Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Orphan Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009

windyway is on a distinguished road
Hatch & Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSims View Post
Where'd you get your front hatch, and how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks
Paul@TheAgencyMS.com
I forget the prices exactly but contact James Alspaugh: Sailersvalet@cox.net

He cut the companion way covers too large for me, so if you order them from him I would advise to send a template for him to use. But the forward hatch was perfect.

You're welcome

WindyWay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009

Window Frames

If anyone knows where I can get some inner & outer window frames that are still in one piece PLEASE let me know!
Old 09-13-2009

messenger is on a distinguished road
Here is a pic of my '78 model tied up on the Albemarle Sound. I have since, glassed in the hole from the original hatch, and added a bomar on the bow. I think this was the day I had centerboard problems (cable) and thus the line going into the water to hold the board up (forward of ladder). The board has been replaced by a 170 lb chunk of monel 3/4" by 12" by 48", glassed into a foil shaped to the original board specs, the board pin was increased to 1 and a quarter inches from a piece of an old prop shaft riding in bronze sleeve. She points like a dream. plus that extra ballast in just the right place really helped. Next...windows like Windy Ways...and getting rid of that 6hp. and going to an electric start 9.9 with cockpit controls. Love my old Austin, Texas born Spirit. She will be riding on her double axle E-Z Loader trailer/ mobile shipyard, as she returns to her home state next year for the The Texas 200.
Old 09-13-2009

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims
Got any pics of that front hatch after you glassed over it? Been debating doing that myself.
Old 09-13-2009

Paul, I can't get any pics of that for a couple of weeks or more, I'm about 750miles down the road from the boat...I like it a WHOLE lot better. I think I used a Bomar 1070 for the bow, I think that was the number, got it off of Ebay for like 90 bucks, with bug screen..like new, but I did add some stainless strips inside the hatch, in case of an errant big foot. So much better when motoring in calm waters to have that hatch up for ventilation, plus, in my mind, better privacy at a dock. If one were to use a hatch of a 1070 size, one would have a crown to contend with of about 1/2 to 5/8 inch on each side but if you know epoxy, it is a pretty simple build up. As for the old hole, I just used some (I think) 5/8 inch ply(three pieces) using the old hatch as a reference to get, basically the same lines. Someone else may have better luck, but I found building up the "plug' on the boat was easier then trying to build up a "plug" off the boat, then hoping it fits. I went that way first, it ended up in the trash. I did cut out the vertical part of that lip that is inside of the old hatch with a die grinder, leaving the "horizontal" of that lip to "catch" the ply. Then bolting in the plywood. Once you get that first layer of cloth over the ply, it will hold itself for more layers. I used long enough bolts so that the interior is now a magazine, small chart, whatever rack. Then it was just building up on the outside with mat and cloth to get to the original lines of the old hatch and coach roof, fairing it in, and paint. Not as easy to egress or ingress as the original, but I don't use it for that much anyway. And when working around the mast, a whole lot better.
No more leaks from that area.....now the windows. Just about to glass them in to, and then paint the outside black to mimic the original windows, but i may go the WindyWay treatment. I have yet to pull back the curtains inside. Also might glass down the poptop, I have it sealed down...I don't use it, and that cavity outside of the seal is just a place to collect dirt, water, whatever. Good luck with your Spirit..I really enjoy tying mine up beside a Catalina 22.
Old 09-13-2009

lionshooter is on a distinguished road
Traveller

Get rid of all that mainsheet crap at the end of the boom and install a midboom bail and traveller across the seats just aft of the companionway. You'll never get smacked up the side of your head again when you tack or jibe.
Sails a whole lot better too.
Stan
Old 09-16-2009

I had someone forward a pic from a "work in progress" album. This pic was taken before final layers of glass to bring it out flush, and before hatch was bedded. We wanted to use the boat, so I slapped some paint over the project at the time, anyhow, I think you can get a feel for what it would look like on your vessel. Notice my "crutch" on the mast and boom. I have since had one made of 1/4 inch stainless plate, with a couple of wings nut at one end.(about 6 x 8 inches, the width of the mast, and lined inside with padding). Slip it over the mast at the gooseneck, and tighten it down. It makes the boom and mast "one". I then use the mainsheet tackle to easily raise or lower the mast forward, not over the stern as some do. I just have to always remember to unplug those antenna cables before I lower. And the masthead light just clears the forward part of the bow rail. We have a community boatramp about 300 feet from where this boat is parked, but I have ONE power line to contend with, the ONLY one within a mile. Twenty years ago the power company would have buried it for a couple of hundred...now it would be over 5000, minimum. I'll just continue to raise and lower the mast for the time being thank you.

Also, I posted another pic on that other thread, but after I noticed that thread was in a chartering section, I figured I better get back over here. Like I said, that hatch and those thru hull cockpit drains are the achilles heels of these hulls. Take care of those, and also, I have my poptop held down by six 3/8" x 5" stainless carriage bolts. I don't trust those factory tie downs when tooling down the road at 60mph.

And I guess everyone has seen this North American/Spirit 23' Sloop (sailboat) resource page Ricardo's youtubes are a treat.

Last edited by messenger; 09-16-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2009

looks good. Just finished my homemade hatch. Turned out like crap but it's functional. This will probably be the next move for me.
Old 12-02-2009

A Treat for the 23's

Basically the keel cable routing is the only design flaw I saw on this boat. The inner moving cable exits the outer shroud at an impossible angle and chafes that's why the cable breaks all the time. I built a bracket that holds a pulley & mounts inside the stub keel that allows the inner cable to exit in a straight line from the shroud and allows the cable ro rotate the 120deg required by the swing keel. No more broken cables! I've used the boat all last summer and it works like a dream. I've attached a picture for your perusal.

Fair winds
Attached Thumbnails
Calling All North American Spirit 23 Owners-swing-keel-pulley-mod.jpg  
Old 01-12-2010

I need to get a new front hatch, the one i made is just ugly, and I'm tired of looking at it. Anybody got a fiberglass one laying around? And not going to charge me 300$ for it. ha

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.