SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bombay Clipper 31

47K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  sostrom88 
#1 ·
Anybody have any of the Bombay Clipper models?

#30 ·
Hello all,
The bombay people on here have been quiet of late. I need some help from yall. Spring is arriving in tn quickly and the boat is becoming almost ready. I have a loos tension gauge and was wondering how most of you tension your rigging. I also am installing a depthfinder. Can I put the in hull transducer in the bilge or should it go forward . Looking forward to answers, thanks, Wade

#34 ·
I sold my Bombay Clipper, Far Cry, and bought a Freedom 39. I couldn't handle being "an orphan brand" any longer.:D

It would seem I will still be spending a fair amount of time on Far Cry with the new owner helping him get familiar with her.

#36 ·
Hi Bombay Clipper 31 owners!

I'm considering buying a Bombay Clipper 31 and wanted to see if you could give me more insight on the boat. I will learn to sail with this boat, I only have experience being a hostess on a a charter boat.

I looked at this boat the other day and I fell in love with it because of the roominess inside.. everything seems to be my size. The boat is in Panama where I live so I will spend the next few years learning to sail in the Panama-Colombia coast. Do you consider this a good beginner boat? I hear you on the tank look and FEEL. But do you think that learning to sail on this boat will better prepare me for sleeker, faster, more 'navigable' boats in the future? OR NOT? The mast is so far forward, what is your experience maneuvering it?

I don't think i'll be able to single hand for a few years, but do you single hand this boat? I'm 5.1", is it realistic that I could single hand it one day? The boat I looked at is in really good shape. The only thing I need to look at now is osmosis in the hull. Any other suggestions of things to look at knowing how yours has aged over time?? The sale price is great. Is this a deal I can't miss or should I look for other beginner boats? Oh and what do you do for a fridge? you have one? if so where? THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY INSIGHT YOU CAN OFFER ME!!!

FarCry - the pictures of your boat make me want to buy mine fast and make it look as good as yours.

#37 · (Edited)
Hi Bombay Clipper 31 owners!

I'm considering buying a Bombay Clipper 31 and wanted to see if you could give me more insight on the boat. I will learn to sail with this boat, I only have experience being a hostess on a a charter boat.

I looked at this boat the other day and I fell in love with it because of the roominess inside.. everything seems to be my size. The boat is in Panama where I live so I will spend the next few years learning to sail in the Panama-Colombia coast. Do you consider this a good beginner boat? I hear you on the tank look and FEEL. But do you think that learning to sail on this boat will better prepare me for sleeker, faster, more 'navigable' boats in the future? OR NOT? The mast is so far forward, what is your experience maneuvering it?

I don't think i'll be able to single hand for a few years, but do you single hand this boat? I'm 5.1", is it realistic that I could single hand it one day? The boat I looked at is in really good shape. The only thing I need to look at now is osmosis in the hull. Any other suggestions of things to look at knowing how yours has aged over time?? The sale price is great. Is this a deal I can't miss or should I look for other beginner boats? Oh and what do you do for a fridge? you have one? if so where? THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY INSIGHT YOU CAN OFFER ME!!!

FarCry - the pictures of your boat make me want to buy mine fast and make it look as good as yours.
Let me reply to your post in order

Do you consider this a good beginner boat? I learned to sail on it. The guy that bought it from me learned how to sail on it. It is very forgiving, solidly built and simple. I feel those are are good features for learning on.

But do you think that learning to sail on this boat will better prepare me for sleeker, faster, more 'navigable' boats in the future? OR NOT? I believe that if you have a solid sailing foundation, you can step on nearly anything with sails and make it go. As you get it going you can then start "tweaking" things and see if the boat goes faster, closer to the wind, heals less or whatever else your goal might be. Because it's a robust small vessel, the inevitable mistakes should be less painful to the boat and your pocketbook. I'm not sure what you mean by navigable. Far Cry could turn around in about her length with proper use of the rudder and prop walk. As far as faster... That's a term I really trip on. A BC31 by the numbers should be barely faster than a snail. In reality, once I had some more skills and racing experience, I regularly beat "faster" boats to the same destination in races. That is boat on boat, when the gigantic racing handicap was added, I really did well. I see no downside to learning on a BC31 and then moving on to something bigger. Before I forget, Far Cry was the deeper draft version drawing about 5'. Most BC31s I've seen for sale are shoal draft and 3.5'. I literally flew by one of those that was on the same tack I was on. So keep in mind my comments are based on Far Cry.

