Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011

GoodOldBoater is on a distinguished road
NA Spirit 23 Forum - BRING IT ON!
Old 12-14-2011

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims
Well guys, I have to jump ship. I sold my old Spirit and bought a little Catalina 22 project. On to the next one I guess. Will miss this one though. I'll be posting pics of the progress on the other message board... but here are some pics.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7afa9f44fc

And pics of my old Spirit and all of the work posted at link below. I think she got a good home though, will definitely be sailed.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=ede6d30e8a
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2011

windyway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSims View Post
Well guys, I have to jump ship. I sold my old Spirit and bought a little Catalina 22 project. On to the next one I guess. Will miss this one though. I'll be posting pics of the progress on the other message board... but here are some pics.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7afa9f44fc

And pics of my old Spirit and all of the work posted at link below. I think she got a good home though, will definitely be sailed.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=ede6d30e8a
In my humble view (& I could be entirely wrong but I'm partial) I think the Catalina 22 is inferior, so I'd really like to know why you swapped out an NA23 for a 22 ???
Old 12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyway View Post
In my humble view (& I could be entirely wrong but I'm partial) I think the Catalina 22 is inferior, so I'd really like to know why you swapped out an NA23 for a 22 ???
Well I can say without a doubt, that the NA23 is a better boat. It's better built, heavier, and a very forgiving. I single handed mine alot and the bottom line is that I ran across this little Catalina with everything set up to single hand (lines all ran aft). And had to jump on it. I kept it on a trailer and the 23 was just a little too much for me.

Nothing for or against the Catalina, but i probably would have jumped on anything in that size that was set up like this one is. Long term plan is to get my wife through school (she out of state) and buy something a little nicer. The Catalina is just to get me through the next couple of seasons. Ha

I see there is a NA23 thread now. Thats awesome, also looks like the new owner of mine is already asking and swaping info. Glad she went to a good home, I've got alot of blood, sweat and tears in that boat.

Paul
Old 12-14-2011

Thanks for clearing that up, as always Paul...fair winds and good weather...
Old 12-14-2011

GoodOldBoater is on a distinguished road
>>>>
>>>>

Good luck w/ the Catalina 22 - I've sailed on them a few times - Catalina makes a very nice trailerable cruising sailboat. The four things I really like about the Cat22 are:
WEIGHT: 500lbs less weight than a Spirit 23 makes trailering easier
INTERIOR: Most come with a Dinette Layout which I like
FACTORY PARTS: Easy to get anything you might need from Catalina.
POPULAR: Lots of opportunity to meet new sailors and race

But the things I do prefer about the Spirit 23 - bit more room, added weight for stability, and the shoal Keel w/ fiberglass centerboard.

I have my original standing rigging from my Spirit 23 if it is any use for your project - please let us know how the project is going!!

Dave
Old 12-15-2011

blobaugh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSims View Post
I single handed mine alot and the bottom line is that I ran across this little Catalina with everything set up to single hand (lines all ran aft). And had to jump on it.

Paul
Just curious why you felt the Spirit was not good for single hand? I mostly single hand mine, though my cousin comes whenever she can. Although I would like a furler to make it a bit easier I have not had any issues with my boat single handing and this is my first boat. In fact I figured out how to sail by trial and error on her.

I have been on other boats that were "set up" for single handing and still have really liked the Spirit better
Old 12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobaugh View Post
Just curious why you felt the Spirit was not good for single hand? I mostly single hand mine, though my cousin comes whenever she can. Although I would like a furler to make it a bit easier I have not had any issues with my boat single handing and this is my first boat. In fact I figured out how to sail by trial and error on her.

I have been on other boats that were "set up" for single handing and still have really liked the Spirit better
+1 exactly the same for me
Old 12-15-2011

I learned on this one too, it's a very forgiving boat. This one was my first one too. None of the lines on mine ran to the cockpit, so it could get a little hairy jumping up to the mast to get a sail down or to reef in some heavy wind, without and extra hand.

Mostly,I just needed something smaller for the moment, or at least until i can get a slip. My little 4runner doesn't respond well to 4000lbs of fiber glass and trailer behind it either. But like i said, the NA23 is hands down a better build boat. Catalinas were built quickly and cheaply, and you can definitely tell a difference once you start getting inside of one.
Old 12-15-2011

blobaugh is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the clarification.

I do have to say that I am planning on moving some lines around to make life a bit easier. I picked up a couple flush mount pulleys that I will eventually put on the deck. When I replace the halyards they will run back to the cockpit via the pulleys. I am also going to install a lazyjack, because, well, I'm lazy . Then eventually a furler. Cheap stuff first though