Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Other Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
There is a guy at my marina who is selling a Stone Horse 23, pretty classy looking boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011

arkriver1 is on a distinguished road
I newly joined this site but have sailed and owned boats over the years. Happens that there is a Stone Horse for sale here in Arkansas. He's asking only $4,500. Haven't looked at it but sounds like a pretty decent boat. (I'm a fan of other Edey and Duff boats, like Dovekie and have been seeking one of those). Ask and I'll send contact # for this boat. don
Old 02-03-2012

MMA83D is on a distinguished road
Last year was my first season with a Stone Horse. I really like the way it looks, and it never fails to elicit positive comments from people. It really is a charmer. I had a chance to cruise with it a bit last summer (alone) and got myself into 25 - 30 kts of wind. She stood up to it nicely. The boat is built like a tank and handles the messy stuff better than any other 23 footer I've sailed. Ironically it's also OK in light airs, although more modern boats like J-22's and J-24's are definitely faster. The relatively high wetted surface is the problem in light air, but the sail area to displacement ratio is good, so once she builds up speed, the momentum will carry you through the boat wakes and slop that tend to stop other boats. Going upwind is another weak area. I'm probably spoiled coming from more race-oriented boats, and I'm also sure I need to learn to sail the cutter rig more efficiently, but there have been times when I wished she'd point a bit higher. I'm not complaining, and I love the boat. I guess we're simply learning about each other. Next summer, new stays'l, a recut jib, and more time at the helm...we'll see.

Last edited by MMA83D; 02-03-2012 at 05:09 PM.