New O'Day 31 Owner - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-18-2016 Thread Starter

New O'Day 31 Owner

Hi everyone,

I'm a new O'Day 31 owner on the Northern Chesapeake. We've been out Jib sailing a few times with great results. Looking forward to the Summer Sailstice this weekend! I do have a few questions for other 31 owners out there if you're willing to respond. Thanks!

Cheers!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-18-2016
One of None

Re: New O'Day 31 Owner

Welcome aboard I had an O30 for close to 10 years. oh yes those mast head rigs Create a "too much trouble to raise the main" feeling when day sailing. On the other hand She was a slug with the main only.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-18-2016 at 09:04 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-18-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Welcome from another O'day owner.

I have a 35, with a 135% genoa. She sails well in almost anything that I want (or will) bring her out in. The trick is to balance the center of effort on the sails, so that she has a little bit of weather helm. You do this by reefing either or both sails when appropriate. Flying the jib alone will give you lee helm, and you really don't want that.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Mine came with two mains and a 135% and 155%. Planning on getting the main up this weekend and getting that balance. So far we've been fair weather sailors but well work up to more wind speed as we get more comfortable. We were getting 4+ knots off the jib. Unfortunately the masthead windspeed instrument is missing so I don't know what the actual wind speed was at the time. We were on a beam reach.

Cheers
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2016
One of None

This time of the year on the chessy... even a deck sweeping 200 may not be enough with dead air of July and August!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #6 of 10 Old 07-02-2016 Thread Starter

Other than the winds being very shifty last weekend we found enough wind to get us to Cara Cove, cooked dinner on the hook and swam. We're gradually learning the idiosyncrasies of the boat. We got the main up an fairly well trimmed but we have a ways to go to squeeze all the speed out of her. The important part was that we had a great time. Have a new main halyard on the way and some new windows to replace the cracked and leaky ones that came with her.

Cheers

Last edited by nedlandsharpoon; 07-10-2016 at 01:56 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-02-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Congratulations. Sounds like you're having a great time!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks Scotty, we're loving it and can't wait to get her out on the water this weekend!

Cheers!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2016 Thread Starter

We've had several amazing sails. We pulled the new halyard through today. This weekend I'm down with my Step Dad who's also interested in sailing. We had a great cruise from Charlestown to Cara Cove. We anchored out, had dinner, a swim and in general a great time. A quick squall passed but just rain and no wind. Good times all around. I've got a go pro like cam, I'll try to post some fun sailing vids. Have not seen many out this weekend.

I also met another fellow O'Day owner today who has an O'Day 28. I'll see if he joins the forum or if I have to hit him up on VHF. Good sailing to all.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
FILE0017.jpg  

Last edited by nedlandsharpoon; 07-10-2016 at 01:57 AM. Reason: punctuation
post #10 of 10 Old 07-10-2016 Thread Starter

Smile Re: New O'Day 31 Owner

Halyard replacement... the old one was so beat I cut through the rope like butter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160709_140304.jpg  

Last edited by nedlandsharpoon; 07-10-2016 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.