Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010

sailingcal21 is on a distinguished road
The model number of the tank from Karma is FMT-30-BPM. The replacement tank will be of a thicker gauge and will be painted, no doubt to reduce the opportunity for corrosion.
I've posted the pictures that I took during removal at this link: Picasa Web Albums - SailingCal21 - O'Day 34 Fuel...

I'm really interested in the source of your leak on the tank. Please post pics...before you chop it up
1981 O'Day 34
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2010

Denise, I was concerned that we had high-jacked your original posting, but I see that the title is Tank Remove/Replace, which is generic enough. Hope you don't mind.
1981 O'Day 34
Old 10-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Don't mind at all really.. I can see your starboard bunk looks near identical to my O30. what does the port side look like? Your tank is bigger I've since realized. I was wr wr wrrong? LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2010

We removed the board and tried the port side but it wouldn't fit. I too resisted cutting the fiberglass, but in the end that was the best solution. I think that one of my after pictures shows the port side from the starboard side. I'll post those as well.
1981 O'Day 34
Old 10-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
We pulled the hose off the muffler and moved the anti siphon loop and fuel lines to get the tank over the transmission if I remember right, it happened so fast that day! LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-07-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2010

Sailoday34 is on a distinguished road
Smile Update on tank

Well, I talked with the manufacturer (Florida Tank Company) and agreed to a replacement price. They sent me the original drawing which I verified this past weekend to be correct. It will take a 3"x18" cut as Sailingcal21 discussed earlier. Given the tank is shot, I have elected to remove the front board pull the tank forward (after cleaning) and cut into two parts to remove.

I am ordering a replacement 3" shorter which reduces the tank volume from slightly over 30gal to 26 gal which I can live with. consequently, I will not have to cut any fiberglass.

As a side note, I have found that Rule makes a 1 1/2" diameter submersible pump that drops neatly throught the full guage hole to remove the diesel and also remove the cleaning solution to clean out the tank. The pump comes with 12 Volt connections plus has a rechargeable battery. This is going to be the ticket for cleaning the bilge and other things in the future. Bought it at West Marine.
Old 10-20-2010

Sailoday34 is on a distinguished road
Also, as a side note, my starboard engine hatch and the port laz had the exact same deminsions so I can put the new one in from either side.
Old 10-20-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

I've wondered about how Diesel would work being run through a pressure washer. with a swivel on the spray head.. it could be the answer!

my current "project"!
Old 11-12-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
BTW - The model FMT-30-BPM means "Florida Marine Tanks - 30 (gallon) - Bangor Punta Marine"

SailingCal21 or SailOday34 - Do either of you have the complete dimensions of the fuel tank? From SC21's pictures it appears that the forward dimension is 17" high, and from the posts the aft is 12" What are the side dimensions?

Better yet, can SO34 post, PM me with, the drawings?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

oh no.. not yours too Eherlihy?

my current "project"!