Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Orphan Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009

eliotrcutler is on a distinguished road
Weather Helm??

Hi . . . I have a question for Marlin owners and restorers. I have nearly completed the restoration of a Marlin that has been in my family since 1960, but I remain stymied by the pronounced weather helm and wonder whether some adjustments in the rigging might address that problem. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2011

tonygogo is on a distinguished road
helm

Hi, I just bought a '61 Marlin and would like to know if you have solved the weather helm question...thanks John Ehlers jesurvey@optonline.net
Old 02-01-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
There used to be a Cutter-rigged Marlin daysailer in Wareham on the mooring next to ours when we had our CAL 21. I think she was a 1960 model, when the owner bought her she had one of those ugly lifting outboard brackets that placed the raised outboard up to the point that it looked ot be floating in mid-air. That bracket on "Starry Night" looks good in comparison. Later they installed an outboard well at the aft end of the cockpit, offset to one side to clear the keel and rudder.
She left Wareham about a year or so before we sold our CAL, I think CCSB brokered her sale, her name was "TANGLE" in those days. Now, with a new name she is for sale again, I think she is up in Maine, although CCSB has her listed again, $8,000.

The last new MARLIN to leave CCSB was in 2007 I believe, and I think her owner's wallet was probably about $100K lighter when he left Wareham! Home port is out West, Colorado if I recall?
The next new MARLIN will be more of a competition to the Bridges Point 24, CCSB has designed a new deck mold that is more tradional, looking more like a Herreshoff MARLIN, rather than the "upside down bathtub" design of the fiberglass MARLIN Cruiser.
Someone mentioned the ungelcoated areas of the deck on old MARLINs, CCSB did that on a lot of their cabin boats in the 1950-60s, it served as a sort-of "skylight" letting light in through the laminate without making holes for ports. I think I would have varnished those areas if I wanted to preserve the translusency. Painted over it if installing deadlights.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Cod Marlin 23' refit-5v55o65r53n53m13l2bbce010bb3f2a03187a.jpg   Cape Cod Marlin 23' refit-5w35x05s33n83m53l2bbca957a3eb6bfc140d.jpg   Cape Cod Marlin 23' refit-tangle_pic.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 02-01-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added picture of TANGLE
Old 01-18-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Cape Cod Marlin 23' refit

I love the looks of the Marlin and I think I will be looking for one of the elusive "cruiser" models this next fall.

My question concerns speed. I want to do some coastal cruising up and down the East Coast.. any idea how fast she actually is so I can do some planning?

Thanks,

Art
Old 01-19-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Fast is a relative thing. Clearly a properly handled, well designed modern boats will be faster on all points of sail and in all conditions.

But once you get past that kind of comparison, the Marlin was actually a pretty fast boat for its era and intent. The hull design is such that for a long keeled boat it has comparatively little wetted surface. As with many Herreschoff designs, its waterline was long for that era, its bow was comparatively fine, and the run and counter was straight, clean and close enough to the water to be helpful. These boats had a pretty good sized sail plan, and the original fractional rig was an easy rig to sail.

All of which is to say, these boats sail well and were comparatively fast for their day. And that performance can be improved over the boat in stock form and as you typically find them, by making sure that you have decent modern shaped sails, an efficient mainsheet and traveler, and a vang.

If properly set up, you would expect to be able to reliably average 2-3 knots in a moderate breeze, and perhaps 4 knots in a really solid wind. That may sound slow, but average speeds are deceptive since you either need to do stay close to the average speed reliably and consistently, or be able to sustain higher speeds for short bursts to offset the slower speeds in the averaging.

The one thing that I will say about boats like these are that they have comparatively small carrying capacities relative to their displacement. When yacht designers evaluate how much a boat can carry, they look at the displacement of the boat and the percent of its displacement it can carry before it becomes dramatically slower and more dangerous. The good news is that these boats have a pretty high displacement for their length. But the bad news is that the perentage of displacement that a boat can safely carry is mostly governed by the area of a boat's waterline plane. Boats like these have comparatively small waterline planes and so can tolerate a smaller percentage of their displacement as carrying capacity.

In other words, if you are going distancel cruising, you need to be disciplined about not overloading the boat with too much stuff. Years ago, the norm was to cruise very spartanly. But that expection has changed for most folks, and so there is an increased expectation about the sheer amount of stuff that people feel that they need to drag along. More and more, boats get loaded down with all kinds of gear either for 'safety' or in an attempt to approach all the comforts of home.

Neither approach is inherently right or wrong, but this type of boat does not permit the choice of cruising in a fashion which is 'just like home'.

Lastly, the Marlin was designed as a daysailer, overnighter, and when the cruiser version was built, it added a lot of weight which would further reduce excess carrying capacity and performance.

Great boats though.....

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-19-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

My idea of a long distance cruise.. is enough clothes for a week, my broken down bicycle, food, water, and safety gear. My goal is to sail from Atlantic City to Florida putting into a port every evening (even if just a sheltered place to drop anchor) and out every sunrise.

It's just me as my G/F idea of "roughing it" is an econolodge (this idea may put paid to this relationship)

So. now that I know what to expect, I can plan accordingly. Friend of mine thought she would be a 3 knot boat.. so that seems about right.