SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fraser Built Sailboats

80K views 145 replies 44 participants last post by  Glory Days 
#1 ·
Any other Fraser 41/42 owners here?

#32 ·
Great shot of Nikko under sail, Ray! Nice to have those, so hard to get them of your own boat.

When's the big push-off?? ;)

#34 ·

One of the original Fraser sailboats. The website says:

"Justa" is one of the first 6 original molds of the Fraser 42 that the DeKleer bros made famous. These first rugged Center cockpit 42's were built in Vancouver for 6 Air Canada pilots (actually first called Vancouver 42's).

#35 ·
So I've had enough folks mention that there ought to be a Fraser website that I registered a Fraser website. It's called fraserboats.com It's not up yet. I got a hold of the owners of "Circa" and when they heard, they called Aire DeKleer up. He's anxious to share and I'm anxious to hear all about his boats. If any other Fraser owners would like to share pictures of their boats, especially while they were building them, I would love to have them. PM me for an email address.

Reactions: Faster
#36 ·
Didn't realize that Arie DeKleer was still alive.. I think his brother passed away some time ago?

Looking forward to seeing that site up, Ray. goodonya.

#37 ·
I think a Fraser boat website is a great idea!

I would hope that someone could access whatever files were available with hull numbers, specs etc, for those of us Fraser boat owners who have been wondering about their boats histories. For instance I have two original plan drawings of center cockpit boats, one labeled Fraser 42 and the other labelled Fraser 41.

Regards,

John Schroeder
SV Hoku Iki, ex cassie

#38 ·
One of our club members owns 'Saw-Lee-Ah', a CC Fraser 42 that is recently back from a multi year Pacific circuit.

#39 ·
I spoke to Aire DeKleer this past weekend. I was jotting notes as fast as I could to reconcile some of the different stories I've heard about how their boats got started. He's offered to meet me at Gibson's Landing when we pass through this summer. I'm hoping to maybe get some pictures of their shop and anything else that might memorialize his boats.

Hyrdflyr, when I first spoke to Aire back in 2006, he told me that he still had files on several of his boats and that if I were to give him the hull number he could pull my file. I don't know if that answer still stands, but he was very helpful. I betcha if you wrote him a letter he'd respond.

BTW, Aire is selling his Fraser 41 "Omega". It comes with a large sail inventory, it's finished off inside professionally and it's rudder has been lengthened to better handle spinakers. This is a Vic-Maui race winner back in 1988.

#40 ·
Thanks Ray,

I have a bill of sale from Arie to Hans and Elfrieda P. for the vessel "Parallee" License No. 13K65300 but have never found a documentation type number anywhere in the boat. Do you know where it might be located?

Since the boat was listed as built in 1975/77 and first sold by Arie in 1981, I think it was Arie's boat during that time.

I would love to write to Mr. DeKleer. If you have it could you PM me his address please?

Regards, John

Refitting the center cockpit Fraser 42 Hoku Iki, in Seward AK

#41 ·
I'll see what I can do. Our HIN (hull identification number) is on the transom, upper starboard side visible from the outside of the boat.

#43 ·
Hi guys. I see that Manu Tara is still for sale and has been since at least Jan 2013. Does anyone know anything about her or how to contact the owners? Also, do you know if the Fraser 41 in Gun Bay is still for sale? I'm looking for a boat to sail around the world, possibly singlehanding, and this one seems an excellent candidate. Thanks!

#44 ·
We were in Garden Bay last month and saw the Fraser at the entrance to Gun Boat Bay, but we didn't go over this year to see if there was still a for sale sign on it. Aire DeKleer's boat, Omega is also for sale with a large sail inventory.

#48 ·
Saw this Fraser 41 leaving Pt. Roberts a couple days ago:

Then this rare Fraser 41 center cockpit. The owner is the second owner. IIRC, he said the it was built in 1972. That's an older boat.

We came across this Fraser 41 at Jones Island a few years ago:

and this one in Bedwell Harbor with the modified windows and the deck lifted a couple inches over standard to give a little more headroom down below:

Reactions: Hang&Rattle
#49 ·
Hi Ray,

Having recently added the Frasier 41 to my potential boat buying list, I've really appreciated going through the information that you've provided in this thread. As it isn't a boat that's easy to get information on I'm wondering if I might ask a few questions?

