Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007

sailsdd is on a distinguished road
O'Day 30 Rub Rail

I am considering purchasing an O'Day 30. Although the entire black rubber portion of the rub rail is intact, there are two or three places where 12-15" sections of the white plastic-like material below the rubber strip are broken and/or missing. Inside, there are mildew areas on the hull liner material, that may correspond to those sections of missing rub rail.

Does the missing plastic portion of the rub rail, probably resulting from impact with docks or pilings, create problems? Can the missing sections create, and does the mildew indicate issues with the hull-deck joint? How extensive is the process for replacing the missing sections of rub rail?

Of course, I would have the boat surveyed before purchase. But I will avoid that expense and move on, if these issues are potentially structural.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
sailsdd I have a O30 too

and parts of the rubrail are missing just like you describe, the deck overhangs the hull so it's not likely to leak... doesn't seem to on mine. The carpet on the inside is just a nasty mildew collector and it's falling off in places. Also when the boat is closed up and the weather goes from hot and humid to cool it can almost rain inside with the condensation. To access the bolts for stanchions, wiring and stuff you have to pull the top edge of the carpet down. Which could be why its already mildewy. The stancion over the nav station is a real potential leaker.

What year is it? fin keel? Diesel?

good luck!

Denise
Old 08-26-2007

sailsdd is on a distinguished road
Denise: Thanks for posts on both forums. I appreciate the information very much. She is a 1982, keel-centerboard shoal draft, diesel. In eastern NC, the shoal draft is very attractive - and hard to find. I have enjoyed reading your posts, ref. keel. Hope all is well. Take care. Scott
Old 08-27-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
way cool!

Scott!.. I think that's a great keel set up to have!. You shouldn't have any problems on the ICW. the fin on mine is 4'11"

From past reading I've done on centerboarders you may want to make very very sure yours will be/is ok... a few O30s have lost em to Davy Jones. If you buy the boat I'd hope you keep the CB secure and in good repair. I'd like to see some pictures of a O30 CB sometime hope you can post a few. I wonder how the main salon was laid out with the CB trunk in the middle?

Good luck!