Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Other Brands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012

Screaming Seagull is on a distinguished road
Sonic 23

I know there's more then one Sonic owner on this sight.

I desperately need your help and advice regarding the forward hatch and where to find one...

~___/)___
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012

mubiksski is on a distinguished road
New Sonic Owner

Hi S. S.,
I just bought a Sonic 23 and if you see my post you will see I am in need of the specs for the rudder. Not your average petunia on this boat! I have got some very vague and rough dimensions from someone on another forum. It is a Canadian forum if you haven't found it yet let me know and I will get you the address. There is not a lot more info there in the English forum, but I assume much more in the French forum! Some stuff about mast rake and tension on the shrouds. Do you know how to read the serial number to get year and hull #?
Mubs
Old 03-07-2012

Sonic 23

I have not seen your post yet and I do not know the rudder specs off hand. I will be visiting my boat within next 2 weeks, I can measure mine if you'd like. Just tell me what you need.

As far as the HIN it's been a while since I looked. if you give me a sample I could probably work it out for for you.

If our HIN looks something like (ABC000120181) it breaks down like this; (ABC/00012/01/81)
(manufacture/hull #/month/year)
(So, hull # 12 and january of 1981)
Old 03-07-2012

Sonic 23

Belay my last! Just read your post.. ahh yes I do remember this type of HIN now (VS21M79A)
(VS/21/M79/A) your boat was born Aug 1979 and was the 21st sonic built.

I think I had a few extra digits in mine, would make sense since mine is a 81 though.

Sonics manufacture ID code is ZVS not sure of you made a typo or not.
Old 03-07-2012

Re: Sonic 23

So the "A" is for August I assume? And as far as the specs go for the rudder any and all that you can give I would be most gratified. I am not having any luck at all getting the specs. There is a Canadian forum for these boats also which the designer has posted on but it he hasn't responded in a while. So as of now you are my go to guy! So all demensions that you can give. Photos would be great also. Not sure how I can return the favor. How far out to sea have you taken your boat? I am thinking of a tour that would have me sail up from NYC to the Montreal this Summer. got to be off to work now. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-08-2012

Sonic 23

Haha I got the "A" Part wrong I always do that. A is for January, B is for February, C is for March and so on...
When I do make it to the boat yard I'll do my best on measurements and pictures of the rudder.
I have not taken the sonic out that far. furthest in open sea I've taken her was from Bristol, RI to Block Island, RI I can never get the time off work to dedicate to a real trip. And in my personal opinion a 23' is a bit small for a coast trip unless you have a few expert sailers on board. But it's definitely possible. my uncle does FL to RI in a 26'.
Don't worry about returning the favor... Unless you have a extra forward deck hatch!!?!
Old 03-08-2012

Sonic 23

I've never had any luck on any forum regarding the Sonic especially Canadian forums. But just out of curiosity what's the address? I've probably been on it at some point in an attempt to research this incredibly rare boat.
Old 03-08-2012

Sonic 23

Guess its you and me against the world............LOL.

So here is the link to the site Voile Abordable It has many Sonic owners and even the designer of the Sonic sailboat is or was a member.
From the site:
.................................................. .................................................. .......
(Opinion about this sail boat?) Posted by: joseph d'alessio (IP Logged)
Date: 07/07/2002 12:57AM

hi my name is joseph and i desingned and manufactured sonic 2
3 in montreal canada until 1984 so if you have any questions please e mail me and i ll be happy to answer i am no longer in the boat business but designing that boat [i still have the original lines of the hull] was my greatest challenge so please feel free to ask any questions regarding my sonic 23
.................................................. .................................................. ........

I have sent emails to him but to no avail! : ( For your hatch cover I would get a piece of heavey plexiglass and encase the edges in wood and a rubber seal around the hole, hinge and fasten it. It would seem the odds are against finding a replacement, though you know there is one in a boat yard (boat grave yard) somewhere. Happening uponwould be damn near impossible! I am right next door to Montreal so I will keep an open ear and eye for ya. And not to be a bother(which I already am) any help in rigging this beast would also be of great help! This is my third sailboat. 1st was a force five, loved it and should have kept it. 2nd was a Pintail. Sailed like a claw footed bathtub, but a fun, safe daysailer for a small crew. And the rigging of both of these was very basic, simple, and obvious. I have never even boarded a cruiser or any sailboat the size and breadth of this undertaking! I will have my hands full to say the least! I have a mooring secured on Lake Champlain and am just chawing at the bit for the ice out! Have you launched yours from a trailer or do you take it to the boat yard and use a travel lift? Enough already.................and thanks so much!
Brian
Old 03-08-2012

Re: Sonic 23

Just glancing through the posts again, I bet it is your boat they are talkiing about that lost the deck hatch at the other site!
Old 03-10-2012

Sonic 23

Yeah Brian I've been on that sight before, didn't get any help. And yes unfortunately that is I they are talking about. Although I was having trouble finding my post as my account somehow got deleted. Oh well. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I have access to tinted LEXAN an awesome product for boats and armored vehicles and easer to work with then plexiglass I just would much prefer to have all original parts. plus the fact that my craftsmanship skills aren't the best . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I have also owned 3 sailboats though I don't think the first counts to most. It was a row boat and my neighbors beach umbrella When I was 6. 2nd was a sunfish and 3rd is the Sonic I LOVE it. just want something slightly bigger. My opinion, bigger the boat easier to sail. I also keep mine on a mooring. On Mount Hope Bay in RI. I don't use a trailer I keep it at a boat yard for the winter they have a crane. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Let me know what you need help with for rigging. Sounds like you got a lot of work to do before she gets underway.. Still looking for free time to get to the boat yard for your rudder details. I have pictures if you want them just no measurements yet.