SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How about a Hardin 45 Thread

66K views 93 replies 43 participants last post by  onnokok65 
#1 ·
OK, before I get beat up, I know Hardin's aren't sexy, they aren't fast, they can't manuever in close quarters, and there was only about 160 44 &45's made, but Hardin built a lot of plans out of Taiwan, including sea wolf, Vagabonds, and I think some of the Taiwan Petersons etc; the 44, 45, and anything else that he could contract to build, there's probably 1000's of Hardin built boats out there. So my question to why isn't there something under BUILDER'S ROW for all us guys that own Hardin built boats where we can share info and what little documentation what little we have on the history and experiences on this boat?

Anyone can go to a commercial builder's site for any of the clorex bottle boats, but how about us guys that have some craftsmanship and tradition built into the boats? Nothing -Nada - zip - zilch.

So....HUH? are we owners being slighted by fast, sexy and plastic? From the commercial point of view, we're old, and we spend a hella ofa lot of money on our boats to keep up the electronics, sails, rigging, lot's of varnish, and all kinds of other stuff.

So the question is, why is this venerable old boat being slighted on the largest sail boat info network in the world?

feeling slighted on the Pacific coast.

See less See more
#83 · (Edited)
We are extremely Excited to be a part of the Hardin family… we being my wife, 4 1/2-year-old daughter and myself.

We will be having a survey done on a 1979 Hardin 45 in a couple weeks. Assuming all goes well and we follow through with purchase, we will be moving aboard shortly there after and giving the live aboard life a try for a couple years.

I do not know the hull number but I do know that at one time the boat was named Celebration and for sale in Deltaville Virginia. Now named Yolo by seller, the boat was in Indiantown not too long ago and currently is in Stuart hanging out until we hopefully become the new owners. I do not believe we will change the name once she becomes ours.

Would love to have the chance to correspond with anyone else that has or had a Hardin sailboat.

#84 ·
I have just joined this group, because I just discovered it. I am a current owner of a Hardin 45 hull number 95, and my wife and I have been living aboard for over 27 years.

A great number of the questions I have seen on this thread, I have repaired, fixed or replaced. If any one is interested, I have a web page that is a bit out of date, but many projects are covered there, but not allowed to post it. You should be able to use a good search engine, and search for Hardin yacht DREAMAWAY and come up with it.

I will be happy to answer any questions that other Hardin owners might have. BTW, I still have the original Ford (Ebro) 4D220 Dagenham engine.

Regards,
Jim

#87 ·
Threads like this which focus on one particular boat, of which there weren’t a lot in production may be the reason why. I’d look for an owners group like many other manufacturers have.

#89 ·
I don’t have a Hardin, but a Hardin is a moderately close match to 44’ steel cutter. Similar dimensions, under water profile, and displacement. Similar attributes. Slow sailer but fast for a house.

The few years before covid we spent 3 seasons in Easter Caribbean, when the swells got up many folks were very uncomfortable compared to us, including bigger boats. She does not roll much. Now PITCH? That is a different story. It happens very infrequently, once exactly, but we had opposing swell and current on an anchorage. I ended up putting a weighted drag device over the stern to quite but not stop the motion.

We are now in the Chesapeake, working on our land house (rental) while waiting for the end of hurricane season and normalcy to return to the Eastern Caribbean.

While here we had some hull work done and completely refitted both heads installing a Purasan and also replaced all the portlights. Along with many smaller projects.

In my experience these heavy displacement boats have significant charm as long term long aboard homes. I get why they are not ideal for most sailors who have a different use case. But for us she is near ideal.

#90 · (Edited)
Does anyone have some information about sailing performance - a Polar Diagram would be even better. However, even some anecdotal "Running in winds of __ we got about _ knots". I'm trying to do a bit of passage planning for a Hardin 44, but can't seem to find any performance numbers. As a result, I'm jsut guessing and planning it at 4 knots.

#94 ·
Does anyone have some information about sailing performance - a Polar Diagram would be even better. However, even some anecdotal "Running in winds of __ we got about _ knots". I'm trying to do a bit of passage planning for a Hardin 44, but can't seem to find any performance numbers. As a result, I'm jsut guessing and planning it at 4 knots.
Hello! This may be too late, but I own a Hardin 45 and have put about 5000nm under the keel over the last two years. If you still have questions, please let me know. Onno

#93 ·
Mostly moisture damage under the deck surface and damage from leaks into the boat. Romantic Looking old design, but imho very few owners have done the vital/required work to reseal the decks over the years. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.