SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

1977 O'Day 32 aft keel stub repair advice

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to sailnet, my name is Rudy. I'm seeking some advise on repairing the aft portion of my keel stub on my boat. I purchased this boat as a someday project, its in pretty bad shape but I don't want to work on deck and the inside if the hull is not in good shape. I hope someone has experienced a similar hull failure to mine and could advise on what would be the best repair strategy to realize the repair. I have a few books of Don Casey, I'm planning on cutting around the damaged area and glassing it with epoxy resin, but the location is kind of intimidating. Please see pics of outside and inside of fracture, any suggestions?

BTW I'm a industrial engine and generator technician if my skills could be of any use to anyone, just drop me a line explaining any diesel or generator issues and I may be able to advise on troubleshooting and repair.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Looks like the encapsulated Keel like my boat has. Was that stringer under the shaft coupling cut for that engine? I don't think you will find any kind of bolts holding the lead (if it's lead) to the stringers. You may want to call Rudy same name as yours :) at D & R marine D & R Marine He knows the boats from the factory days.
I've a feeling the keel has been hit from the stern & starboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.