Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Oday 30 Raw water flow and folding props

I love my Oday!

A few things...

Now that I've had my O30 a year, and I didn't ck before the splash this spring. Would anyone know what size and rotation folding prop/s fit the Oday 30? I has a Universal 5416 diesel.

Also. It's never even come close to over heating and (the 5416 has a oberdorfer pump) But, the water flow out the exhaust is not typical of other boats I see. Most shoot a large stream of water about every 10-20 seconds. Mine only makes a continous sputter and small shots of water when on higher rpms. All the lines are clear and strainer is also. Heat exchanger I thnk is new. The flow of water to the dripless shaft seal is quite high and we cut that back by using a smaller water tube. Still I'm not happy with the output flow. The exhaust hose rises almost 3ft above the muffler in a arching curve and the muffler is about 16" below the exhaust manifold.

One other thing bothers me. When ever the boat is motoring the exhaust outlet is in the backwash of the boat.. Should it be above the motoring water line? It doesnt' seem to hurt anything but it really makes a mess of the transom and even gets one's backside wet if they are sitting behind the wheel on top the transom.

Denise

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Hi Denise,

Post this question on the O'Day e-mail list. You will get a better response. At the top of this page click on resources then e-mail list and sign up under the O'Day e-mail. O'day owners there are very helpfull.

Dennis
O'Day 302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-13-2007

capnjim02 is on a distinguished road
O'Day conserns

denise; first the exhaust being under water when motoring is normal. when under power the stern squats about 7 or 8". the high loop is there so that under certain circumstances such as running under sail with big following seas that the water can't get past the anti siphon loop to back up into the engine.
i can't help you a lot on the prop size for your boat as mine has a yanmar. prop rotation should be clockwise as viewed from the stern. as to size that depends on the gear reduction of trans. my guess for size would be a 15" dia w/ a 10" pitch or maybe a 15/9. i have a 15/12 on mine, but i know its over propped and i have to get it cut down. over propping isn't a good thing as it overloads the engine. 15" dia is the biggest dia folding prop that can be put on it because , when folded it would interfere with the rudder.
get used to the dirty transom, its just the nature of this beast. I have to clean mine down several times every season.
if the engine isn't overheating i wouldn't worry about it.
S/V Que Pasa?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.