SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   O'Day (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/)
-   -   Oday 30 keel concerns, New member here too! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/25864-oday-30-keel-concerns-new-member-here-too.html)

deniseO30 11-27-2006 04:25 PM

Oday 30 keel concerns, New member here too!

Greetings all!
I was reading (on another forum) about the keel tearing itself loose on someone else's O-30 but the thread died and I never found out how it was fixed if it ever was. I would like to prevent such a thing happening to my boat.

Anyway, My boat is on the hard now and after looking at the bottom I can see the outline of the Keel flange? And on the starboard side near the keel there is some filler that looks like it's popping off bolt heads? I dunno.. I was told by the surveyor that it just needs proper filling and fairing which We can do. HOWEVER...:confused: Duh... I can't find any pictures or explainations of how the keel was actually attached/molded/glued to the hull? Are there actually stringers under the floor near the bilge and they hold it in place? Was it really molded as part of the hull? Please.. if anyone really knows in detail how Oday really did the keel I'd be very gratful. I guess I'm looking more for peace of mind then we can go on and fill fair and barrier coat the bottom.
thanks all!
Denise

wlcoxe 11-28-2006 07:20 AM

ODay 30 keel

I looked up the thred on the other forum, and although, as you said, there was no follow-up on the repairs, the keel IS encapsulated, as it was on my ODay 28. I have no idea what the "bolt holes" you refer to could be, but I would think you can trust the surveyor's assessment. If not, try Rudy at D & R Marine in Mass. He knows most things ODay, and use the phone, not email. You can get the number off the web site. Good luck,
Bill Coxe, O40, New London, CT

sailingfool 11-28-2006 10:39 AM

Encapsulated keel

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlcoxe
I looked up the thred on the other forum, and although, as you said, there was no follow-up on the repairs, the keel IS encapsulated as it was on my ODay 28. I have no idea what the "bolt holes" you refer to could be, but I would think you can trust the surveyor's assessment. If not, try Rudy at D & R Marine in Mass. He knows most things ODay, and use the phone, not email. You can get the number off the web site. Good luck,

Denise did not mention a centerboard, so I am assuming her post is about the fin keel model, if she has a centerboard, the following advice would not apply!

I don't know the Oday 30 fin keel model personally but it would amaze me if a fin keel hull designed in the late '70s had "encapsulated" ballast, that just does not compute at all. It just has to be another bolt-on, external lead fin like any other fin keel...Maybe there's confusion about the meaning (and maybe I'm wrong in doubting!), perhaps a 30 expert can clarify.

Assuming the model does have the typical bolt-on external lead keel, then I think the following thead is relevant to Denise's concerns, which I would expect to be unfounded.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...eel-bolts.html

lho 11-28-2006 10:59 AM

I had an O'Day 30, 1979, Hull #100. It had an encapsulated, lead fin keel.

sailingfool 11-28-2006 03:16 PM

Encapsulated keel

Quote:

Originally Posted by lho
I had an O'Day 30, 1979, Hull #100. It had an encapsulated, lead fin keel.

Wow, live and learn...I guess then that the encapsulated definition means that there are no keel bolts that served to attach the ballast to the hull and ,that there is a layer of structural glass surrounding all sides of the keel whose function was to keep the ballast in place? Sure sounds like an odd-ball and expensive way to build a modern fin!

Perhaps this comment from the original post is confused "...And on the starboard side near the keel there is some filler that looks like it's popping off bolt heads..."

deniseO30 11-28-2006 04:15 PM

No keel bolts. fin keel model. I tend to think in worse case scenieros about things. The bottom near the keel on the starboard side has a row of bumps showing and it really looks like the outline of a flange. The filler looks like 5200. For such an old boat the bottom is remarkably smooth and well painted otherwise. Rudder needs attention, though I'm waiting for that to dry out. My worry is that "encapsulated" may mean it's just a fiberglass keel that was filled and attached to the bottom. Question is... How would it go on? dropped in or glued to the bottom? dropped in seems the logical way. I'm sure when they built the boats the molds weren't different for the centerboard boats. I would like to figure out a way to make sure I'm not going to have probs later as the yrs go by. I'm not opposed to opening up the floor on either side of the bilge to access or install stringers either. I will call Rudy at D&R as I've been meaning to anyway.
thanks for the input everyone! I think I like this place!

wlcoxe 11-28-2006 06:15 PM

Encapsulated keel means that the keel was manufactured as part of the hull, then the lead was put in, then the rest of the boat assembled. One result is that you don't get the "Catalina grin", as I have heard the separation line betwixt hull and keel referred to. Would love to know what those "bolt-heads" are, though. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

deniseO30 11-29-2006 10:52 AM

think I'll dig out

the filler and see whats under there. maybe take some pictures. there are 3catalinas in my boat club and they all have the "catalina smile" One member has a errickson 32 with a keel like Oday had. very smooth!
thanks everyone!

RickBoaden 12-17-2006 11:39 PM

Oday 30 keel

Denise,
I own a '78 Oday 30 with the fin keel, I have done a complete rehab of the boat one of the things I had to do was strip the bottom and fix a few blisters during this process I noted some small cracks in the hull around the front and rear sides of the keel they were like gelcoat cracks. I ground them out and found they were in a fill fairing compound that had been used to fair the hull keel joint, the actual keel hull glass joint was sound. It looks like Oday used a separate keel moulding and bonded it to the hull ( no bolts ). To fix the joint was ground out to remove all of the fill and recovered with glass mat and epoxy untill fair (a lot of work and all overhead ). I made this fix 3 years ago and sail the boat about 3 to 4 times a week in the summer in all conditions, I haul out every winter and the keel takes about 30% to 40% of the boats weight no sign of any further problems with this area.
Hope this answers your questions.

deniseO30 01-09-2007 06:30 PM

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the input! It's been a few weeks sinice I've accessed the site though!
I'm gatering up supplies for the pending bottom redo and plan to start scraping and sanding next month. We'll dig out the bad and fill and fair the joint too. Not a job we enjoy, but it should be easier then it was on my hunter23 which was on a trailer.
fair winds!
Denise