Is the hull cored or solid? Is the deck cored or solid?
Is the mast keel or deck stepped?
Are the chainplates glassed in or fairly accessible?
I've seen claimed displacements on the 41 ranging from 19000 to 26000. Do the varying interiors account for most of that?
What are the things to look out for when shopping for one (or owning one for that matter)?
What is Aire DeKleer asking for his? Is there a listing with pics available somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

-Odin

#50 ·
Is the hull cored or solid? Is the deck cored or solid?
The hull is solid and they were laid up thick by today's standards. The deck is cored with balsa in some areas, solid in others.

Is the mast keel or deck stepped?
I've been on three Frasers now and they've all be keel stepped masts. That could be an owner preference thing though as most of the boats were owner finished.

Are the chainplates glassed in or fairly accessible?
The ones on Nikko are not and again, this varies from boat to boat. We're planning to go offshore in a year or two. Chainplates and standing rigging are one of the last chores on our list. I'm not looking forward to it.

I've seen claimed displacements on the 41 ranging from 19000 to 26000. Do the varying interiors account for most of that?
I think so, that and the storage capacity for water and fuel. Nikko carries 100 gallons of fuel and 160 gallons of water. That's pretty high capacity for boats of similar size. We've talked to other Fraser owners that didn't have all that fuel and water capacity. The interior of Nikko is way overbuilt. It looks like it was all done in 3/4 plywood all glassed in then they laid another 1/2" teak like wainscoating over that. So that's interior bulkheads and walls that are around 2" thick. Nikko has a displacement listing of around 22,000-23,000 lbs.

What are the things to look out for when shopping for one (or owning one for that matter)?
Fuel tanks and the motor. I don't think I'd buy an old boat without a pretty close inspection of the fuel tanks. I'd want to know the material they were made up, examine their installation and I'd want to get a peak at the inside bottom of the tank just to see what's going on in there. As far as the motor, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, but we have an old Volvo MD17C in our boat that's coming out before we go offshore.

What is Aire DeKleer asking for his? Is there a listing with pics available somewhere?
I don't know. He just mentioned in passing that Omega was for sale with a large sail inventory. Aire was a racer and he raced Omega to Hawaii a couple of times.

This winter when I have free time, I hope to get fraserboats.com up and running to start a place to share information about these boats. They're great boats and each person I run into that knows something about them all say they're bullet proof and a great boat.

Reactions: southbound
#51 ·
Many thanks! Sounds like it doesn't have any special issues. I guess the main thing will be sorting out the owner builder variations. I suppose I'd be concerned about how (in some cases) thousands of pounds of extra weight in the cabin would effect the ballast/displacement ratio (and then tenderness/righting moment etc.). Otherwise, she sounds like a great hull.

#52 ·
One more question: Do you know when DeKleer stoppped building the 41 hull? The broker on the one in Seattle I was thinking about checking out thought that it came out of the factory around '92. I didn't think they were still cranking them out that late.

It turns out that this boat has embedded chainplates---definitely not a fan. (You think replacing chainplates on yours will be daunting?) It also has a deck stepped mast which i find surprising. I get that the boats were owner finished but I would have thought the overall design would demand some standardization. Wouldn't the deck have been factory built for one or the other? And generally if the chainplates are meant to be exposed I would have thought the hull would have come with knees for that (unless the designer specified through bolting to the hull). The one in Seattle appears to have another 3000--4000lbs of lumber inside than even your "overbuilt" example. Not sure what the builder was thinking there. Pretty though.

#53 ·
I don't know when DeKleer quit building boats. The mold went to Spencer Yachts and they were still building them six years ago when I first learned about the boats

When I asked DeKleer about the chainplates (Because I couldn't inspect them on Nikko at the time of purchase) he described them as angle iron held in place against the hull with built up knees with slots cut into them to receive the portion that protruded above the deck but I also talked to a owner who installed the chainplates himself.

I just checked "Anu" out on yachtworld. I'm wondering where all that extra weight comes from as well. Unfortunately for us, we bought Nikko before the housing bubble burst and paid top dollar for here. That was before the windvane, SSB and watermaker. Argh!

Reactions: southbound
#54 · (Edited)
I forgot about Spencer taking over the molds. Have you heard anything about whether or not they laid the hulls up as heavily as DeKleer?

So it sounds like the chainplates were sometimes installed at the factory?
If he truly meant "angle iron", that is seriously scary. I wish I could get this boat out of my head. It sounds like trouble but she's still reeling me in.

#57 ·
Keep in mind that some grades of SS are slightly magnetic...