Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
Ok, added pics, some were too bright because it was super sunny and I wasn't smart enough to mess with the camera.

This is what a $200 sailboat looks like:
Flickr: PPPPPP42's Photostream

Could someone tell me what bits aren't original? The thing across the stern and some of the deck fittings seem a little odd.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
The thing is a called a traveler, and it's raised to clear the tiller handle.. looks like a pretty decent improvement over end boom sheeting. The cam cleats on the cabin roof indicate it was set up for single handing to some degree. Interior is a mess but that can be fixed pretty cheaply and nicely. Should be a nice little boat for very little money! good luck!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
SCORE!!! Going to have yourself a decent little boat there for precious little cash. I'd say find a half sheet of plywood and cut your own drop boards for now, or even better if you can find some smoked plexi. Fix the structural, and stick that baby in the water. Cosmetics can wait for fall.

Congratulations. Enjoy your new toy.
Old 06-22-2011

I think when I have the money I'll just pull the whole boat down the the local sail boat dealer (full service place, not just a yuppie new boat dealer) and have him point out the parts that are missing and how they attach, everything that goes to the boom seems to be wherever the sails ran off to. I have a feeling they were all sold when the boat was originally abandoned, probably due to the keel damage and extensive deck leaks which is costly on labor (more than the value of the boat) if you can't do it yourself, but less than a few hundred for me.

It'll be a few months before I can afford sails anyways probably. And then I'm not sure if I should go with a correct one (original?) for my boat and year from that D&R Marine or go aftermarket sail maker. I've some reports of people getting too big a sail for a 22 from the sail places resulting in saggy boom issues or something. I'll hafta find that post again. The one from D&R seems to be the original configuration, but maybe id want an aftermarket one for features like reefing points which I don't think the original had because it has a roller reefing boom which I've heard is a bit fiddly compared to the modern ones, not to mention interfering with whatever you call the extra optional thing that holds it down in the middle (boom vang, boom preventer? something like that). Also I see that D&R sells a 135% genoa for this instead of a regular Jib, if i could only afford one head sail which should it be? If I can find used ones ill take what I can get, id prefer to just buy someones old 22 set to use.

My order of operations is:
1. Get new hatch boards so water gets in a little less, then fix crack in keel correctly.
2. Make sure the deck fittings and mast are still solid enough to use.
3. Buy sails
4. Buy hardware to make sails work with the somewhat custom hardware I seem to have.
5. sail for the rest of the season (hopefully)

Up here sailing season and working on boat season are the same season unfortunately.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 06-22-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Used sails are out there by the millions. my fav place is Bacon Sails.com in Annapolis md. If you go to sites like Harken and other types of sailboat hardware you can learn about the various things that needed to rig a boat.
Also Rigging Small Sailboats - Chapter 2 Will give you a good handle on what does what and what it's called. Where are you located? I'm sure some one on this forum could connect with you.
Good luck.

Lots of O22s on Youtube!
YouTube - ‪Sailing an O'Day 22 on the Hudson‬‏

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

Here's another..
[YouTube - ‪My Oday 22‬‏

This one is tour of the interior... you can see how yours can/could be someday.
YouTube - ‪oday 22 interior before‬‏

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I support this thread! Way to go!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-23-2011
s/v Impetuous

SailingChuppy is on a distinguished road
Great find! Is this your first boat?
Old 06-23-2011

Added more pics, have several inside and outside pics of the keel damage. Its all in the same chamber of the keel which seems to be divided up. I'm not sure if the lead is in the bottom below that water or in front of the bulkhead you can see in the keel. There was already a 2 or 3 inch hole in the floor towards the rear right where you step down, I simply plopped a 5 or 6 inch hole saw on it and made it a really big hole. That bashed in jagged looking hole in the panel below the white floor (kinda a drainage channel) was already there too. The bottom of the keel still has about an inch of rotten leaves and muck in it, I need to finishing cleaning that out but since it slowly refills with water when it rains I wasn't too concerned about pumping it out again just yet.
No clue what they tried to fill it with yet but its some expanding goop I think that hardened like plastic. I smell total half assery, I'll see when I get it ground down, or maybe ground clear through would be better.

No clue what the 2 odd bits of hardware I took a pic of are from, if anyone knows tell me so I don't pitch them.

Also i'm missing 1 curtain rod and 2 of the little screw on round bits that attach to the bases to hold it on. I wouldn't mind finding replacements that match.

Got a shot of the electrical panel, there's actually a light overhead that I think is fluorescent (or just really long) but i'm not sure.

Also took a pic of the mast step for the hell of it, my mast isnt gold like the boom so I would guess its been replaced though it looks rather like the ones I see in pics for these, this mast step seems a little primitive and unsafe compared to the later ones I've seen. If someone fell hard enough into the base it looks like it would shoot out aft. YAY 1972

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 06-23-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

so, ARE you reading all the help that's been given?

my current "project"!