The mast is so far forward, what is your experience maneuvering it? I guess I never noticed that it was proportionally that much farther forward than other sloops of that size and vintage. I thought it maneuvered great. Backing into my slip at the end of a trip was a white knuckle experience the first 10 times until I learned to not spare the throttle and build up a lot of speed before shifting into neutral. She then behaved very civilized. There are a lot of places I could easily maneuver a BC31 that would really be tough on my Freedom 39 and I am paid to put boats in slips in a windy place!

I don't think i'll be able to single hand for a few years, but do you single hand this boat? I'm 5.1", is it realistic that I could single hand it one day? I didn't single hand very often for a variety of reasons. One, my wife or friends always wanted to go! Two, I never ran the lines back to the cockpit to make it easier to single hand. Three, I never had an autopilot installed so it was kind of a dance to getting everything just right so I could dash to the mast and pull the main up. I think it's realistic that a 5'1" person could single hand a BC31 if, the boat was setup to do so. The guy who bought Far Cry had never sailed a day when he bought the boat. He is a smart guy and a fast learner. I took him out maybe 10 times over the course of a month after the purchase and he has been single handing it ever since. I think with proper instruction a person can be taught to do most any skill.

The only thing I need to look at now is osmosis in the hull. Any other suggestions of things to look at knowing how yours has aged over time?? Far Cry had maybe six 1" diameter blisters that I did have fixed. Osmosis...depending upon who you listen to, can either be ignored or is going to sink the boat tomorrow! I personally wouldn't get too excited on a BC31 because the hull is solid glass that is 1-1.5" thick. I fixed mine because I had just stripped off 30 years of bottom paint to the bare gelcoat. It seemed like the right thing to do. If I hadn't stripped off the built up layers of paint, she would still have blisters and I wouldn't have lost a moments sleep over it. My boat was structurally still in excellent condition. There were no soft spots on the deck. I would strongly suggest you have a surveyor and a rigger go over the boat. It's old!!! Who knows what has been updated or what needs to be replaced? I can't provide any insight as to what problems to look for as I didn't really have any other than cosmetic.

Is this a deal I can't miss or should I look for other beginner boats? That would be like me telling you to buy a specific car from the 1970s. Is it a good deal? Maybe, maybe not. You need to hire a professional or at least a trusted knowledgeable friend to look things over for you. If the boat is truly in good shape, I think it's an excellent starter boat. It's not like it's going to depreciate any further if you decide to sell it!!!

Oh and what do you do for a fridge? you have one? I used the factory installed icebox for the first few years in the galley until I fell into a great deal on a barely used refrigeration system. It was a one day install into the existing icebox and was possibly the 2nd best improvement I made on the boat, the best was the paint job! There are all kinds of retrofit options for an icebox or even an Engel 12v fridge could be a sufficient option for you to consider.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Far Cry. She still looks pretty.

Good luck and let me know how things go.

#39 ·
Water and gas question:
How long can you go with 60 gallons of water capacity? and the 30 gallons of diesel? I just don't know how fast water is consumed. on the islands where i plan to have the boat, there's no water. you have to go about 6 miles or more for water. did you guys have issues with that? thanks!

#40 ·
Well it depends..... Water we could go a long time but we used a lot of salt water for most things and rinsed with just a little of the precious fresh water. You can put a few 5 gallon water jugs on the lifelines. I used to store two 5 gallon water jugs down in the giant lazerette in case we ran out.

You can do the same with fuel. Originally my boat had a 15hp Yanmar that sipped between a 1/4 and 1/3 gallon per hour. I was a sailor and sailed a lot of the time. I filled the tank up once a year, whether it needed it or not!!! Just before selling Far Cry I installed a 20hp Yanmar and fuel burn would have gone up proportionally to match increased horsepower. I had solar so never needed to run the engine to charge batteries. If you are set up similarly I would suspect you would need water much more often then you needed fuel. 6 miles is just an hour each way under power. Plan accordingly and I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. If tankage were an issue there is a lot of space that could be utilized for the installation of bladder tanks. You could always get creative with awnings to be used for rain collection too.

