Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009
repair it all

rustyballast is on a distinguished road
O'Day 30 Swing Keel Rigging

New to sailing I decided to start with a small boat. I have figured out the sailing part although finer points I am still learning. The boat has a swing keel and to raise / lower there is a line that runs across the cabin back to the cockpit. Raising the keel requires considerable effort, there are no blocks, winches, etc... just a rope and a cleat. Is this normal? I suspect that there should be a couple blocks or some arrangement so as to not risk breaking your back to pull up the keel.

The other possibility is that there is something binding inside the keel.

When the boat was hauled out and surveyed the keel looked fine.

The family really enjoys the boat and she is beautiful.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Rusty welcome to the "net"! I've a O30 but deep keel not CB. I beleive the swing K is "neutral balance" rudy at D&R marine dot com should know the answer.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2009
repair it all

Thank-you Denise,

I will call D&R tomorrow. If it is true that it is neutral then there is an issue with the rope and cable assembly. Someone mentioned that perhaps the wrong knot was tied last and it is too fat, thus it binds.

This would make sense as when I untie the line from the cleat, some time later I will hear a clunk as, I assume the swing keel falls down.
Old 11-23-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
or critters and barnacles?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2009
Oday 30 & Ranger 23

RecoveringRacer is on a distinguished road
Oday 30 swing keel

I have the centerboard version of the Oday 30, too. It is not weighted, but it is not neutral buoyancy, either, and can use a little help in terms of mechanical advantage to lift it. When I bought the boat several years ago, it had a 2:1 tackle on the cabin top to give additional purchase, and wasn't too hard to raise, but sometime later, since I was adding self-tailing cabin top winches for spinnaker halyards anyway, I ran the tail through a clutch and then to the starboard cabin top winch. Now raising the board is really easy. Here's a picture of the centerboard:

On the same subject, be careful about using a Nicopress fitting on the bottom of the centerboard pendant. After having to replace it every 6-8 months, I suddenly realized it was acting as sacrificial anode, and being eaten away just like a zinc. Next time I replace it, I'm going to try a stainless fork.
Old 07-18-2013

jim4sailing is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: O'Day 30 Swing Keel Rigging

Hello! This is my first post on sailnet so here I go? I have a 1980 Oday 30 win a CB. It too has the line over the cabin and a Kleet to tie off. It isn't very difficult to retract because as you have read it is a neutral balance. Maybe barnacles are the problem. The guy who dives on all the sailboats by me I. The Long Island Sound says that the barnacles can build up and almost make it impossible to retract. He said he manufactured a long angled rod to get up I side the keel and clear the unit. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2013
1934 Chickering

Re: O'Day 30 Swing Keel Rigging

Hi Jim! Welcome to sailnet! you may want to check dates on some discussions before you answer. This one is 4 years old

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-02-2013
repair it all

Re: O'Day 30 Swing Keel Rigging

I added a block and rigged so as to have a 2:1 advantage and it works fine now. Had boat hauled and bottom cleaned last year and there was no sign of obstruction.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.