Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Orphan Brands
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

tinpusher is on a distinguished road
Faster, I think you meant Douglas Cook. The name is stuck in my head because it is the same as my own. Is that a sign as to what boat I am destined to get or what? Sailboatdata.com also lists the first 41 as being built in 1979 with owners on this thread reporting as far back as 1977. Maybe it is David Cook and another saiboatdata.com error.

erps, One of you owners should actually start a forum with real facts, ie hull numbers, year built, previous names, where currently moored, common issues....etc. It would be a great way to share information. La Connor is just down I5 from me and I'd love to see her if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited by tinpusher; 02-16-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpusher View Post
Faster, I think you meant Douglas Cook....
Quite right, my mistake.. interesting coincidence, though, isn't it?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Ray.. do you know the designer of record for the Fraser boats, then? I seem to recall that the first was designed by an airline pilot..

This is the story I heard. An airline pilot designed what he thought would be the perfect sailboat. He built a mold and laid up three boats, one for him and two others for friends. This may have been in the late 60's or early 70's. The DeKleer brothers got the hull mold. Aire and his brother laid up hulls and then sold them to owners to finish them up. Aire and his brother also laid up some Bristol Channel Cutters and some Endurance 35's and three of the Fraser 51's. Aire said the lay up they did on their hulls was robust by today's standards. He was very proud at how strong their boats were. He said that in the big Cabo storm in the early 80's, several boats were washed up on the beach and destroyed. Three boats were salvageable. A steel boat owned by some famous French cruiser, a DeKleer Built Bristol Channel Cutter and a DeKleer built Endurance 35. They pushed the Endurance off the beach with a bulldozer. It was sailed up by the owner and refurbished. The owner of the boat confirmed this account on another sailing website.

Anyway, the way I understand it is that the Frasers the DeKleers were building way back were the Fraser 42's, which was a center cockpit boat. Now along comes a fellow named Roy (can't remember last) He liked the 42 hull. He didn't care for the center cockpit top through. He bought a hull from the DeKleers. He went over to Spencer Yachts and bought an aft cockpit top from them and married up a Spencer top to a DeKleer Hull and made the first aft cockpit Fraser. The DeKleer brothers heard what he was up to and came to take a look at Roy's boat. They liked it. They took some measurements and molded their own aft cockpit top. They reversed the transom on their 42 hull, making their new boat a 41 footer. The Fraser 41 was born.

Roy and his wife went cruising on their first aft cockpit boat named "Full Sail" They got down south and learned that a grand child had been born back home in British Columbia. Mrs. Roy didn't want to miss her grand child growing up, so they quit cruising and sold their boat and went back home. A couple years ago Roy told me that he had heard that Full Sail was still down in Australia or New Zealand.

Now some of the information I got on the airline pilot designer came from a fellow who emailed me and said he was a son to one of the pilots involved in the building of the first three Fraser hulls. He was unaware of Roy and "Full Sail" I don't remember that guy's name now.

Aire DeKleer was still alive a few years ago. He still had files on all his boats and said if I had a hull number, he could pull the file on that particular boat. He was a snowbird when I talked to him last, wintering down south in the states I think, but summering back in British Columbia.

Tin Pusher. You're welcome to come down and take a look at Nikko. You may need to get your post count up to ten on sailnet so you can send and receive private messages. I'll try sending a PM now so you'll have my email address.
jrd22 and Faster like this.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-05-2012

Kiwi Sailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Kiwi Sailor
Re: Fraser Built Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Tinpusher,

I ran into the same problem. Part of the reason is that most of the boats were owner finished, so the quality of the finish really varies from boat to boat. We've bumped into several folks who have already been blue water cruising and they have each praised the Fraser as a solid boat.

Kiwi,
I met the man who built your boat. He rowed over to our boat up in Desolation Sound and told me the story of how "Full Sail" came about and how the DeKleer brothers started building their own version of "Full Sail" which became the Fraser 41.
Hi Ray, Good to hear you met Full Sail's builder. She was sailed over to New Zealand by Peter and Pat Psaila, from Victoria BC. We have also had her offshore with a great trip up to New Caledonia and many local coastal trips. She is a great boat. There is also a Fraser 41 in these waters, Ardmachree and I need to catch up with them.

Last edited by Kiwi Sailor; 03-05-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2012

Quote:
There is also a Fraser 41 in these waters, Ardmachree and I need to catch up with them.
I've emailed Ardmachree a couple of times. She has the same interior finish as our boat.

We developed leaks in two of our chain plates this winter. When we bought the boat, that was an issue that worried me a little, as the way the boat was finished, they couldn't be inspected without ripping some stuff out. I spoke to Aire DeKleer on the phone before purchasing Nikko and asked him to describe how he built the chainplates and described them as pretty much bullet proof. I guess I'll find out this spring when it quits raining and I fix the leaks.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-09-2012

hboy is on a distinguished road

Hi:

Anyone who owns, any idea on the minimum headroom? I am 6'4", looking for a boat with 6'5" minimum. Looks like the same problem as the Corbin 39, mostly owner finished on the inside, so headrooms have to be discussed on a per boat basis as opposed to the design in general.

hboy
Old 03-09-2012

I'm 6'1" and I have clearance, but not much. I'm pretty sure my boat does not have 6'5" minimum.
La Conner, WA

Old 04-28-2012

Hyrdflyr is on a distinguished road

I just bought the Fraser 41 "Cassie" after selling my Longliner/Jig boat. Glad to hear they are so well thought of. It was the best boat I could find for the money, even in today's market.

I would really appreciate it if someone could send me a copy of the cutter rig sail plan or sail dimensions etc. I am preparing to sail it home to Alaska and am looking out for some spare sails.
Old 04-28-2012

I've seen diagrams of Nikko's sail plan in the boat file. I'll see if it shows anything for a cutter option.
La Conner, WA

Old 04-30-2012

Hyrdflyr is on a distinguished road

Ray, the sloop sail plan would be helpful also.

Thanks, John