association web site and ask around. Someone may be parting out an old boat. Check on Yahoo Groups and see if there is a Mariner group. If so join and ask the same question. Is there a good used boat gear store in your area? You may be able to find a lot of what you need there.

You said it has good sails? Hell even if you went with a new mast and dropped a grand on a complete package you're only in the boat for a grand plus whatever you spend on fiberglass and odds and ends.

If you end up at $1,500 or even $2,000 all in, that's a LOT of grins for the money.

Oh and the Catalina 22 is a fun boat too - I used to own one.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.