SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Other Brands (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/other-brands/)
-   -   San Juan 28 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/other-brands/79689-san-juan-28-a.html)

-Archangel- 10-11-2011 09:28 PM

San Juan 28

Hey all, I came across a SJ 28 listing in town but I don't know anything about the boat. I came across the SJ 28 community, but I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about them.

San Juan community: The San Juan 28 Sailing Club

Faster 10-11-2011 10:14 PM

The SJ 28 looks like a fairly roomy, pretty typical boat of her era... While maybe not strictly an IOR influenced design the rig is similar to those boats as they were being done in the day.

She's probably on par with a Ranger 28 (though not as handsome) or other similar boats from that time, with the same limitations that the 'skinny main big headail' rigs "enjoyed"... That article in the site you linked to is pretty thorough and makes a good read.

Unlike their 24 and 30, the 28 is an in-house Clark design, not a 'name' design (eg Bruce Kirby) however they did some nice boats.

I remember racing against one in the 80s.. it did pretty well.

marcusc130 10-13-2011 11:05 AM

I've owned a San Juan 28 for the past five years. I got her from a donation program at the local university, so it hadn't been maintained very well. One well documented issue is with the starboard bulkhead rotting out around the chainplate. Mine had, and it needed to be replaced. Other than that, I have had no problems. It is an IOR design, an as such it likes to sail on it's side. With the pinched stern, it is very tender in a following sea. I'm actually going to be selling mine, as my family is growing, and we have begun to do some extended cruising. The 28 is great for daysails, for more than that it is like camping on the water. With the wife and kid onboard for a weekend, we need some more space.

-Archangel- 10-13-2011 12:27 PM

How spacious is the interior and would it be a good live aboard? Or should I look else where like Catalina's.

marcusc130 10-13-2011 12:35 PM

Not a good live aboard in my opinion. The v berth is a little cramped. The settee in the main cabin pulls out into a double berth, but takes up every inch of space when it's out. The galley is small, limited storage, and a small icebox. I guess the cabin is fairly large for a 70's 28. Footer, but this combined with the narrow stern make the cockpit very small. For me, it's comfortable for a couple days. No shower either.

-Archangel- 10-16-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusc130 (Post 785813)
Not a good live aboard in my opinion. The v berth is a little cramped. The settee in the main cabin pulls out into a double berth, but takes up every inch of space when it's out. The galley is small, limited storage, and a small icebox. I guess the cabin is fairly large for a 70's 28. Footer, but this combined with the narrow stern make the cockpit very small. For me, it's comfortable for a couple days. No shower either.

Thanks marcusc, I guess it would be better off the look elsewhere like a Catalina or Pearson.