SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Herreshoff H-28

30K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with the H-28? THere are lots of them made in New Zealand - but they seem difficult to find in the States.

I have a sale pending on an H-28 built by Parkins Marine, Florida. I'm just looking for some info, advice, stories, etc.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi Amy - are you looking at a plastic one or a wooden one?

H28's aren't particularly fast racing yachts, but they are comfortable and competent cruisers capable of going most anywhere in the world you want to go. Some of the better-built timber ones command high prices in Australia..

More info here: Welcome to the H28 Yacht Owners Association

#3 ·
H-28

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is a "plastic" one - I think the ones made in New Zealand were modified with a deeper keel and more headroom. THis one has a 3 ft. 6 " keel and only 5 ft. 10" of headroom- but beautiful woodwork inside - basic equipment

I've been to the new zealand owners group - great group. I was hoping to find someone who'd sailed in one of these fiberglass boats made by Parkins. I guess not many were made and they're like hens teeth.

It's hard to figure out how much the boat is worth- not much to compare it to.

Not planning on racing- just some cruising around New England.

I'm new to this whole thing -

thanks again for the response!
amy

#4 ·
H-28

Hi Amy,
i am looking into a H-28 as well, for me it was love at first site... just not alot of info available on this boat. i understand that different yards built different variations but not much chatter about how they sail in different conditions or overall sea-comfort-motion. The one i'm looking into, is plastic & overpriced but so damm pretty!(kinda sounds like my last gf)...

she's a ketch but just looks under canvassed and realllllllly sloooooow... cramped & nothing great below deck... but still... she's a flirt... and got that "take me to france & we'll have a good time" sorta look about her...

anyway, sorry to ramble, its been a long winter... lets compare notes...
regards,
danville

#5 ·
H-28

danville,

yes - I loved her from the start too- so glad she was as nice in person as the photos!

I'm having the boat surveyed now- then she'll be mine!

Here's the link to the add on yachtworld

1981 Parkins/Herreshoff H 28 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

the only downside is that she hasn't got anything but basic equipment (electronics) - but the sails look to be in good shape. The cabin is lovely! The boat is hull #16 - built for Adrian Hooper - by Parkins Marine in Ft. Lauderdale florida. they have since gone out of business.

She's a sloop but looks like at one time she was rigged as a cutter. It's been difficult to find others like it- most are ketch rigs There is another listed on yachtworld right now - in Florida. Looks just like Iota (mine - well almost mine)

I have no idea how the boat sails- I've seen some reports that they're slow and you can't point too high into the wind, we'll see. Also it's going to be wet -

she's got an offset prop- so that'll be interesting. My first boat and the one I learned to sail on (last summer) was a catalina 27 - the engine almost never worked so I didn't learn how to dock anyway - so I guess I'll be learning how to back with a tricky backing boat.

Where are you located? Some years back someone was trying to start an owners association here in the U.S. but it never got off it's feet I think. New Zealand has a very active owner's group for the H-28's.

send photos and let me know how the hunt goes!

Amy

#7 ·
VERY cool that you built your own. I would love to see photos/ hear all about it. Where do you sail her? Is it a cutter?

I did end up buying the H-28 and sailed it all last season. Took some getting used to the much heavier boat- but she sails great. I'm still having lots of trouble handling her under power - getting in and out of slips is quite frankly still beyond me. I have an offset prop and that combined with the weight and full keel - cant get her to turn.

I'd love to hear about your boat!!!
Amy

#8 ·
Hi Amy,
I must admit that it did not sink in that it was a year ago you were wondering about H-28's; I thought it was still 2012, I guess.
Anyway, my boat is wood, mahogany on oak backbone. She is a gaff-rigged ketch, and cutter rigged with a bow spirit and boomkin. The hull is very true to Herreshoff's design, but the cabin has been changed a bit to suit, and as mentioned above, I changed the rig to gaff sails.
She sails beautifully under jib & jigger. I can set the sails, tie the wheel, and she will sail a straight line for miles. She has a wheel incidentally, because I had one and wanted to put it to use.
We sail out of Tarpon Springs, Fl. - out of the Anclote River. The river has a strong tidal flow in and out, and flukey winds, usually a land breeze in the morning and a sea breeze in the afternoon, but sometimes, no, often, wind is unreliable, so this Christmas I bought a little Honda 5hp engine to mount astern. Now I have wind, tide & motor problems to solve... :)
She's a lovely vessel with a sea kindly feel that has been lost in many contemporary designs, and I feel wholly at peace in her.
If I can figure out how to post photos on here, I will do it.
Jackson.

#9 ·
I know this is an older thread but I am familiar with that boat. I worked with Dave Parkins way back then and made a few of the molds that boat was made from. I built hull # 2 for myself and had the boat until 1989. Last I heard it was in Texas. They are sweet boats and you made a good choice. Dave Parkins is still in Ft Lauderdale and has a boat lift mfg company now.
Jeff

#11 ·
I purchased a Parkins Marine H28 in 2004, and sail her on Lake Lanier in north Georgia. The records show the builder to be a "Jeff O.....". I'd be interested in knowing if it is the same person in this forum? I believe the boat's original name, and her current name, is WHISPER.

#10 ·
Just an update on H-28's. They were designed in 1942 by L. Francis Herreshoff,
and originally built in wood. They are featured in Herreshoff's book, 'Sensible Cruising Designs.' They were designed as ketches, with one headsail.
Later design modification by Herreshoff to satisfy a customer's request presented the boat as a sloop.
They were modified, and built in the Far East, with a higher aft part of the house to make headroom below.
The Australians and/or New Zealanders further modified the plan (my guess without Herreshoff's blessing) to be slightly longer, deeper, etc. and built them of fiberglass.
The large H-28 association in Australia does not represent the boat as she was originally designed, though, I'm sure it is close.
Herreshoff originally intended them as week-enders, so the owners could return to work on Monday morning. That said, one or two have circumnavigated.

#19 ·
and originally built in wood. They are featured in Herreshoff's book, 'Sensible Cruising Designs.' They were designed as ketches, with one headsail.
Later design modification by Herreshoff to satisfy a customer's request presented the boat as a sloop.
They were modified, and built in the Far East, with a higher aft part of the house to make headroom below.
The Australians and/or New Zealanders further modified the plan (my guess without Herreshoff's blessing) to be slightly longer, deeper, etc. and built them of fiberglass.
The large H-28 association in Australia does not represent the boat as she was originally designed, though, I'm sure it is close.
Herreshoff originally intended them as week-enders, so the owners could return to work on Monday morning. That said, one or two have circumnavigated.
Interested in your h28 I am in tampa. 7089903630

#13 ·
Mejack - I grew up St. Pete and get down a couple of times a year. Would love to intro myself and see your boat sometime if you are open to it. I will probably be in the market for a boat in 6 years (kids out of college then) and the H28 is on my radar screen.

#15 ·
I built an H-28 and launched it in 1989. Purchased a fiberglass hull and deck with original lines from Krueger Marine out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. Took me eight years to complete. Aluminum spars, 20 hp Yanmar diesel, in line. All Honduras mahogany exterior woodwork, and Honduras mahogany and Oregon white ash down below. I even forged my own external keel. When she goes out she turns a lot of heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.