#41 ·
Alright, I'm going to sail it tomorrow to test drive it so i'm excited!

The last question is in regards to off shore navigation. Have you owners spent much time sailing this vessel off shore? And one specific question to all: would you sail this vessel across the pacific ocean? I live in Panama and would probably think about crossing the canal and going across the Pacific eventually. Can this boat handle it? By everything mentioned, it would take it much longer than a lot of other boats, but would it make it? Or is that kind of voyage too taxing for this kind of boat?

Thanks!

#43 ·
Alright, I'm going to sail it tomorrow to test drive it so i'm excited!

The last question is in regards to off shore navigation. Have you owners spent much time sailing this vessel off shore? And one specific question to all: would you sail this vessel across the pacific ocean? I live in Panama and would probably think about crossing the canal and going across the Pacific eventually. Can this boat handle it? By everything mentioned, it would take it much longer than a lot of other boats, but would it make it? Or is that kind of voyage too taxing for this kind of boat?

Thanks!
I have not spent a lot of time offshore on a BC31.

I've never sailed in the Pacific and have no idea what conditions one might encounter on the way. It's my understanding that you would be going downwind mostly and or motoring. Would I sail my old BC31 across that pond? Maybe... I would have no doubts my BC31 would survive the trip. She had survived numerous hurricanes in the water here. I've sailed her in some rough conditions, others above have done the same with theirs. All things being equal, there is a large list of other boats I would prefer to make the trip on. If I was going to live on the boat once I got someplace, then I might lean more towards it. For a 31' boat there is a lot of interior room. I'm not sure anybody can fully answer your questions without knowing your budget, the existing condition of the vessel you are looking at, the amount it would cost to get her passage ready, your skill level, your schedule, your crew, your long term plan once across, your minimum comfort level, etc. I believe a properly setup BC31 could go most anywhere the crew wished to take her just as I suspect nearly any boat of that era would be "able" to make it most anywhere.

#44 ·
Alright FarCry, I'm meeting with the owner on sunday to buy the boat! I tested it on the water with some experienced captains and it sails beautifully. The sails are a little bit old, but still in good shape. The engine sounded fine. it has a gps and a depth finder. Totally stripped off of all security equipment, so i'll have to get all that new. But the boat is in great shape, upholstery new.

Anyway, i wanted to ask you if you had anything to add to this already comprehensive checklist that i'm taking with me.

Thanks!!

Does it have bottom paint?

What kind of bottom paint? Brand? How many gallons needed? When last applied?

Size of zincs. When last changed.

Type / brand of oil. When last changed.

Fuel Filters: type and when last changed.

Raw water impellor. When last changed

Engine manuals

Any other instruction manuals and installation for everything from the VHF radio, the chartplotter, to the microwave.

Any spare parts he won't need on his next boat

How much fuel can she carry?

How much water?

Is everything that was listed actually on the boat?

Where's the storm sail?

Where's that second propane tank?

Where's the fuel shutoff?

What's the trick to opening this hatch?

Anything you need to remember to turn on or turn off before you get underway? (Example: water heater)

What should I know about this boat that I don't even know that I don't know?

Any particular mechanic or yard he would recommend who would be familiar with the boat.

Why kind of canvass does it have? How old is the canvas?

With whom is the boat insured?

What's this knob on the helm do that has no label?

Show me where all the through hull valves are and what each one does - take notes.

Does she have a left hand or right hand prop?

How do we reef the main?

What's that funny noise she makes when you put her in reverse?

Condition of engine and outdrive?

How was the boat used (Inshore? Offshore? Fishing? Pleasure? Freshwater? Saltwater?)

How many hours on the engine/outdrive?

Has the boat ever sat unused for any length of time?

What repairs have been done?

What things require repair or maintenance right now?

How was the boat maintained? Do you have all of the maintenance records?

Condition of deck, upholstery and interior?

