Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009

Flfishindude is on a distinguished road
Oday 31 question

Happy Thanksgiving all!! Now that the inside of the boat is done, I have started working on the outside. I found an access hole under the cushion in the back under where you would sit while driving the boat. I am thinking it is probably an emergency rudder control but not sure. Can someone give me some info. Also any thoughts on cleaning up the stainless and gel coat would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2009

inthesprings is on a distinguished road
You are correct sir. That is the cover for the emergency tiller. Hopefully the emergency tiller is in the boat somewhere? Its an aluminum affair with a notch cut in the bottom. If you like, I could dig mine up and send you a picture? Not too sure about the stainless or gel coat, but I have used a 3m marine fiberglass cleaner and wax, which works great, but thats for lightly oxidized surfaces. If its very oxidized, I imagine you would use a straight rubbing compound followed by wax. An electric buffer would probably be preferrable unless your looking for a good workout. Have had one season on our 86 Oday 31 and we love her so far.
Old 12-13-2009

Flfishindude is on a distinguished road
Inthesprings, thanks for the info. I have not found anything that looks like it is an emergency tiller. I am going to the boat today and will check around, but don't think there is one. I would appreciate a picture as maybe I don't know what Im looking for.
Old 12-14-2009

sailingcal21 is on a distinguished road
On my O'Day 34 it's a 2 1/2 to 3 " aluminum tube about 4 feet long with bend in the last foot. It doesn't look much like a tiller until its installed.
1981 O'Day 34
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Old 12-30-2009

So I finally got around to getting a pic of the emergency tiller. You can view it here.....Shawn Barron's Photos - emergency tiller | Facebook

Its 2" diameter Al tubing with a notch cut in the bottom.

Sorry it took me so long.

-Shawn
Old 12-30-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
If any of you every had to use it you would know how hard it is to steer the boat with it! Don't leave port without it! Me thinks a handle fitting to the inside of it would make it easier to use. Also it's designed to point about 20 degrees to starboard when it's on the rudder post. (so you and it don't hit the wheel I guess
Mine was stored on a clip in the head port side locker.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2009

Yeah, not much leverage going on there. I truly hope I never have to use it. Mine was living below the storage cuddy, port side of the v berth, next to the holding tank, lovingly covered in bubble wrap.
Old 01-08-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
did yall know only one bolt through the hub of the steering quadrant keeps the whole rudder in the boat?
Never ever leave home without that em tiller. We used it when the cables came off because the pedestal bolts broke off.. I was able to use it.. sluggish but doable in about 15knt wind and 2ft waves..Yes I was worn out when we got into the mooring field.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2010

sailingcal21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
did yall know only one bolt through the hub of the steering quadrant keeps the whole rudder in the boat?
Good to point out. That single bolt is a significant part of the system, however there are also four bolts that clamp the quadrant to the rudder stock. Both the bolt and clamp would have to fail to actually lose the rudder.

Definitely something to put an eye on annually while back there inspecting and greasing the steering components.

Here's a link so some images that I've uploaded: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/odayow...tart=1&dir=asc

Scott
1981 O'Day 34
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Old 01-09-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Scott.. these look familar?

I need to insulate and deck plate up top. that should stop the condesation into the tube, I think I'll get some kind of plug for the tube also. I'm convinced most of the water in the rudder is from that.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-09-2010 at 11:57 AM.