• 1 Post By roverhi
  • 1 Post By celenoglu
  • 1 Post By PaulinVictoria
  • 1 Post By Faster
  • 1 Post By roverhi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-14-2016 Thread Starter

Chafed halyard

This weekend my halyard which is many years old got jammed in the track at the top of my mast and as I was frantically trying to to free it to bring down the mainsail it produced the following mess. See attached photo. It seems it's only the outer casing that is frayed. I would rather not purchase a new halyard. Could I whip it or apply another technique?
Attached Thumbnails
20160614_184138_1465948159032.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2016

Re: Chafed halyard

Just cut ott the snap shackle, whip the end and use a bowline to attach the halyard to the sail. Got rid of most of the snapshackles on my halyards 40 years ago. Shackles on halyards are not needed, just a conspiracy by the hardware manufacturers to sell more gear. The shackles are also dangerous if the halyard gets loose. Not fun to get banged in the head by a loose halyard.
zeehag likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-15-2016

If length permits cut at the point chafe and use the rest of the rope but I recommend to buy new rope.
zeehag likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-15-2016
Remember you're a womble

Cut it, whip it, tie the shackle on (doesn't look to be a snap shackle) with a halyard knot, go sailing. Of course you also need to address why it chafed through that spot in the first place.
zeehag likes this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-15-2016
Just another Moderator

Most likely the halyard ran off the sheave.. this is something that might happen again so an inspection is in order, as Paul in V indicated.

We too got rid of the shackle years ago.. and quite happily and easily tie the mainsail halyard on.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 8 Old 06-15-2016
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We too got rid of the shackle years ago.. and quite happily and easily tie the mainsail halyard on.
The halyard connection point to my mainsail appears to be 2 steel plates sandwiching the head of the mainsail with a hole cut through them for the shackle. Seems like they would cut through a halyard fairly quickly. Are there different types of connections used? I'm guessing mine is out of date and possibly not used anymore?

S/V Little Tortuga - 1969 Pearson Wanderer 30
post #7 of 8 Old 06-15-2016
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
The halyard connection point to my mainsail appears to be 2 steel plates sandwiching the head of the mainsail with a hole cut through them for the shackle. Seems like they would cut through a halyard fairly quickly. Are there different types of connections used? I'm guessing mine is out of date and possibly not used anymore?
Our headboard has a cringle pressed in there.. a nice, rounded chafe free profile.

I've seen what you describe, and the sharp edges would indeed be a problem for your knotted halyard.

Add a cringle, or take a file and round those edges off to address this.
scubadoo likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 8 Old 06-15-2016

A lot of sails were made with aluminum pieces riveted together for the head board. Have that on current boat with no problems with wear on the halyard even after 24/7/15 voyage. Might radius the eye on the headboard with a file if you wanted to be careful. When you tie on the halyard, the wear point on the halyard varies with each time it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
scubadoo likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.