Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Orphan Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011

blobaugh is on a distinguished road
It is built like a tank! That is what is causing me to wonder how the previous owner snapped the centerboard off, broke the rudder in half, and gouged out the starboard aft side :S. It must have been one wild ride to accomplish that!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2011

windyway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobaugh View Post
It is built like a tank! That is what is causing me to wonder how the previous owner snapped the centerboard off, broke the rudder in half, and gouged out the starboard aft side :S. It must have been one wild ride to accomplish that!
Sailboat versus "the hard" ...The hard wins every time I've heard of!
Old 11-11-2011

blobaugh is on a distinguished road
Had a buddy get run aground last month. He was in 6 foot waves being pounded against rock and he did not show this much damage
Old 11-12-2011

makenmend is on a distinguished road
Drop keel and progress report

now the cooler weather is here(Central Texas) made some good progess recently. All wood work has been replaced, fordeck hatch made from original mold using ply and several layers biaxial 6 oz cloth, hull (below waterline) sanded, small blisters ground out and filled/faired with epoxy goopie ready for epoxy/grafite bottom coat, mast/boom inspected some jury rigged hardware (non stainless) replaced with stainless also some new blocks.
But niggling in the back of my mind now for some while has been, will the drop keel deploy when I get her on the water, so with the help of a couple of friends, got the stern lifted high enough to lower the keel partialy and all was good, big relief.

now onto making a gally box, dining table, calking windows,curtain rails/curtains.

Then try and figger out how to raise/lower mast on my own ??

also have a concern that the 4 horse nissan is not sufficient for this boat, Thoughts ???
Old 11-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenmend View Post
now the cooler weather is here(Central Texas) made some good progess recently. All wood work has been replaced, fordeck hatch made from original mold using ply and several layers biaxial 6 oz cloth, hull (below waterline) sanded, small blisters ground out and filled/faired with epoxy goopie ready for epoxy/grafite bottom coat, mast/boom inspected some jury rigged hardware (non stainless) replaced with stainless also some new blocks.
But niggling in the back of my mind now for some while has been, will the drop keel deploy when I get her on the water, so with the help of a couple of friends, got the stern lifted high enough to lower the keel partialy and all was good, big relief.

now onto making a gally box, dining table, calking windows,curtain rails/curtains.

Then try and figger out how to raise/lower mast on my own ??

also have a concern that the 4 horse nissan is not sufficient for this boat, Thoughts ???
The question should be will the drop keel raise. Not deploy. The shear weight will lower the keel if the cable is broken but you will not be able to raise it. Did you check the condition of the cable? Now would be a good time to change it if it is frayed. Unless it was recently changed I'll bet it's frayed.
My guess is a 4H is not enough, I have a 9.9. A 4H may eventually get the boat to hull speed (6 whole knots) but what you'll find is the lower speed maneuverability is lacking, & that's the time when you really need it.
Old 11-13-2011

Windy
The cable (at the winch end) looks to be in good shape I did run oil into the sheath/cable junction while tentioning/slacking cable. if I could see/access to the lower attachment I would replace it as a precaution but don't see how?.

One of the many blisters I ground out and filled was right at the water line,and went right through the hull,fortunatly it's location, port side storage locker, meant access to install glass/epoxy patch was easy. Hull in this area is about 5-6 mm thick, not what I was expecting!!

Having only one experience (the day I took delivery) using the 4 HP (stiff winds close quarters) which went OK I still have reservations and agree with you on a bigger motor.I'll keep the 4 HP for the small boats I build and start looking for a good used 8-10 unit, with charging and or remote facilities.

Thanks very much for your responce.

John Farrell
Old 11-13-2011

Quote:
Windy
The cable (at the winch end) looks to be in good shape I did run oil into the sheath/cable junction while tentioning/slacking cable. if I could see/access to the lower attachment I would replace it as a precaution but don't see how?.

One of the many blisters I ground out and filled was right at the water line,and went right through the hull,fortunatly it's location, port side storage locker, meant access to install glass/epoxy patch was easy. Hull in this area is about 5-6 mm thick, not what I was expecting!!

Having only one experience (the day I took delivery) using the 4 HP (stiff winds close quarters) which went OK I still have reservations and agree with you on a bigger motor.I'll keep the 4 HP for the small boats I build and start looking for a good used 8-10 unit, with charging and or remote facilities.

Thanks very much for your responce.

John Farrell
The winch end of the cable is always good. The cable wears & chafes on the fitting leaving the boat inside the keel trunk. The angle to the keel attach point is about 120 deg. That's why I put a pulley up there.

Can I put a plug in here? If you want a 2 stroke 9.9 xtra long leg, electric start, with remote & cables that I rebuilt & only has about 60 hrs on it I'm selling it for $750 plus shipping. I can send you pictures of it on my boat if you like. I have a crate all ready to go.
Old 11-14-2011

''The winch end of the cable is always good. The cable wears & chafes on the fitting leaving the boat inside the keel trunk. The angle to the keel attach point is about 120 deg. That's why I put a pulley up there''

So I take it you opened up the top of the centre board case to install the pully assembly?? do you have to lower the centre board completely to replace the cable. ??

On the motor, I'm looking for a 4 stroke right now (niose and no oil mixing) but I'll definitly keep the offer in mind if the 4 stk dosn't come along.
Old 11-14-2011

Quote:
''The winch end of the cable is always good. The cable wears & chafes on the fitting leaving the boat inside the keel trunk. The angle to the keel attach point is about 120 deg. That's why I put a pulley up there''

So I take it you opened up the top of the centre board case to install the pully assembly?? do you have to lower the centre board completely to replace the cable. ??

On the motor, I'm looking for a 4 stroke right now (niose and no oil mixing) but I'll definitly keep the offer in mind if the 4 stk dosn't come along.
No I installed it all from underneath. I only drilled 2 holes in the upper keel trunk to install the thru bolts for the pulley bracket
Old 11-16-2011

We have our own forum now!

Thanks for all your posts. The administration, is in the process of making a new forum so we're not orphans anymore! This thread will be migrated over there. I'm hoping that it will be broken down into the Spirit 21, 23, 23K & 28 so cross your fingers, & see you over there soon!