Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Tank remove/replace

Smelled diesel the other night.. checked this morning after spending the night on the boat.. yes it's true.. I'm the proud owner of a leaky fuel tank. It's not going to be easy to remove either! any O30 owners want to share the way you did it please let me know?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
on researching just casually it seems plastic and alum tanks are about the same price.. Also it looks like I tight squeeze to pull the tank to the starboard aft bunk area. ( won't have to remove water heater, steering, muffler etc. I'm taking pics of this project! more later

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
On fuel tanks I've had to replace, I cut the tops out, lined the inside with carpet, [after a thourough cleaning] and installed collapsable bladder tanks. The old tank protects it from puncture, the carpet from chafe, and eyebolts mounted in the corners of the old hold the grommets in the corners of the new tank. Bladder tanks require no vent so no air [or moisture ] bring contaminants into the fuel system.
Old 05-11-2009
1934 Chickering

Tank is OUT! didn't even have time to take pics!

Here is the way it came out.

Original tank is 26" long, 18" wide, and 14" high.

Removed all hoses, dropped the anti siphon loop and tied it back on the engine.
Removed the exhaust hose off the water muffler and tied it up and out on the steering pedestal.

Removed smelly fuel soaked plywood from forward side of tank.

Pulled the fuel soaked wood and plywood tank support frame from under the tank.

The tank then dropped with the filler ends high and towards the port.

Friends helped and we actually lifted it up, and slid it out under the the wires and cables, stood it on end in the lazrette.

Sawzall took the filler neck off since it was the only thing that would keep it from clearing the Laz lid opening.

Then with 2 pairs of vise grips on the edges they lifted it up and forward over the water heater and out!
The laz was snug but the tank did slide out!

Picking up new tank in the morning! 26lX16wX12h 19 gallons.
Hoping the new tank guage sending unit works with old gauge!

here again.. the worry about doing a nasty difficult job was worse then doing the actual work! (as last year when we dropped the rudder for shaft removal)

My boat is for sale.

Old 05-12-2009

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Congradulations

Most people take more time talking about the job than it takes to do the job.Glad to hear from someone that just gets it done.
Old 05-12-2009

sailingcal21 is on a distinguished road
Glad it worked out, I had all sorts of visions of removing the tank piece at a time, but it wasn't too much trouble once I got into the project.

At the cost of a sending unit it would probably be a good idea to replace it. Check the deck fill gasket while you have the tank disconnected from the fill. Run water over the deck fill and look for leaking on the inside, I was amazed to find the amount of water that was able to leak into the tank from a failed deck fill gasket.

If the new tank is aluminum pay attention to the installation so that there is no bare aluminum in contact with a wet or moist surface. Painting or padding will work. There are several documents about this on line here's a link to one: How to Install an Aluminum Fuel Tank : Boats, Yachts - Maintenance Repair and Troubleshooting
1981 O'Day 34
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Old 05-12-2009
1934 Chickering

going with poly from moeller, 19gal tank, my old tank was leaking pretty bad too! I looked inside the old one, there was sluge around the pick up tube location and the strainer on the pkup was really gunked up.

I'm going to have space under the new tank, wonder what I can store there that isn't needed often but needs to be on the boat. crossed my mind to relocate the water heater there.. but nah.

Thanks for all the moral support guys!

My boat is for sale.

Old 10-05-2009
1934 Chickering

Just an update! I think that I'm going to turn the new tank 90 degrees this winter. it's not baffled and the fuel really sloshes with the long side running port to starbrd. I'm glad it's easy to see the fuel level in this tank! The sending unit that came with the Moller tank either failed or the old guage failed, it did work on the trip to the bay back in June though!

My boat is for sale.

Old 10-05-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Is plastic a common use in a permanent sail tank setup? I ask because I have always seen metal...typically alu. When I replaced my tank, the yard never discussed anything other than another alu. Plastic may be just fine...I don't know either way.
Old 10-05-2009

sailingcal21 is on a distinguished road
The Moeller Poly tank is for permanent mounting.
1981 O'Day 34
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.