SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Santana 21 Refit

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jonnyrokit 
#1 · (Edited)
As I mentioned in my intro thread, my buddy and I bought a '69 Santana 21 last fall and we've got just a couple plans for bringing it into the 21st century in style. My plan with this thread is to document as much of the mayhem as I can, and try to include as many pictures as possible because I've had a bear of a time finding info about these boats.

In the backyard, throwing away 50 years worth of PO's crap. Anybody want some 20-year-expired flares?

Started taking measurements to draw up plans for replacing all the plywood, it's in rough shape. Threw away the berth cushions, they were crappy old vinyl with foam that smelled worse than old boy scout tents. Started spraying stuff down with bleach, then decided that was a waste of time until I got all the paint scraped out where it needed it.

Without further ado, some pictures of how the interior sits now:

Epoxy drips in these last two show the results of the POs sloppy job of re-coring the deck under the jib rails. At least it's done, even it needs a touch of elbow grease to make it look nice.

Shows port side, screws are for various deck hardware. Before scraping.

Shows starboard side, after some scraping. At this point I decided to remove the teak grab rails from the deck and start poking around. Not good. Lots of coffee colored water leaking out, probing the core with the back of a round file felt soft and squishy all over. Deck feels solid, but there's definitely a lot of rotting wood in there.

Sink and "galley" removed, pulled old lead acid battery, and emptied berths. The keel winch is in great shape, and has been marked to avoid over-raising. I'll be cutting a window in the cable housing/shield thingy to monitor keel position as seen in the manual I've found.

And just for fun, Hazeltine Natl Golf Course last Feb during prep for the Ryder Cup. For those of you who don't know what winter in MN can look like:

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you using Google Photos to host your pictures? It looks like they've disappeared. It seems like Google links are only good for a short while.

A lot of people here use Photobucket. I think it's buggy and filled with ads, but it is free and the links do keep working.

#8 ·
A very unseasonably warm couple days gave me a chance to start playing with power tools, here's a recap:

Tick Stick method to mark where the old berths are, we're going to keep the v- and stbd berths in the same place.

Brought a couple Tyvek suits, respirators, and face shields home from work. Fiberglass is no joke. 1st pic shows the mast sans standing and running rigging. I can do the running myself, still working on a plan for the standing. Been quoted ~$700 by one place locally but that seems a bit steep for 6 wires.

15 minutes of grinding, and there's already fiberglass dust everywhere. Oh well, that's what PPE and shop vacs are for.

V berth out, apparently somebody at Schock was lazy with the paint. There doesn't appear to be a layer of gelcoat on the inside of the hull?

Rat's nest of 50 year old wiring. To the trash with theee!

Starboard berth out.

Port berth out. Instead of a berth we're putting in two jump seats with a table, we're not going to be doing much sleeping aboard. Planning on removing the through-hull for the sink and glassing over the hole to clean things up and free up some space. Going to put two 12V 100Ah Grp 27 AGM batteries under the seat against the bulkhead/ keel cutout for house and trolling motor juice needs.

One part of the two-pronged attack on rotten plywood. Makita jig-saw.

More or less where things are now: old plywood out, ready to start grinding down the little bit of glass tape/ plywood that's left from the jigsaw work. Also shows the other pincer: Makita 4.5" angle grinder with 24 grit fiber discs. The plan is to close off the areas under the coaming/ cockpit benches with a seatback on the port side and the main electronics panel on the stbd. We'll then cut hatches in the cockpit benches for sail, fender, and anchor storage.

#9 ·
Hello I recently bought a Santana 21. I was hoping you could send me the owners manual you have. Im hoping it will be more informative than mine. I was also curious if you could take some pictures of how you rig your boat. I am pretty new and was hoping to check to see if I have done it correctly. Id also love to see where you currently are in your renovation. I am also looking at redoing the inside of mine. Thanks for any help you can give.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.