Midships 25 Hull number 65 shall rise again - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 03-09-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Midships 25 Hull number 65 shall rise again

Wait what? There's an end to projects? I thought the whole idea of messing with boats is you create a to do list, spend a weekend working items off of it and end up with a slightly longer to do list. At least that seems to be how everything on my boats go.

I just tell myself every time that all I need to do is make a 2% improvement each trip out to the boat, it's easy enough to attain a goal like that and you make progress a lot faster than you think before too long.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 03-10-2017 Thread Starter

Test run of the Balwin Saildrive!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/558558...posted-public/

As usual, it pretty much cranked right up. Video was taken just after it started, once it warmed up a bit the miss went away and she ran smooth as can be.

Alternator outputting charge voltage

Certified crazy eyed shop Tomcat thinks the charge voltage is a bit too high. I am going to wait and see what it looks like attached to a real battery rather than the little test battery we had there in the shop.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-13-2017

A few more pictures from one of the recently completed projects: Radio with DSC and GPS.

First a nice uncluttered ceiling photo.

The radio was bought used and without the regular mount, which was fine since I didn't like the radio being on the ceiling of the cabin anyhow.
Taking inspiration from SV Eastwind's FM radio installation, I decided to install the radio near the tabletop in a box glassed to the hull/deck.
Then run the wiring. This grey wire is the bundle for the new mast lighting. Up in the top you can just barely see the deck fitting for the antenna cable.

Perhaps overly strong for the application

Topside

This was a early spring project so the boat was still covered for the winter snow and rain.

Lots of wiring ended up in this bundle, which will eventually be hidden more or less by curtains and shelving.

Using DSC to call SV Eastwind. Don't mind the wire-nuts (thats a lighting project)

It looks like it works in this photo, but when tested with a meter, we found something was stealing all our magic powers.

Turns out it was these cheapo 90 degree connectors. Swap them out and presto the whole system works like a champ.
Yesterday we were using it to listen to the "local" coastguard station some 20 miles away.

Also installed a RAM MIC in the cockpit, so we don't have to dive headfirst into the cabin to answer the radio each time. This is installed on the port side, next to the PLastimo Commander Compass.

All this is supplemented by two handheld radios so we can move about the boat or do more complex tasks while single handed.

Last edited by stagg; 04-13-2017 at 10:21 AM.

post #24 of 27 Old 04-13-2017

Thru-hull repair

Having a center cockpit boat, means that there are several HUGE lockers in the cabins. One of these lockers on Sunflower, had a single 1/2 inch thru-hull right in the middle of the locker. It had a rusty old gate valve on it and a rotten wedge of wood, and effectively took up the whole locker.

Out with the old and in with the new.
The thu hull in the locker was removed and the locker was painted "Sea Foam Green".

Then the area aroud the hole was ground into a much larger shallow cone, following Don Casey's method of fiberglass repair.
Then we cut many, many, many, way to many round patches of fiberglass cloth and mat. Making each progressively larger than the last.
After plugging the bottom with tape, the hole is filled in using normal glass methods, making a repair that is as strong as the hull around it.

New Hole drilled in the hull beside engine.

A new 3/4 inch thru-hull, with an actual seacock was installed in the engine bay and plumbed into the water pump.

Bottomside
post #25 of 27 Old 04-13-2017 Thread Starter

After spending yesterday afternoon trying to remove the injector from my YSE8 Yanmar from the same model boat I do have to confess to being more than a little jealous of the roomy engine bay in that thing even if it does sound like a weed whacker.
post #26 of 27 Old 04-16-2017

It still floats after all this time in the yard.

post #27 of 27 Old 04-16-2017

A project boat and you sure got a lot of project for your money
All the best

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.