Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Just bought ODay 28, a couple of questions

Hi all

I bought a 1981 Oday 28 over the winter and took her out for the first time yesterday. A couple of things came up that I wonder if anyone has experience with.

1. The Jib cars for the Jib sheets seem strangely placed. They are very long, with the car rail running from near the back all the way to the front of the cockpit.

The lifelines seem all in the way of where the sheet wants to go. Whether you have the sheet over the top, in between - as you tack, beat and run, the sheets are always pressing against a lifeline or stanchion.

2. The boat has wheel pedestal steering. You can't get to the main sheet with out stepping round the pedestal. I assume there is no way around this? You need to 2 man it or lock the wheel for a moment to adjust trim?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Just bought ODay 28, a couple of questions

congrats!

1. The Jib cars for the Jib sheets seem strangely placed. They are very long, with the car rail running from near the back all the way to the front of the cockpit.

They are long so you can use more then a few sizes of head sails. from a jib to 200% genoa even. plus you can slide them forward or aft to improve the shape of the headsails.

The lifelines seem all in the way of where the sheet wants to go. Whether you have the sheet over the top, in between - as you tack, beat and run, the sheets are always pressing against a lifeline or stanchion.

Yes, the sheets will lay across the lifeline if your not close hauled, you can drop the top lifeline or run the sheets outside the lifeline but then it's a hassel bringing em back. I guess you could set up a barber haul but that's more lines then I'd care to have lying about. Yankee cut headsails are kinder to the lifelines

2. The boat has wheel pedestal steering. You can't get to the main sheet with out stepping round the pedestal. I assume there is no way around this? You need to 2 man it or lock the wheel for a moment to adjust trim?

they work for the traveler lines too!

I use yacht braid for the sheets and just toss it around and use a cam cleat to set the genoa, then if the wind is up I have to lean foward on the seat and use the winch. It's a poor location but you will eventually get used it

Hope this helps!

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2012

Thanks for the line organization tips. I will look into those.

Latest blog post:
Old 06-08-2012

ODay e-pod is on a distinguished road

Enjoy your new O28!
Old 06-08-2012

skisilver is on a distinguished road

Also have an O28. The jib sheets/lifeline will really not be an issue. I's assuming that your traveller is located on top of the cabin, which makes it very difficult to single hand. You will get very good at running around the wheel-pedestal to trim and tack, and running back. You may want to think about wearing football pads as thighs will get bruised... but lots of fun!!
Old 06-09-2012

sailingcal21 is on a distinguished road

If you're single-handing an autopilot is a worthy investment. Helps to keep the boat in the wind whilst raising/lowering the main as well.
1981 O'Day 34
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Old 06-09-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing the Oday didn't think about winch location when they installed wheel steering on the boats.. the winches are perfectly located if the boat had a tiller.

my current "project"!
Old 06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODay e-pod View Post
Enjoy your new O28!
Thanks!

Latest blog post:
Old 06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisilver View Post
Also have an O28. The jib sheets/lifeline will really not be an issue. I's assuming that your traveller is located on top of the cabin, which makes it very difficult to single hand. You will get very good at running around the wheel-pedestal to trim and tack, and running back. You may want to think about wearing football pads as thighs will get bruised... but lots of fun!!
My traveler is just infront of the companionway
deniseO30 and Midnightflyer like this.

Latest blog post:
Old 06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingcal21 View Post
If you're single-handing an autopilot is a worthy investment. Helps to keep the boat in the wind whilst raising/lowering the main as well.
I was quite happy to find that the wheel has a sturdy lock than I can flip on while I run round adjusting sheets!

Latest blog post: