How about a Hardin 45 Thread - Page 6 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 72 Old 04-21-2014

Re: How about a Hardin 45 Thread

Haven't visited the site in a while, but we have had a few upgrades done to the boat and some still ongoing.

1. Had most of the aft. end raining replace with welded stainless rather than the lightweight riveted that was there.
2. Replaced the teak trim around the cockpit.
3. Replaced all the glass around the saloon with 3/8in hurricane glass with a 3m tint(really nice). Confident enough in the product to remove the plexiglass screens that were fitted. Fantastic difference.
4. Reworked the forward heads with new trim and worktops and paint and a new sink.
5. New Douglas Fir bowsprit made Grade A straight grained fir. 5 strips laminated, then epoxied and painted with Awlgrip.
6. New teak base made for the anchor winch. Winch totally stripped and rebuilt prior to refitting.
7. New pulpit platform made and epoxied. Looks lovely. Clear coat finish.
8. New scupper drains cut and glassed into the hull below the toe rail on the aft section where previously there was a small drain hole on either side. Now even the dew runs off.
9. Aft head currently being converted into a shower room, Rainfall shower new worktops and sink.
10. New 3 mile LED nav lighting fitted. (Not srtrictly correct since should be 2 miles, but what the heck)

Work still to be carried out. Retrim the aft cabin ceiling surround with something new incorporating LED lighting.

Complete rewire both 12v and 110.

Possibly some replumbing.

Rework the aft stbd side cabin with washer/spin dryer, tool cabinet.

Lifting and rebedding all the stantions with new backing plates.

Refinish the decks with KiwiGrip.

Then look at converting to roller furling and some electric winches.

What can I say.....it's a boat.

George

Last edited by Bejasus; 04-21-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 72 Old 07-10-2014
S/V Maracucha

Send a message via Skype™ to Graywolf77

This thread has been around a few years now, like the Hardin boats. Maracucha is now as good looking a boat as any in the water. A few minor details to take care of and out she goes.

I will trade speed and sleek lines for comfort and stability anytime. I love the curves on these boats. The Hardin and Formosa boats are great. They take some TLC.
post #53 of 72 Old 07-13-2015

Re: hardin ketch owners

Hi dandebbiehenry,
I live in Hawaii but keep my Hardin in antecortes on the hard and then cruise the area during the summer. Drop me a line.
Rick
post #54 of 72 Old 08-26-2015

My partner and I are interested in purchasing a Hardin 45 in the future. (We currently live on a Nonsuch 36.) As of right now, this is all based on information we've read. Is there anyone on this thread who has a Hardin 45 in the Destin Fl area who would be willing to show their boat off to a couple of hopefuls? Thanks!
post #55 of 72 Old 09-04-2015

I own a Hardin 45, hull #30, formerly named Gypsy (a guy named Kevin Woodall I believe from Long Beach sailed around the world in her). She sat in the Caribbean for a number of years then in Georgia for another 8 years so had a ridiculous amount of work in deferred maintenance to be done. I really questioned if it was a good idea to continue the project, but as I knock projects out (paint, teak, rigging, engine) I am more and more impressed with the build of these boats. They're unbelievably well built, making refurbishing everything really easy. All the stainless has been completely workable, and all the teak that just looked awful has come right back and looks beautiful now. The factory Perkins 4.236 engine is super easy to get rebuilt because they're industrial engines and there's about a million of them, perkins rebuilds them at the factory for $6K. Even the teak decks have been restorable and look like new now with no rot underneath to be found. The decks were a LOT of work to re-fasten, caulk, and sand, but they look beautiful now and I'm so glad I didn't glass the deck like so many advised me to do. The only completely un-serviceable things were my original spruce masts that were pretty rotten, but I'm replacing them with good used aluminum which is turning out to be pretty affordable. And of course all the paint...roll and tip interlux costing about $3K as opposed to the $15K awl grip job my boatyard quoted me. Oh, and the original port lights all need replacing as they're plastic and crumble, swapping for stainless.

I adore my boat. There hasn't been a second of regret, nor a moment where I've thought to myself, "wow, that's stupid, why did they build it THAT way" about any of the systems. I'm an IT systems architect and pretty particular. I drive an old BMW because it makes sense and is highly reliable and serviceable. And I'm the proud owner of a Hardin 45 about which I feel the same as my car. As a live-aboard, I prefer her to any apartment anywhere.

For how few of these there are, I'm surprised to see so many in the Pacific Northwest. I'm in Port Townsend where there is at least one other.
post #56 of 72 Old 09-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenandLyra36 View Post
My partner and I are interested in purchasing a Hardin 45 in the future. (We currently live on a Nonsuch 36.) As of right now, this is all based on information we've read. Is there anyone on this thread who has a Hardin 45 in the Destin Fl area who would be willing to show their boat off to a couple of hopefuls? Thanks!
I own a 1980 Hardin 45, 3 cabin model, Bodrum, sitting on the hard in Marathon Florida for a while. I've been making some changes and doing maintenance-(new prop shaft, and cutlass bearing-galvanic corrosion issue, re-working bonding copper, swapping a non-used depth sounder thru-hull for a water supply to the 2 new marine air conditioners and water-maker.) As well, its barrier coat and bottom paint time. I too would like to talk to someone that has pulled and replaced the front glass windows. The glass is fine but the sealants are gone and leaking is causing damage to the interior woodwork.
Bodrum is aux-powered with a 90 hp caterpillar diesel. I am interested in a good small diesel gen-set, that can power one A/C and am looking for the right place to mount it. Southern climates just have to have some cooling in the boat.
Bodrum had her teak removed before I bought her in 2009. I am looking for a method to reinstall at least some teak along the sides of the cabin to fill the vertical gap that was created between the deck and the scuppers. The scupper areas never correctly drain.
The boat was a Philadelphia boat, then taken to Salem, Massachusetts where I bought her and took her south. Great Espar diesel heater system though! I'm also looking for a source of matching original hardware for the boat. I have a couple of broken cabinet hinges, olive knuckle style, that I'd like to replace.
If the Destin Florida folks want to see her, please text 3053934745. Its a nice trip to the Keys from there, but we could work it out. Mark
post #57 of 72 Old 09-09-2015

Has anyone figured out a good thruster system for a Hardin 45?
post #58 of 72 Old 09-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejasus View Post
Haven't visited the site in a while, but we have had a few upgrades done to the boat and some still ongoing.

1. Had most of the aft. end raining replace with welded stainless rather than the lightweight riveted that was there.
2. Replaced the teak trim around the cockpit.
3. Replaced all the glass around the saloon with 3/8in hurricane glass with a 3m tint(really nice). Confident enough in the product to remove the plexiglass screens that were fitted. Fantastic difference.
4. Reworked the forward heads with new trim and worktops and paint and a new sink.
5. New Douglas Fir bowsprit made Grade A straight grained fir. 5 strips laminated, then epoxied and painted with Awlgrip.
6. New teak base made for the anchor winch. Winch totally stripped and rebuilt prior to refitting.
7. New pulpit platform made and epoxied. Looks lovely. Clear coat finish.
8. New scupper drains cut and glassed into the hull below the toe rail on the aft section where previously there was a small drain hole on either side. Now even the dew runs off.
9. Aft head currently being converted into a shower room, Rainfall shower new worktops and sink.
10. New 3 mile LED nav lighting fitted. (Not srtrictly correct since should be 2 miles, but what the heck)

Work still to be carried out. Retrim the aft cabin ceiling surround with something new incorporating LED lighting.

Complete rewire both 12v and 110.

Possibly some replumbing.

Rework the aft stbd side cabin with washer/spin dryer, tool cabinet.

Lifting and rebedding all the stantions with new backing plates.

Refinish the decks with KiwiGrip.

Then look at converting to roller furling and some electric winches.

What can I say.....it's a boat.

George
I had a suggestion on the chain plates for the Hardin 45. It was recommended that I remove the interior mounting of the plates through the fiberglass of the toe rail, and fabricate plates with standoffs that go outside the hull. This would eliminate the chainplate cover issues and interior bolt rusting. Has anyone done that?
post #59 of 72 Old 09-11-2015
hardin sailer

Not so quick, hull 99 is in Port Madison, Bainbridge Island, next to Port Madison Yacht Club. If in the area, we live across street from boat in little blue house.
post #60 of 72 Old 09-13-2015

has anyone located any of the original fabrication drawings or design of the Hardins

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.