SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Compac owners unite

22K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  greene2108 
#1 ·
Love our Compac 16 and would like to learn more about upgrading, sailing, and repairing her. We have only had "Puppy Luff" on the water four times since adopting her. Everything we read about her is true. Just wondering what experiences other Compac owners have had. The CP19 and CP23 will stay high on our "next boat" short list.

#2 ·
Well, I can give you a bit of information that may be useful.

Visit my website in my signature and there is a link to a Compac 16 owners website where he did a few modifications that you might be interested in. Also you can get some good ideas from some of the other links on the same page.

ComPac sailboats alot of info here
http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/events.htm here is a good link to some interesting compac things.

Good luck and have fun with your new boat!

#3 ·
Compac Info

Thanks for the new (to us) site. We were using the com-pacowners.com forum, but they seem to be having some serious tech problems. We love the Orange Beach area as we have a condo there. Are you located near that area?

#4 ·
Anyone know if the com-pacowners site is ever coming back?

I sure miss the wealth of info that was available on Compac sailboats on this site. We don't seem to be able to generate any interest in this Compac thread, where else have the compac'ers gone?

#6 ·
My next Compac

I am jealous of your sailing season. We just had 10" of snow yesterday and we are expecting another 3-5" today. Heated storage sailing isn't the most exciting.

Have you posted any pic's of your 23 yet? Seeing pictures of other boats and the projects going on sure will help pass the winter months. My 16 was in pretty good condition when I bought it. I made a quick mahogony replacement tiller since the original had been shortened to less than half the OEM length. We will be replacing the cam cleat for the mainsheet and the blue paint is oxidized.

Good sailing!

#7 · (Edited)
Don't have many pics of the boat yet. Here are a few on this post about bringing my boat home.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...ted/49418-cape-canaveral-tampa-lots-pics.html

My first project is fixing the rudder. right now there is a lot of play in the rudder, which is really annoying when steering. The original pintles were replaced with bolts that are a little too small. It is an easy fix, once I find the right part. I also have a small leak through one of the handrales on the cabin top. I have patched it temporarily, but plan on rebedding all the deck hardware this winter. I also have a small amount of fiberglass work where the previous owner bumped a dock a little too hard. Nothing too serious, but enough to keep me busy for a while.

anyway, good luck with your boat. Is that a pic of her in your avatar? I love the tan bark sails. I'll make sure to report on my progress.

#8 ·
compac fan

I realize that this thread is a little outdated, but I'm going to dredge it up anyway because I'm a Compac fan. My dad had a Compac 16 while I was growing up. Beamy, stable little tub. One time the entire family of 5 went out for a rip-roaring sail after a front blew through. If I decide to pick up a trailer sailer instead of a small liveaboard, the Compac Suncat 17 is my top choice. Classic lines. The rigging system looks incredibly easy and I even found footage of a guy sailing the catboat rigged with what appears to be a small jib:
YouTube - Com Pac Sun Cat 17 12/27

#9 ·
Compac Tub?

Not sure I'm real fond of the "tub" description but I agree with you that Compac has made some really nice little boats. I am shopping for a couple of new tires for my Magic-Tilt trailer (5.3 x 12 6-ply with 5 bolt rim) to replace the originals if anyone knows of a good source. I have also been asking around for info on what size genoa to add to my '84 and what kind of tracks others have used.

Our plan is to upgrade Puppy Luff (a little) while we play and learn some more this summer. Next year we plan on getting into something in the 19 - 26' range that we can weekend in. Compac, O'Day, Catalina ... It sure is hard not to buy one right away. The economy is creating all kinds of bargains in trailerable boats. Seems my wife thinks I should sell the two extra Jeeps, Buick Century, and two powerboats before I buy another sailboat. How unreasonable is that! I suggested I just build another garage.

#10 ·
Not sure I'm real fond of the "tub" description but I agree with you that Compac has made some really nice little boats. I am shopping for a couple of new tires for my Magic-Tilt trailer (5.3 x 12 6-ply with 5 bolt rim) to replace the originals if anyone knows of a good source. I have also been asking around for info on what size genoa to add to my '84 and what kind of tracks others have used.

Our plan is to upgrade Puppy Luff (a little) while we play and learn some more this summer. Next year we plan on getting into something in the 19 - 26' range that we can weekend in. Compac, O'Day, Catalina ... It sure is hard not to buy one right away. The economy is creating all kinds of bargains in trailerable boats. Seems my wife thinks I should sell the two extra Jeeps, Buick Century, and two powerboats before I buy another sailboat. How unreasonable is that! I suggested I just build another garage.
Didn't mean to offend. By tub, just meant beamy and stable. Those Compacs can take some serious weather for their size.

#11 ·
Spring Fever Just Got Squashed

Wisconsin has had a few days of warm sunshine (54 degrees!) that opened up some of the interlake waterways. Instant spring fever, at least until it snowed again last night. Oh well, it won't be that much longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.