SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Keel Hull joint

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  FrankLanger 
#1 ·
This is my first year on the Hard with my O'Day 28. I have been asking around about the Keel hull joint. I was informed that instead of using expoxy and fairing the keel that I could simply clear out the old debri in the joint and then simply use 5200 to redo the joint. Then after it harden simply paint over. Please let me know your thoughts.

#3 ·
85 O'Day does have Keel bolted

I did follow up on the O'Day 28s. I was informed by Rudy of D&R Marine who was a former employee of O'Day that in 83 the re-tooled and went to a cast iron bolt on keel. In 84-85 they went to lead bolt on keels. Given that I am still looking for feed back on the original post.

#6 ·
If your keel nuts are properly torque I would not expect any movement from your keel. However I guess that could depend on the boat construction. Marintex is very hard so it might crack if flexed but it is very strong and bonds very well. I have used it for this purpose about 3 times with good results.

Will be putting some on my current boat shortly, it is one I purchased last year and am in the process of replacing the final 2 keel nuts and washers and retorquing them all.

Gary

#9 ·
Yes theoretically you are supposed to use a torque wrench. You would have to get the proper values from the builder or some where else like a class board. However on my 30 ft boat I have been given 2 specs, 250 and 400 foot pounds so I chose to use the higher value.

Not everyone has access to a large torque wrench so typically 400 pounds of torque is about all an average man could get on it with a 20 to 30 inch socket handle. In most cases you are compressing on solid glass so I personally do not see a problem with being a bit on the high side.

#10 ·
I have heard that to do this properly, one needs to have the boat on dry dock and the keel supported; otherwise the weight of the keel would make it almost impossible to tighten the bolts properly. If this is so, trying to retorque the keel bolts with the boat in the water would not be effective. Does anyone know if this is true?
Frank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.