looking for any info on our "new" 1973 Yankee 38 - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lady Adoryan
  • 1 Post By JamesOppy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-06-2013 Thread Starter

looking for any info on our 1973 Yankee 38

We have just adopted hull #11 of 30 of these made. Since the Yankee Yacht Co went out of business in the mid 70s & there were so few made, there is little info to be had on this One-Ton Class IOR racing boat. We are aware that the plug was sold to Catalina to become the Catalina 38. Any info would be a great help. Thanks all.
Cal cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Lady Adoryan; 06-06-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Adoryan For This Useful Post:
Cal cruiser (03-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-04-2015

Re: looking for any info on our "new" 1973 Yankee 38

They were solid ocean racers in their day, and still make a great, safe cruiser. Good materials and good construction. The old Westerbeke 491 was a good engine.
Cal cruiser likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2016
Transpac vet

Hello. We just bought Yankee 38 hull number 21. We are redoing most everything at a yard in Seattle. The engine was changed to a Yanmar 3GM30 a while back. Any feed back from other YY38 owners or Yanmar 3GM30 owners would be appreciated. We hope to relaunch in May.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-20-2016

I had YY hull#14. I bought it as a project and brought it back to sailing condition about ten years ago. It was very heavily built and well constructed. It was a stiff boat that could really carry sail, though not as nimble around the buoys as more modern lighter designs with true fin keels. In a breeze and in a seaway she really came into her own, and was much much more seakindly and solid feeling than other similar boats. I sailed on a J-41 a lot then, and although that boat could sail circles around me, it pounded like a surfboard in a big sea and was hard on the helmsman keeping her off the wind. Never the Yankee. They were built for offshore work. IOR designs got an undeserved bad name after the 79' Fastnet race disaster. But if I had to get rolled or pitchpoled, I'd rather do it in a Yankee 38 than just about any other boat. It would track very well on or off the wind, and had some weather helm on the wind but not too much.

The lines of the hull are very pretty to my eye. I never was a fan of the humped deck though, and particularly disliked the camber of the deck/cabin. When heeled, it made the leeward slope of the deck all the more steep and felt very insecure, as opposed to a proper flat deck with a high toe-rail or bulwark. However it must be said that the deck was a great design for offshore sailing in that there was very little for a malevolent wave to get a hold of to break, and the ports were small and secure. I liked the interior layout and rebuilt it to the original design, which was clearly offshore racing oriented. Eight little honeycomb compartments in the head (one for each crew member to tuck his cut-off toothbrush and towel), eight cabinets in the main saloon, each of equal size and big enough for a sea bag. All the drawers and cabinet openings had solid latches to keep their contents inside. Eight single bunks, and each one capable of being a good seaberth, with lee-cloths etc.

I raced her alot in PHRF club races. She did well in very light wind because she was heavy (16,800 lbs displ) and would carry her momentum better than newer boats, but was slower to accelerate for the same reason. In very heavy air she did well too. In moderate conditions she was usually back of the pack. I did a handful of near-coastal races too, and the only thing that kept her from winning was me.

Congratulations on your acquisition!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-21-2016
Transpac vet

Thanks for the insights. We plan to restore the boat to a cruising configuration with the galley on the starboard and chart table on port.
The plan is to sail in the Pacific Northwest from Seattle and around the San Juan islands where the weather can develop.
The Yankee 38 should handle what ever comes.
One plus for me was the ability to go to weather and that hull and sail plan design does that well.
This will be an "Old School" restoration with analog instruments and staying with the tiller.
With roller furling it will be ok for a couple to cruise.
Racing is not in the plans as I have "done that and got the tee shirt".
Fast and strong is our motto.

Fair winds to you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.