Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Orphan Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Hello and grads on the getting a Bombay Clipper. My jib sheets run outside all the stanchions and then turns though a cheek block near the stern and to the winch. Hope this helps but you can see the setup pretty good on Farcrys pics.

Last edited by bluwateronly; 11-30-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009

bcb42 is on a distinguished road
Thanks!!! I see it now... but...you don't have any rubbing on the fiberglass? Does the stand-off block on the traveler rail (I think that's what its called) help with that? Thank you so much with your advice...we took her out in Clear Lake here in Houston...she'll be a good stable boat for the Sea Scouts...any other advice is appreciated!
Old 11-30-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
You should not have any rubbing on the fiberglass if the jib sheet is run correctly. If you have something specific I will try to help but in general the boat sails well just dosnt point as good as others I have been on but it's not too bad and she gets her legs in higher winds not the best light air boat. I get lots of wind on the San Francisco bay well, in the summer anyway, and when the wind pipes up is when the boat sails the best.
Old 12-01-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on your Bombay, BCB42.

Bluewaters comments are correct. My boat runs a low cut "near deck sweeper" genoa as can be seen in the photos. The previous owner added a different jib track farther forward and inboard from the original factory location. If you look very closely in the photos of Far Cry undersail you can follow the lazy sheet to get an idea of where the block is in realtionship to the deck. It is just about where the cabin top starts to slope down from the highest point or, just about mid-boom. Of course if you are running more of a Yankee cut sail then the factory block location back towards the stern would be the appropriate location for best trim and much better visibility than I have!!!!!
Old 06-07-2010

abode is on a distinguished road
hl all, I have purchased the boat Ralph was talking about. To me all his issues were pluses. no batts but still floating with hatches open tell me no leaks and mold washes off. I paid a deposit had her hauled and she sat on hard for the winter until I could get up to see her. Svensons' hauled the Bombay Clipper to Tn. I did a bottom job 3 days no blisters, placed in water no leaks, adler barbour works as do all lights. Replaced bilge and am slowly working out the rest of the systems. I am ecstatic! The boat while terribly dirty has cleaned up well and so far things have mostly worked. I will replace and update the electical system. My water tank leaks (original) and hope to pull it this week and make repairs. I love this boat so far and would like to hear from other owners about improvements I could make. Thanks, Wade
Old 06-08-2010

DulceSuerna is on a distinguished road
Our boat was similar in that it was a mess that had not seen attention for several (5) years She cleaned up awesome, though we still need to paint the topsides. We Awlgripped her sides and did the botom job, no blisters on ours either. Power we have a 25 hp Westerbeke, moves her @ 7kts at 1800 rpm, think a 3 blade prop would do better. Our sails are in very rough shape but still move the boat at 6-7 in a decent wind. I would like to see some inside or cokpit pics from other BC31's I am still struggling with where to mount new electronics, etc. our refrigeration system is not working too well, only cools to about 10 degrees colder then outside temps. Someone on here has ac on theirs I would love to see how that is set up, and where the bateries are mounted. All in all we love the boat, she sails decent, but has more room then you could ask for!
Old 06-11-2010

Dulce,
Not much by way of electronics on board now. I have a Ritchie tabletop mount compass on the cockpit table and a flushmounted compass next to the companion way, I will add a depthfinder soon, and other electronics slowly. Hard to get lost on the Tn River ,lol., Will be trying her for the first sail this weekend. I have a 15 merc mounted outboard, the yanmar is in the boat but not working. I will pull and rebuild in the next year. Wade
Old 06-21-2010

I would love to hear about modifications people have made to their clippers. Far Cry is as lovely a vessel as I can imagine. Would love to see her inards. I'll post pics when I get my girl more respectable. Wade
Old 06-22-2010
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Far Cry's interior is a work in progress. When I have time to work on her, work progresses.

Honestly the interior was very rough when I acquired her and I focused my efforts and $$$$'s on the exterior. Now whenever I have free time and the choice is to go sailing or work on making the interior "pretty" I almost always go sailing!!!!! At this rate it will never get beyond the half way completed state it is in now.

Enjoy your project.
Old 06-22-2010

Fair enough, I am living aboard part time so the interior has a little more meaning to me.