Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
This picture is helpful and shows a bit of just what is right and wrong: mast step | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The mast step has a cut out channel in it for what I will call 'Frankenstein bolts' that stick out and fit into the channel. You only need to tension your shrouds and stays to pin your mast down.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2011

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
Haven't had time to view all the links yet but otherwise I read everything.
EDIT: I should mention my concern about the foot of the mast coming out was because unlike most I have seen these slots are flat instead of downward curved so the downward force has to generate enough friction on those 2 pins sticking out either side to prevent the whole mast popping out towards the rear. All the new ones I've seen are downward sloped or L shaped to prevent this.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 06-23-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
I tell you, I really wish I could find an Oday 22 like that which someone is selling for parts so I can get a rudder back on my boat. I guess I will have to just buy a new rudder at this point, seems kind of pricey after just paying so much for motor servicing a couple months ago. Going on a month since I even SEEN my boat now. If I could find someone in the N.O. area who could make a nice rudder at a reasonable price, I would jump on it in a sec.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 06-30-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
SG40 you don't have to have an OEM rudder.. Most rudders from boats about the same size would work. Many times they show up on Ebay for example.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2011

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
SUDDENLY, a wild plan B appears!
or
How my plan had an uncontrolled jibe.

The whole upper hull on my $200 boat is basically crap, and there is water getting into the forward part of the keel too I found, not just the rear where it cracked. Plus serious (though not illegal) complications came up that would have made this boat nearly impossibly to title now.

Luckily the situation has been remedied, I simply lifted up the mast and installed a new boat:
22' O'Day 22 Sailboat and Trailer T158454 | eBay
Whats the chances of me buying a boat with nothing but good standing rigging, rudder and mast, and then finding an identical boat a few hours away in great shape needing a rudder, standing rigging and a mast.

Apparently this boat had its mast and its rudder both made into a 2 piece version and was dumped on a local charity. I feel I could have gotten it for less if I let them re-list it, but I wanted it, I didn't want any competition, and with the parts combined that means I'll be sailing the end of next week for $1150 plus the fuel expended getting both boats.
When I sell off which ever trailer I like the least and take the 600 lbs of lead in the keel of this boat to a scrap place, that will likely go way down.

The old boat is getting chopped up, its positively trashed after deeper inspection on both upper hull, interior and lower hull. I'll be keeping every last fitting on it, and eventually transferring some of the fancy stuff like that rear mounted traveler to the new boat.

This one has a forward hatch too, which I think is critical with the lack of opening windows. O and sails, nice to have a sailboat that comes with sails

So I now own 1976 22 class number 2167.

If anyone needs a trailer set up for a 22, as soon as this boat is made no more, one will be available, dunno what else will be for sale.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 07-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-04-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
I would say you did get lucky to find two boats that you can combine to get one good one. Too bad the new one you bought had a broken rudder, if it was good I would have definitely made you an offer on one. Also If you lived around here, I may have bought the trailer The interior looks like its in pretty good shape on the second one you bought. You are going to be happy when you get it all up and sailing. Just to give you some ideas or whatever else, you can check out this video I took yesterday of mine here... YouTube - ‪Touring SV Tropic Spirit‬‏ I went to do some cleaning and rearranging things. I think she is a pretty girl now and when I put in the tropical vinyl wallpaper on the galley walls next week, its going to look really nice! You see I am into that classy stained wood yacht look which is why when I replace my hatch covers in a couple weeks, I am going to make it out of wood instead of smoked plexi glass. It takes more maintenance but with a little effort I think it just looks so much classier.

After I get my new rudder, I am going to be getting really fancy within the next few months, kind of like how custom auto fans get into fixing up their cars. Thats how I am getting with my sailboat which is turning quickly into a mini yacht and a new hobby. I will be putting in a small LCD TV, some LED rope lights in the cabin interior, a couple flags on the shrouds, a small fridge and other things such as tech gadgets. When this is all done, I am posting another video and I hope when people watch it and board her they will get that 'wow' factor.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."