SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   O'Day (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/)
-   -   Do you have a Universal engine -- Read this! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/59789-do-you-have-universal-engine-read.html)

Flfishindude 11-13-2009 05:18 PM

Do you have a Universal engine -- Read this!

After many hours researching I have confirmend that Universal and Kabota are basically the same engine. Our M18 is a Kabota z600. The injectors that I purchased from Kabota worked perfectly in our m18. The BIG diference was the universal injectors were $315.00 each ... the Kabota were $69.00 and change. It seems the only " Universal " items needed are the items that are exclusive to marine.

deniseO30 11-13-2009 05:22 PM

kinda bites in the A$$ doesn't it? I've a 5416 and I beleive it's the same as yours. 2 cylinder.

jackytdunaway 11-14-2009 07:44 AM

I had to replace my water pump on my M-12 a few months ago. the marine folks wanted 300.00+ i got it from an agricultural dealer for 107.00

jknappsax 11-14-2009 11:17 AM

How did you determine which Kubota was equivalent?

I have an M4-30 Universal, and I'm curious how you figured it out. Is there a lookup table somewhere? Or did you look at Kubotas that seemed to be of the same configuration? Thanks.

Faster 11-14-2009 11:39 AM

This is great info for those with these engines.. any non-marinization part should be equivalent if not the same. I think all the makes except Volvo and Yanmar are based on existing engines from other sources.

In my field (instrumentation) we had a similar situation. The sensor for one company's oxygen analyzer cost $300+ - it was a Bosch sensor exactly the same (except for a couple of wires) as what you can buy at any autoparts store for $60. -That's a pretty expensive bit of wire!:rolleyes:

jackytdunaway 11-14-2009 12:04 PM

try this link

History of the Universal Motor Company 4

imagine2frolic 11-14-2009 12:09 PM

I use to have an Atomic. I first bought the tune up parts at Worst Marine. I later found out some Chevy parts would fit, and also forklifts. Cut the cost to 1/4 of what it was.......i2f

Flfishindude 11-14-2009 04:27 PM

I just happened to find a friendly Kabota dealer after MANY MANY calls to Kabota dealers. I found Tractor Smart 717-450-1250. They were very friendly, helpful and parts arrived in 2 days. The link above " History of Universal Motor Company 4 " will tell you what engine number your Kabota engine is, which makes the search much easier. I still would recommend Tractor Smart ( I am not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer ) as they are willing to discuss whats going on and what you need rather then take your order.

elarmie 06-01-2010 10:08 PM

I too have a Universal M18 and want to replace the injectors. Could you supply me with the exact Kubota part numbers. When I called Tractor Smart they told me the had two different injectors for the z600. 7000-65209 and 7000-65208. The guy I talked to told me the only difference was one injector had a nut on top. Is it possible you one of each?
I have also be told by a mechanic the you need to really have the serial number of the engine block to be sure which model it is. I have looked everywhere and can seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Flfishindude 06-13-2010 02:58 PM

different numbers

I do not have the numbers that were on the injectors but remember that they were different numbers. The nut on the top is so that you can adjust the inlet and outlet from the injector pump. The installation was easy and straight forward and our engine ran better immediately. Be careful with the fuel lines so you dont scratch the ends or they will leak. I would recommend for the few dollars they are, replace them also so you get a good seal. If you do replace the fuel lines, pump them full of fuel before attaching to the injectors.