How is the hull and exterior cosmetics?

Are there any blisters or dry rot?

Does it include a dinghy (condition of dinghy)?

Is it all original fiberglass and graphics?

How has the boat been stored?

Has the boat ever been left in the water on a regular basis? (stored at a marina, dock or at anchor?)

Has the boat ever been in an accident?

What other accessories are included?

Do you have clear title to the boat?

Are you the boat’s only owner or are there partners?

Has the boat ever been safety inspected? If so, when?

What else would you like me to know about the boat?

If electronics are included, what condition are they in?
What types of electronics does it have?
Any transferable warranties on any of the items?

- Why are you selling the boat?

- What do you really like about the boat?

- What do you really NOT like about the boat?

- What's the worst problem you ever had with this boat?

#46 ·
safety equipment - life raft, life vests.. the only actual ´things´inside are the engine, the main, the gib, a spinnaker, a gps, and a depth finder. not even the propane tank for the stove. :)

I wasn´t planning on hiring a surveyor. I´ve had about 6 long time seamen check it out inside out and they came with me sailing on it as well. all agreed it was in good shape. still will take it out of the water in the next few months.

#48 ·
Hi all, we are new to sailing and in Central Florida. We just bought a 1978 Bombay Clipper 31. Previous owner had done tons of outside work to her, lovely paint job, bottom job, no blisters, deck repainted and sound, engine rebuilt, new tanks, plus new sails never opened, SS portlights...tons of extras, we just have to put her back together. ;-)

We mainly need to work on interior and will have her out of water for a couple months working on her in a boatyard. We are thinking of removing the settee on the starboard side and extending the galley counter and storage along the whole length. There are only two of us so we think we'll still have plenty of room. Week long river trips and Intracoastal till we get familiar with her.

Any other interior (or other) upgrades that you'd recommend?

Far Cry is a gorgeous girl and an inspiration for our BC!

#50 ·
Hi all, we are new to sailing and in Central Florida. We just bought a 1978 Bombay Clipper 31. Previous owner had done tons of outside work to her, lovely paint job, bottom job, no blisters, deck repainted and sound, engine rebuilt, new tanks, plus new sails never opened, SS portlights...tons of extras, we just have to put her back together. ;-)

We mainly need to work on interior and will have her out of water for a couple months working on her in a boatyard. We are thinking of removing the settee on the starboard side and extending the galley counter and storage along the whole length. There are only two of us so we think we'll still have plenty of room. Week long river trips and Intracoastal till we get familiar with her.

Any other interior (or other) upgrades that you'd recommend?

Far Cry is a gorgeous girl and an inspiration for our BC!
Hi Laura. Welcome to Sailnet. Thank you for the compliments directed to my previous sailboat. If you are just after more counter space, I would look at a hinged shelf that could come up behind the galley or beside it. We spent a lot of time using both settees when it was raining outside and needed them when friends went on trips with us. Good luck with your new boat and if you ever make it down to the Virgin Islands, please look me up!

#53 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I've been spending a lot of time away from the internet. The current owner has Far Cry for sale and hasn't used the boat much in the past couple of years. I don't believe the current owner is on any forums. I rarely see or hear from him and Far Cry is just one dock over from me... I don't know of any Bombay forums. There are a few Bombay Clipper owners here though.

#58 ·
Hi there to everyone still keeping tabs of this thread, my name is Alex, I’m a proud owner of Saltbox, a Bombay Clipper 76’, of the shoal draft persuasion at 3.5 feet.

I’m about to do a pretty heavy refit; the rigging, power plant, wiring. That’s just the stuff I’m planning on but I do not expect that list to stay short as I really start finding the nook and cranny Easter egg leaks and cracks some time uncovered on the hard will produce.

I just wanted to drop a post in the thread and maybe make contact with other owners, I’m kind of teaching myself as I go as far as all the refit work goes, I’m going to go slow and not get in over my head. but I look forward to learning from you guys as well as the rest of the community.

I do actually have a question to kick myself off here, do any of you have experiences with hinged or tabernacled masts? I’m thinking about making the switch, but I haven’t really found much about them in the 31 foot length.