DS 22 info - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

DS 22 info

I just bought a DS 22. These must not have been overly popular boats. I can't seem to find any manuals or information on her anywhere. I can't even find out how to raise or lower the swing keel. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be appreciative.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

I Googled name of the boat and found a discussion board with a number of members listed. There are email addresses to several. The discussion is quite a few years old, however.

There were a couple of comments regarding the swing keel, saying that they were made of steel and are prone to getting rusted stuck. People say they sail well even with the swing board up.

http://forums.voileabordable.com/read.php?2,1033
post #3 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: DS 22 info

I looked at a DS22 down near Montreal this winter. I was fascinated by the fact that they are a Bruce Kirby design. In my research I read about a lot of problems with the swing keel getting stuck in the trunk in the spring. If you're having trouble lowering your keel, I don't think you are the first DS 22 owner to have that problem. It seems as though most owners have a way of dealing with the issue, but they all seem to be a little different.

I have never owned one, just did a bunch of reading on them.

I see on your profile that you are in Minden, the flooding there is insane this year. I hope your house is no where near the river.

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8

Last edited by Arcb; 1 Week Ago at 06:15 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks again Arcb. I have been reading about the sticking swing keel too, There seems to be a few different fixes I can try.

Yes, the flooding is bad in Minden again, it seems to happen every couple of years. I've been up here 7 years and this is the third time I've seen it. Some of the olditimers say that the whole town is built on swampland and is a flood plain, they may be right.
post #5 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks midwesterner, I checked out the discussion board you mentioned. Seems 2 things stand out 1 The swing keel is problematic and, 2 most owners are very pleased with their boats. They did have a few fixes to try. Good news is I found the keel winch, it is in the stbd cockpit locker, I never would have guessed!
post #6 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

No wonder you couldn't find it! That's bizarre.

I've heard that the dam and white water park just upriver have resulted in serious silting and there has been something like a 50% reduction in volume the river is capable of holding between the white water park and Gull Lake. Not sure if it's true or not, I remember high water when I was a kid, but not major flooding.

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8
post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

For what it's worth, the DS-22 was built by DS Yachts in Odessa, Ontario (Not far from where I live!) Also at times called Schwill Yachts and owned by Herman Schwil. Shop is no longer there and I have not heard of Herman for quite a while. Not sure if he is still with us. They also built a number of other boats. This information is not complete:

Sailboats built by DS Yachts (Schwill Yachts) (CAN) by year on Sailboatdata.com. They also built a couple of small Kirby more racy boats.

Rusty swing keels are not uncommon. Need to get boat up high and get keel down where you can work on it. Scrape off all loose rust. Maybe use a wire wheel. Once clean, give it a couple of coats of POR-15, fill any cavities with epoxy filler then paint with an epoxy barrier paint and/or antifouling paint if boat will be left in water.

Good Luck with it.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 1 Week Ago at 08:59 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Hi FreeAgent, Thanks for the info and suggested repair. I think I will launch her next week after a good scrub. I don't really know if the keel is stuck or not as she is still on the trailer. If it is stuck I guess I'll have the marina lift her and rent a cradle for a week or so.
post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
No wonder you couldn't find it! That's bizarre.

I've heard that the dam and white water park just upriver have resulted in serious silting and there has been something like a 50% reduction in volume the river is capable of holding between the white water park and Gull Lake. Not sure if it's true or not, I remember high water when I was a kid, but not major flooding.
I know that the white water park is wild at this time of year usually, I haven't been over that way for about a month now though. As most of the Haliburton lakes are reservoir lakes for the Trent system, people along those waterways blame Parks Canada for mismanaging the water levels, be they to high or to low. I would not be surprised if there is a silting issue on that stretch. I was totally reworked for the Pan/Am ganes last year and tons of fill was dumped in to make the water course more challenging.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.