Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Orphan Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011

mouser370 is on a distinguished road
I know fro looking at the spirit 23 and the older pre spirit north american 23 it is absolutely a north american 23. The cabin lay out of the original north american 23 is what I see in this boat. the real definer is the way the table , located on the port side of the boat and the galley is the clincher. The table becomes the berth once lowered. the galley is on the starboard side of the boat located midship making the starboard berth a quarter berth.

any help will on the location of equipment inside the boat would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011

messenger is on a distinguished road
From my research, and the fact that I have owned a 78 Spirit 23 (from HIN made in April of 78) for about 6 years now...a "pre" Spirit 23, would be known as a North American 23...IIRC, Glastron, once buying and taking over from North American Yachts in Austin, put the Spirit name to their boats(21s, 23s, and 28s)....North American 23s, made from 76 to late 77, had a built in galley to starboard just aft of the starboard bulkhead leading to the v berth...Spirit 23s, (post late 77), had a slide out galley below the companionway hatch. The NA 23s had a dinette table portside, with athwartship seating both fore and aft of the table...the winch for the centerboard was mounted near this table on NA 23s....later, on Spirit 23s, there was no dinette table except a "sharable" table that could also be used in the cockpit..., nor was there athwartship seating, rather, a longitudinal berth on both port and starboard sides, along with above mentioned "slide out galley..piece of crap btw, first thing I threw away).....and the centerboard winch was, as already mentioned, in the forward portion of the port locker in the cockpit...and fwiw... my North Carolina registration has it titled as a Bombardier Spirit 23....oh well...my 2 cents..could be wrong..
Old 08-18-2011

thomasward00 is on a distinguished road
I'm in the New Orleans Area and will be picking up my 23 American spirit on Sept 15th, it's in good shape but I need to find a trailer..

Any ideas for a low cost solution, I won't be hauling it far or on the Interstate.
Old 08-19-2011

could you send me a pic or drawing of the routing of the winch and the cabling. the wnch I have was on a wood backing but the boat is in such bad shape inside I cannot find the location of the winch placement. It is interesting the winch cable comes up through the hull right at the cockpit entrance from the center board.
Old 08-29-2011

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims
For Sale

23' Sailboat. Trailer. Motor.
Old 08-29-2011

Purchased for 2150.00

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139218...Lr8086olM3qngE
Old 09-05-2011

a true na23

the boat I have was prior to glastron buying the NA name and renaming it the NA Spirit, It is a true NA base on the floor plan lay out on NA's info. The real problem I'm having is finding info on the centerboard cable winch layout and where the winch was located. The inside of the boat is completely trashed as it was trailer-ed for 10 years and never saw the water during that time.

It would be appreciated if I coild get photos of the inside of the boat showing the lay out of the center board winch, electrical panel, and galley.
Old 09-11-2011

Does anyone have tips for replacing the cabin windows? I'm assuming that they are plexiglass.
Old 09-26-2011

phixius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasward00 View Post
Does anyone have tips for replacing the cabin windows? I'm assuming that they are plexiglass.
Yes I did it s pain in .. but is doable Mailme petrpompa@ yahoo.com got some pictures.
1 remove windows frames only from outside ,they will brake it is given,
2 assuming you have acrylic / lexan , what ever clear or tinted ,peal old windows out of framer ,(they will brake even more)
3 copy shapes of windows and cut them
4 glue frames back together i used bondo , not perfect but works, fill screw holes also
5 use grinder and dremel tool to clean bondo ,predrill new srew holes on different locations
6 use plastic paint in spray (home Depot/ Rust olleum) to prime frames
7 peal plastic film from lexan and silicon windows on frames,after 24 h add beat of silicon to completely seal widow and frame
8 clean window openings out of debris , test windows,fix what is necessary, trace pencil outside perimeter
9 use blue tape to cower outside area that not to be goop-up by silicon run generous amount silicon around windows especialy ower old screw holes and stick windows in
10 screw all in and let it dry for 24 h cut around w utility knife and remove blue tape with leftover of silicon ,you could run thin beat of almond silicon around outside window. Frames might crack again ,plastic is old , just silicon them and be happy ,mine works fine and don't leak .Do fix inside frames in winter time. fair wind.
Old 10-02-2011

he boat I have was prior to glastron buying the NA name and renaming it the NA Spirit, It is a true NA base on the floor plan lay out on NA's info. The real problem I'm having is finding info on the centerboard cable winch layout and where the winch was located. The inside of the boat is completely trashed as it was trailer-ed for 10 years and never saw the water during that time.

It would be appreciated if I coild get photos of the inside of the boat showing the lay out of the center board winch, electrical panel, and galley.
Edit/Delete Message