Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Orphan Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010

Bejasus is on a distinguished road
yes that was us. Unfortunately the wife had a nasty leg break stepping off a friends boat 3 weeks before departure and we had to cancel. Since then, UKPLC has done it's best to turn the UK into a 3rd world economy and prices have spiralled in Spain and Greece is looking dodgy with new taxes etc, so we have decided to stay in the US, save some capital and continue to improve the boat, whilst cruising in the Bahamas etc.
The boat is not down there now, we are visiting the Bahamas next week to stay with friends who are cruising down there on their boats at the moment.
If you want to swap pics or anything, you can contact us at Bejasus@hotmail.co.uk
I understand about not wanting to divulge stuff on the web, and that is fine. I had heard about deals but had not been offered any at the time, it might have made the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2010

Bejasus is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

looking at the list of Hardins currently being offered on Yachtworld, the thing that strikes me, is that not one of them has the '4 Stateroom' layout, which was almost certainly the reason that we purchased ours. I did not like the open layout of the others, or the fact that they almost all had a head sticking up in the middle of the vee berth.
Old 06-25-2010

Mardagan is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple great videos of the Hardin 44':

YouTube - 44 ft. Hardin Sailboat - Interior Walk Around Video - Portland Yachts

and

YouTube - 44 ft. Hardin - Cruising Video - Center Cockpit Sailing Yacht - Portland Yachts

enjoy!

Jeremy
Old 11-13-2010

Mardagan is on a distinguished road
I love the captains stateroom, cant get enough of those port holes in the aft of the boat. Gives it that old school pirate feel.
Old 11-13-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhlnd View Post
OK, before I get beat up, I know Hardin's aren't sexy, they aren't fast, they can't manuever in close quarters, and there was only about 160 44 &45's made, but Hardin built a lot of plans out of Taiwan, including sea wolf, Vagabonds, and I think some of the Taiwan Petersons etc; the 44, 45, and anything else that he could contract to build, there's probably 1000's of Hardin built boats out there. So my question to why isn't there something under BUILDER'S ROW for all us guys that own Hardin built boats where we can share info and what little documentation what little we have on the history and experiences on this boat?

Anyone can go to a commercial builder's site for any of the clorex bottle boats, but how about us guys that have some craftsmanship and tradition built into the boats? Nothing -Nada - zip - zilch.

So....HUH? are we owners being slighted by fast, sexy and plastic? From the commercial point of view, we're old, and we spend a hella ofa lot of money on our boats to keep up the electronics, sails, rigging, lot's of varnish, and all kinds of other stuff.

So the question is, why is this venerable old boat being slighted on the largest sail boat info network in the world?

feeling slighted on the Pacific coast.
sorry to get into this late-- but your original post gives me a loud buzzer noise in my ears. hardin , ct, formosa, force- hudson--all these clipper ships are THE ultimate in current day sexiness in sailing. is awesome the way they look charging thru the seas. they are not racers by any sense of the word-- but they are most exceptionally comfortable cruisers, and as the design is Garden, able to be repaired in some kind of fashion. the more i see his design up close and personal, the more i appreciate my ability to gain access to everything i need to repair.
i think the modern euro lines sailboats have developed are not sexy nor cool nor pretty, sorry, guys--i AM an old timer. i LOVE these clippers-- they ARE awesome killer sexy.
if you do not agree---take a female of your choice, meal of your choice, maybe some wine, light some lovely warm looking oil lamps and see how sexy these boats realllly are.

and WE have the LEAKY TEAKY YACHT CLUB, a group on yahoo and a facebook chat group.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-21-2011
hardin sailer

capnorv is on a distinguished road
We purchased hull#99 in September, it wasn't launched until '87. No forward head, ever. Two cabin, wraparound salon, aluminum masts, perkins, Still fine tuning, don't think she's sailed much. Just got a dodger/enclosure this month, I installed heat this week. My one concern is the large windows. Has anyone covered them for offshore work, and how/with what material? We have canvas/vinyl covers to reduce sweat, but I'm thinking they would be vulnerable in the right sea conditions. thanks
Old 04-11-2011
hardin sailer

capnorv is on a distinguished road
Concerning window covers, bumped into a guy in Gig Harbor had lots of keel time.He told me yes, cover all the salon windows, they'll be hit. He suggested sealed 3/4" plywood through bolted into cabin sides, though they had the factory fiberglass covers on theirs.
Old 04-14-2011

deecochran is on a distinguished road
Hardin windows

I own Hull #91 "Linda Lee" and am in the process of fitting out for hanging a left out of LA Harbor. I am looking at a tinted 3/8" Lexan Polycarbonate material to install iover the glass windows. I would love to see how the original storm shutters were constructed. If anyone has photos or info I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dee
Old 05-21-2011

hardin45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
We purchased hull#99 in September, it wasn't launched until '87. No forward head, ever. Two cabin, wraparound salon, aluminum masts, perkins, Still fine tuning, don't think she's sailed much. Just got a dodger/enclosure this month, I installed heat this week. My one concern is the large windows. Has anyone covered them for offshore work, and how/with what material? We have canvas/vinyl covers to reduce sweat, but I'm thinking they would be vulnerable in the right sea conditions. thanks
I just bought hull #93 and am located in
antecortes. I also have conserns about the large windows. Did you get any good feedback on that yet? Where are you located exactally?

Rick
Old 05-21-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
the large windows in these boats seem not to be an issue in seas as they are made for seas -- i havent had a sea break on these windows--i have 41 formosa with same kind windows -- yours are probably tempered glass--mine are plexiglass.
if you are concerned with the integrity of the windows during a passage, make a cover for them--either of wood or of plexiglass or acrylic to keep the integrity of the glass in the event of a hit by a very strong sea-----i had pacific seas breaking on my deck this trip i made to mazatlan from SD-- DIDNT BOTHER ANY OF THE WINDOWS. to get to windows, seas must be rather huge... ye wont be sailing in htose.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.