SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Calling All North American Spirit 23 Owners

73K views 247 replies 38 participants last post by  Pernerewski0802 
#1 ·
If we get enough action here we may get our own Thread, but these beautiful boats are few & far between.!!

#247 ·
Does anyone have any information of what the mast height from the water line or the "Air Draft" of a North American Spirit 23 with swing keel is? I haven't been able to find this info online. On Sailboat Data they only list the "I" height of 25' under "Rig and Sail Particulars" but as I understand it the "I" height is only from the deck to the top of the mast not from the waterline. I have a 28' bridge that I have to clear and need to figure out what the mast height from the water line is. Thanks for any help anyone can give! -Justin-

#63 ·
Need new rudder...

So, I had a bit of an accident this weekend and my rudder is now non-existent below the waterline.

I have no idea how to get a new rudder, or even where to start. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, this accident happened on my birthday... too ironic not to mention.

#72 ·
So, I had a bit of an accident this weekend and my rudder is now non-existent below the waterline.

I have no idea how to get a new rudder, or even where to start. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, this accident happened on my birthday... too ironic not to mention.
I have an original mahogany rudder, unused, bought as a spare after I almost lost my 1st one. (See previous post about Bahamas crossing). If Paul doesn't want it.

#64 ·
78 Spirit 23 alive and well on Chesapeake Bay...

hey folks - been lurking a bit and read all the posts I can find on our sweet 23 foot cruisers. This is my 3rd boat and one I searched high and low for. Work done so far to "update" the boat:

1. MOVED the Cabin battery: located in starboard seat next to the BILGE...bad place for a battery!:confused:

2. Rewired and Put in new batteries, switches, and Masthead 360 light.:)

3. REPLACED both cockpit drain hoses! They literally were rotted/cracked and letting water into the boat when she heeled (and one of the drains was under water). Replaced with Heavy Duty Hose w/ Stainless Clamps.:eek:

4. Just had bottom painted - including the scraping of barnicles off Fiberglass Swing Keel and the Inner Trunk. If you keep the boat in brackish water make sure you get a coat of paint on the Keel Itself - meaning it needs to be on a lift for 30 minutes at a yard.

I'll get some pics up - have some good shots of the boat on the forklift - etc.

Dave

#69 ·
Battery location(s)

Hi Chris,

I have a smaller battery mounted inside the port cockpit locker aft above to the motor mount - the 9.9 johnson charges that battery always, and the "Cabin" battery as well when the batt switch is on BOTH.

As for the location of the Cabin battery I made the starboard aft bunk into a place to keep extra equipment, removed some of the cushions, installed two heavy duty handles, and place the battery between them and have bungie cords holding it in place. THis is the battery I periodically will charge with a portable 12v charger - so easy access to it is key.

dave

#70 ·
Also for camping out on the boat (and my '86 22 foot RV) I have a Yamaha EF1000iS generator: "With this unit Yamaha goes head-to-head against Honda in the small portable generator market. This is a sweet machine that is compact, lightweight and very quiet. MSRP: $829.00." - Camping World