SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Here's a rare one, 40ft

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
Less then 2 miles from me. It's been there since 2012 according to sailboatlisiting. but I've never gone to even look at it. I heard it has soft decks.

all that aside. I heard that O40's are pretty rare.

See less See more
#8 ·
nobody likes soft decks, but it's not the worst thing in the world. As always, the questions are, how much deck area needs to be repaired, what is the boat's condition otherwise, what price can you negotiate, and, all things considered, is it a good value.
go for it!!

#9 ·
deniseO30;3563641 I heard that O40's are pretty rare. [/QUOTE said:
Mainly rare because it was the end of the days they were being built and at the same time many builders went out of business. I had a 1988 Cal-39 that was rare because only a few got built and it sit new till 1990 before it sold due to the economy.

#15 ·
I happened to do a drive by last week. that O40 is sitting there on the hard. I did not get out to see it but the hull is very moldy. I'm guessing someone feel out of love with her. Shame. but not for me. Even If I could afford to buy her I can't afford to keep her.

#16 · (Edited)
The O'Day 39 and 40 was not all that rare as boats this size go. The design was developed jointly by O'Day and Jenneau based on a successful Briand designed IOR racer of that era. Jenneau constructed the hull tooling and most of the common tooling. There was a lot which was similar, there were also a lot of differences. Most were cosmetic but some were not.

The Jenneau's were thought to have more hand built interior components, and the O'Day more molded fiberglass components. The Jenneau's generally seemed a little better finished interiors with varnished bulkheads and the like.

I believe that after the first few boats which had cast iron keels, the O'Day 39's had lead keels while the Jenneau's had iron keels.

The O'Day 40 was an updated version. Ray Hunt's office penned the revisions.

As far as I know all of the O'DAY 40's and most of the O'Day 39's were built at O'Day's Fall River plant. The Jenneau's were all built in France.

There were all kinds of conflicting info on these boats. I have heard mention that the first O'Day 39's were built at Jenneau and most of the 39's without centerboards had iron keels.

But there is less conflicting info on the 40 which were definitely buit at O'Day in Fall River with lead keels.
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.