Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007

NewburyportWags is on a distinguished road
Question Info on the O'Day Outlaw??

I am looking into buying a 1969 O'Day Outlaw, but have had a really hard time finding much info online. Has anyone had any experience with the Outlaw that they would care to share? I am looking for anything from basic specs to personal experiences (good and bad) to known issues that I should be aware of. Thanks.

-Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2007

schwech is on a distinguished road
outlaw

I have a outlaw and I have a friend who also has one. They are great boats that handle well and are surprizingly fast. We also both had the same problem with water in the aft compartments. In the storage area under the seats. He would find quite a bit of water after a sail and I found it all the time. I moored my boat in rougher conditions so it might of splashed in from the motor well. We also think the water may come in through the rudder post but never quite fiqured it out. The next biggest problem is the motor well. Any outboard you put in the get splashed constintly. My outboard age 10 years in one summer. It's a pain to put it in and take it out and it is a tight fit. The largest outboard I could squeeze in at the time I bought the boat was a 5 hp. A little underpowered fo a boat that size. I love the boat but I would try to put a mount off the transom for your outboard.
Old 12-19-2008
Sausalito, California

Scurvysailor is on a distinguished road
Kick down with more reports about your incredible Outlaw. I want one so bad I may end up moving to the east coast from California. MORE! MORE!
Old 12-24-2008
Sausalito, California

Every known picture on the internet of the Outlaw are now posted in "The Outlaw Files" photo file on the Oday Owners Yahoo Group.

We're looking for MORE pictures, MORE information, and MORE OUTLAW enthusiasts! So head on over there and post YOUR pictures in "The Outlaw Files"!

More than that, WE NEED AN OUTLAW WEBSITE! Anyone enthusiastic AND web savvy enough to want to spearhead that? Come on over to the Oday Owners Yahoo Group or contact me directly.

I'm still actively looking to buy an OUTLAW on the west coast... that, assuming there is even one over here. Any leads of a west coast OUTLAW, please, please contact me. Almost any condition is ok. As well, if you own one over on the east coast, I might be coerced into building a trailer out there and towing one back. Let me know one way or another, but I'm NOT rich, so a derelict example is likely all I'll be able to afford.

Thanks, Brian
707 477-7740
Old 12-27-2009

Taslawmed is on a distinguished road
Re 1969 Outlaw

NOV 10, 2013: 1969 O'DAY OUTLAW FOR SALE: I've decided, once again, to sell her (so that NOGIN's remark below is now obsolete. I had decided to keep her when I first advertised a few years ago, but I now do wish to sell her.)

Classic philip rhodes design, built when men were men and fiberglass was fiberglass! The hull and decks are sturdy strong and stiff; they do not bend when pushed or stepped on.

in an inboard well so that it does not show is a 9.9 evinrude (2 cycle) in perfect working order, with electric key start in the cockpit, with throttle and gear shift also in the cockpit where they should be. Two batteries connected in series with built-in charger, and switch so that either battery or both may be operative at any given time.

It flies three sails at once: Main, jib, and foresail. Spinnaker is, o course, aboard as well. 110 v power cord, with connection for 110 volt electricity inside. Cockpit cushions, life jackets, bumpers, fire extinguisher. Propane stove, built-in icebox. Brand new wooden doors.

The cockpit combing (teak) and the rub rail (teak) need light sanding plus teak oil. Needs bunk cushions as well (about $500)

no leaks --none - none anywhere. Some others report water in the after compartment. My boat does not- not- not have this problem.

Sleeps four. Has built in head (illegal, however, and should be replaced with a self-contained legal head, holding tank, (or porta-pottie?)). The buy-it-right -now price is $4,500; or, will be sold to best offer made before December 1, 2013

Winter storage is paid -- good until April 15, 2014.

Last edited by Taslawmed; 11-10-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-23-2010
Banned

nogin is on a distinguished road
I am considering grabbing a 1968 Outlaw that is in shambles and rebuild her. She is actually #2 behind a very nice '74 Seafarer 24 that I am 2nd in line for. this Outlaw has been very neglected and allowed inches worth of standing water to sit in the salon. Needless-to-say, she is in very bad shape but something about her style draws me to her!

BTW - The above mentioned Outlaw is no longer for sale. Taslawmed decided to keep her!!

Last edited by nogin; 04-24-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2010

calden is on a distinguished road
Hey all:

I'm in the market for boat and have been perusing Craigslist ads within 5 hours drive of me. Found this in Seattle, and while looking up info on it saw that a couple of you guys are drooling quite heavily. If anyone reading this is still jonesing for an Outlaw there's one available...

1965 O'day outlaw sailboat

Carlos
Old 08-09-2010

sonosail is on a distinguished road
If you don't have these pictures, you are welcome to use them.
OUTLAW 26 (O'DAY ) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2011

Bizzyrne is on a distinguished road
Outlaw

Just FYI, I own the 1965 outlaw in Seattle. Im still looking to sell it, but its not really a great market for selling sailboats.

I also have water collecting in the compartment under the outboard well. I put in two access hatches to let it breathe when it wasn't in use, but that didn't solve it. Now I've drilled a hole in the bulkhead in the very bottom to allow the water in that compartment to drain out into the compartment under the **** pit. Once it drys out, Im going to pour in some epoxy to make sure all the nooks and crannys are filled in so water will stop collecting back there. If I dont do anything about it, I'll have to replace that bulkhead. Something I dont want to do.
Old 04-25-2011
Sausalito, California

Hello fellow Outlaw drivers! Indeed, I found my Outlaw, a fine example from Marta's Vineyard, and lucky for me, found in Olympia Washington. That said, it appears that there are at least TWO examples of the Outlaw on the west coast, however PLEASE ADVISE if you have seen, heard of, or have any evidence of any other example on the west coast. Interesting reading about the issues you other owners are having, I too, have a difficult to contain minimal and mysterious leakage in the aft lockers, otherwise, she is a dry boat. I'm proud to be caring for hull number 55, and prouder still that I've located all but one owner all the way back to the new purchase in 1967 from Milford Boat Works in Connecticut. She is "Renegade", and sitting pretty in Sausalito right now.

Any other Outlaw people out there?