Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009

Flfishindude is on a distinguished road
Oday fix up question 2

I ordered a couple of differnt types of plugs for the holes in the liner and will let everyone know which ones work best.

Now for Q2, in the midst of cleaning up around the engine I found broken water line. The line ran from the heat exchanger raw water line and to the down side of exaust hose. It is a small line about 1/8 maybe 1/4. It puts raw water in the exaust pipe. Seems to me the exaust system has plenty of water going through it ( from the amount coming out the exaust ) Is this line really necessary or can I just block it off??

Q3 -- I would like to install spreader lights, does anyone know if it is possible to drop a wire inside the mast?

Thanks to all.... We are having a blast upgrading our 31 Oday. Am in the middle of complete redo of the cabin. Would be thrilled to hear 30 - 31 owners that have any of the original manuals and would share a copy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2009

cruiserdave is on a distinguished road
Can't give you an answer about the wet exhaust.

We have a 35 and just rerigged the mast (off the boat). There are 2 PVC chases in our mast. I suppose you could run a fish-tape down, drill a hole in the bottom of the mast, and pull it through. We had radar installed a few years ago. They just dropped the wire down the mast. We have been listening to that wire rattle around since. One of the first things I did was to rap that wire with foam pipe insulation.

As to the manual. Try the site iheartodays dot com.
Old 02-02-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
dude, is your engine the universal 5416? you may have the same set up as mine. and you would have a anti-siphon loop high up but still under the cockpit floor. Most likely it's the overflow or bleed line from the anti-siphon valve (gray plastic by vetus) mine was bad. replaced it with a bronze type. no water should be flowing thru it unless the anti siphon is bad.

Do you have external halyards for the main and jib? many of the masts were made by Isomat and rigright . com is the supplier for parts. no reason you can't run wires but I think you will find there is a conduit inside also. My whole mast needs to be pulled and rewired properly.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 02-02-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2009

Denise, yes we have the same engine. I do think it is an anti siphon line. The water is coming FROM the exaust line back toward the engine. I am having a new bronze piece made to replace the plastic one. It has been too cold to go up the mast to see about running some wires. It is getting in the 70's this week, so will try to get up there and take a look.

Does anyone know where the zincs are on the engine? I haven't been able to find them to check them and can not find them on the engine drawing. Thanks to all for the info.
Old 02-08-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
FD the line is not supposed to letting water out. if it is the anti-siphon is is leaking, needs replacement. There are 2 pencil zincs in the heat exchanger that I know of. there should be one on the prop shaft too. Good luck!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2009

Sackettbw is on a distinguished road
I have an original O'Day 31 Manual, but only my copy. Have you found a copy yet?
Old 04-17-2009

No, I have not found one. If you would make me a copy, I would gladly send you whatever it costs to copy and send and then some. I took a five gallon bucket of old wires out of the boat yesterday and am almost ready to start putting the boat back together. I am sure there is some good info in the manual. Thank you for contacting me. Rick
Old 04-17-2009

Sackettbw is on a distinguished road
You know it just occured to me that you can get some of the manuals on-line. I have the URLS at work, but I'm leaving for vacation (BVI!!) early in the a.m., and won't be back for a week. I think it was Torrenson Marine. Sorry! I'll check when I get back. Brian