Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
My wife and I just removed the liner on our O'day 35 this fall. First we pulled the covering off, ripped it off. We then scrapped the foam off with slightly sharpened scrappers (wear gloves to avoid blistering your hands). Then sprayed the remaining glue with a product called "Contractor's Solvent" from the hardware store, and used a scrub brush and water. This stuff is citrius based so no heavy chemical fumes. You could also use one of the latex/adhesive removers (ie. Glue-gone or Goof-Off), use citrus base, you don't want/need the fumes, too dangerous. Then scrub down a few times with soap and water, rinse well, to get rid of the excess solvent. We also scrubbed down with Clorox 2 to get rid of any mildew or "smelly" stuff. New liner and adhesive is available from marine supply or RV supply houses. I believe we ordered ours from "Defender". A lot of work but removal helped get rid of the boat smell. In the middle of major refit so we haven't installed the new liner yet.
"The hardest way is usually the easiest way."
"All I have to do is............."