Midships 25 Hull number 65 shall rise again - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

Midships 25 Hull number 65 shall rise again

I traveled down to the hills of Northern Arkansas to look at a the sails that the fellow posted up that would ostensibly fit my Parker Dawson 26. Odd to find random Parker Dawson parts ANYWHERE much less in Northern Arkansas so it was certainly worth the look.

Turns out that neither sail was a particularly good fit for my later Dawson. The guy really wanted to be rid of the entire boat and was keen to make a deal on the whole thing but the reality was that there wasn't that much there that was directly helpful to me.

My buddy Stagg happened to be along and as we looked at the entire hull, Stagg slowly got to thinking that in all reality, the entire boat might be worth bringing back from the dead rather than chain sawing the whole thing up.

The boat was clearly much loved quite some time ago but the previous "real" owner died in 2004 and the boat had been sitting on it's trailer in a forest since then and we all know what that means...

We did not snap interior pics, but trust me, it was plenty wet and the entire thing was generally quite icky. None the less, Stagg was notionally interested and the seller eventually dropped the price to a can't miss price point and we eventually changed out as many of the old tires with spares from my trailer and hit the road.

The trip back was mostly uneventful other than one wheel bearing heating up and dragging a middle wheel down till it heated up and blew one of the middle tires. No big deal, we just strapped up the middle axle and finished the trip as a mere tandem axle trailer rather than a triple.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Midships 25 Hull number 65 shall rise again

Now safely back in Kansas City, Stagg is getting to work on it.

#1 issue is that both center life line stanchions were snapped off, it looked like when the most recent owner moved it down his road ringed with many low hanging tree limbs. Both will be simple glass repairs but will need to be undertaken in a fairly inconvenient location.

Forward cabin is naturally quite dirty and there is no lack of water damage. Teak seems to have survived, but anything non-teak ate it something fierce.

The rear cabin had been converted to a throne room complete with this quite convoluted box which basically took up 100% of the available space.

The companionway slats and doors had come apart into a puzzle pile of boards. Stagg took them home last night and laid them out to see what all was there and not there. Looks mostly there at least so if we sit down and glue them all back together we should be able to at least close the thing up enough to keep condors from roosting in the cabins.

The inboard on this one is a Balwin Saildrive. The engine was out and thankfully suffered only minor water damage. Oddly enough, with only minimal cleaning followed by setting the points, it fired right up. https://www.flickr.com/photos/558558...7659925972816/
I currently have the Delco starter/generator apart and am replacing the bearings on it. Hopefully that will restore it to proper operation as well.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

Work progress from during the week:

Interior stripped out and cleaned. Missing the cushion that goes in the middle of the V-Berth as well as a few other things but overall it's managable. This one is much more refrigerator like inside than mine so it's actually cleaning out fairly well. Most all of the wood that was above the fish tank water line looks like it will come around just fine.

Pressure washed the hull. Initally, we did not even really notice that this one was blue. The more we clean it, the more blue it is. Hull surface looks nicer than it is in the last pic since it was still wet there but it's certainly coming along!

Beginning the compounding of the hull. First run with rubbing compound seen here. Getting better!

Various chlorine and peroxide based bleaches used to kill off the deck funk, this made short work of washing the desks. Note also the door slats are all reassembled and glued back together. Now pelicans cannot just fly into the cabins.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

Weekend progress:

Grabbed Curfman to help and we shifted the boat over to a spot less festooned the enemy trees so that we could stand up the mast and have a look and see what rigging we are missing. Standing rigging is so-so at best, running rigging is mostly rotted or missing but the key bits are there so we can just rebuild a bit at a time and still hopefully beat the cold weather and get her in at least once this year.

Continued compounding the hull. In case you are curious, yes, this tedious work. Here you see the second run on the port side with the Mequires Super Cut compound. Starting to see some shine and finally past the last of the hazy bits. Hopefully the following passes with progressively finer glazes will get the depth of shine she deserves.

Stagg halfway down with pass 1 on the starboard side.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

Getting the interior wood and door slats worked over.

Quite surprised that in fact almost all of the interior wood worked out just dandy. Had to replace a grand total of 2 hinges and one center panel on the hanging locker door.

The companionway slats and rear cabin door were a huge undertaking to get evened out but the end result, I think looks quite good.

Filling gaps in the companionway slats.

Companionway sealed up, gaps filled with epoxy.

Scraping things even with a rasp.

Sanding it down.

First coat of spar varnish

Lower cabinet bin door.

The galley undersink door frame

Sawing cubby holes in the side covers
post #6 of 22 Old 11-12-2015

She cleans up nice. Do the cushions smell funky? The companionway boards look like aromatic cedar, is that the case?

Nor'sea 27
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

No smell, not sure how we dodged that one. They cleaned up quite well even if they are pretty atrocious styling wise.

Yes, the boards are cedar, caught us quite by surprise when I rasped the funk off.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-14-2015

Need more pictures!

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-14-2015

Labor of love.
Best of luck, my friend, with this project. I restored worse looking boats. Never for the money.
It is like seeing a neglected, half dead puppy on the street. You just can't help yourself. You have to help.
seabeau likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 22 Old 11-14-2015 Thread Starter

Pretty much nailed it there Krisscross. I am pretty sure Stagg just couldn't stand the sight of one of these thing about to get chain sawed up.

My circle of friends have been restoring military vehicles for years and in the process have brought some pretty broken toys back to life.

Compared to how our front line ambulance started off, a fiberglass sailboat seems pretty easy!

Same truck a few years later at an event (long story, but we usually do not keep skeletons in it)
seabeau likes this.

Last edited by Aswayze; 11-14-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.