Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010

maa1994 is on a distinguished road
Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
kinda bites in the A$$ doesn't it? I've a 5416 and I beleive it's the same as yours. 2 cylinder.
Denise, just purchased a 29 Bristol and think we may have the same motor. Have you had to replace the thermostat on yours and what did you end up with?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Miguel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2010
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
My Universal M-12 stays around 145 and it should be up around 165 +. I think i need to change the thermostat. i have found a local tractor dealer that has the thermostat but it is rated at 180 degrees. the manual says my engine can run at 165 to 190 but i was wondering how the upper range would effect my heat exchanger and hot water heater. any thought on this? My concern is my pressure relief valve on the water heater
Old 07-18-2010

Flfishindude is on a distinguished road
Been there

Our 32 Oday has an m18 and the gage read about 140, so I purchased a new one from Torrenson and it still reads 140, it may be your gage rather then the thermostat.
Old 07-18-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello

My m25 has a 180 t stat and it runs great. No problems with the water heater. I think the 165 stat is for raw water cooled engine to keep the salt from precipitating out.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2010

flechenbones is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
My Universal M-12 stays around 145 and it should be up around 165 +. I think i need to change the thermostat. i have found a local tractor dealer that has the thermostat but it is rated at 180 degrees. the manual says my engine can run at 165 to 190 but i was wondering how the upper range would effect my heat exchanger and hot water heater. any thought on this? My concern is my pressure relief valve on the water heater
I have an M-12 that was running hot and overheating when I purchased it (or more accurately, right AFTER I purchased it). I have the temps running lower now after descaling the heat exchanger and pulling out four impeller vanes that the previous owner never looked for. I didn't notice any problems with the pressure relief valve on the water heater when it was running hot.
Old 01-12-2011

bahamamon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ODay 30 Universal 2416 waterpump

First post to sailnet. Thanks for all the tips on the Universal M20 5416. Waterpump failure sent me searching the net, and I found the sailnet forum. Apparently the kubota Z751 tractor engine is the same. The manufacturer was asking over $400 for the waterpump. I wanted to post the .com where I found it but don't want to violate protocol for sailnet. $143for the pump and $10 for the gasket. I'm a happy boy!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2011

EricktheRed is on a distinguished road
For anyone who is looking for their SERIAL NUMBER LOCATIONS for a 5411 here are the positions I have found. I would think this would apply to other Universals as well. Hope this helps

Stamped on upper left hand corner of block - ignition side - facing flywheel end (front of engine).

Stamped in block directly above flywheel housing, under front oil filler.

On engine nameplate located on reverse gear housing cover.

On engine nameplate located on engine manifold.
Old 02-28-2011

Bateau25 is on a distinguished road
My 5411 oil dipstick is marked "Z500" which I believe is the Kubota series numbering for this engine. From other posts n the past, Z500 was equated to the 5411. just my 2c!
Old 03-28-2011

TSL is on a distinguished road
yes, the parts cost much more when purchasing from a marine supply but how does the labor compare? My boat is currently on the hard in Wisconsin and a have contacted Kobota "service certified" dealer to go over it. They charge $90.00 per hour from the minute they leave the shop. How does that compare with local marine service?
I was planning to pull the engine and deliver it to the dealer but the service manager felt strongly that they could handle it in the boat. They want to do a compression check before we make any plans.
For more more good news on parts search the web for Re-manufactured Kobota engines. under $3000 for my 40 HP model 5444. This does not include swapping out, water pumps, alternators, etc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.