Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4arch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013

Novara is on a distinguished road
Lippincott 30 Water Under Settees

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and just had a question as to the potential source of this leak. I have had significant amounts of water pooling under the starboard and port settees in my Lippincott 30. I plan to rebed my chain plates on the port side as it is clear from some discoloration on the bulkhead below the plate water is entering there but this is not the case on the starboard side. What other through hulls might leak into this area. Thanks all for your help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road
Re: Lippincott 30 Water Under Settees

Welcome aboard Novara - always good to see other L30 owners around here.

Given that the water is accumulating under settees on both sides, it sounds like the fresh water tanks could be leaking either through the barbs on their aft bottoms or through the access ports on top. I've had to replace and rebed the access ports on mine as they leaked when heeled. The toilet intake through hull is under the starboard settee so the leak could also be there. It could also be at the toilet and running along the hose back through the bulkhead dividing the head and the settee. There's a speed transducer through hull under the starboard settee on mine but it may be aftermarket. If your boat is kept in salt water it will be easy to tell whether the water is coming in at a through hull vs. a leak. Deck leaks can be located with lots of paper towels and a hose. Good luck tracking them down!
Old 08-26-2013

Thank you for your help. I was able to solve the setee leak by removing the factory elbow since the threads in the tank had stripped and drilling out the tank to accept a standard through hull with nipple. I have been leak free since. Another question you might be able to help with. I have had intermittent functionality of my masthead and steaming light. Replaced the bulbs and cleaned the fixtures themselves, but still they are generally nonfunctional Do you know how the fixtures are wired? I also have a plug going to the spreader light that comes out of the mast and seems to loop back but I am not sure if that is involved.
Old 08-27-2013

Glad to hear your water tank leaks are resolved. For the mast wiring, if you unscrew and remove the piece of wood trim along the top of the aft bulkhead in the head compartment, it should reveal a terminal strip in the ceiling where the mast wiring is terminated. It would probably be worth checking those connections. My boat doesn't have the plug on the mast - it may be aftermarket. Mine also at one point apparently had the steaming light wired to work off the engine ignition but that connection was abandoned in favor of a switch.
Old 08-29-2013

This afternoon I checked behind the wood strip in the head compartment all i found was 3 wires heading up to a sealant filled hole which i presume is the base of the mast. Is it possible the wires terminate elsewhere? they seem to originate in a hole that goes towards through the bulkhead aft.
Old 08-30-2013

Interesting that there's no terminal strip at the mast base but that may have been a later add on mine. A bunch of wires are routed down between the fiberglass head bulkhead and the plywood cabin bulkhead to near the base of the toilet (there's a wood cover plate in the head). I believe the mast wires go there. From there, they go into a pipe under the starboard settee and make their way back under the quarterberth, through the battery compartment, then up to the electrical panels. It would probably be worth tracing it all out so you can eliminate the possibility of any issues in the cabin wiring before fooling with mast wiring.
Old 09-16-2013

Another question. My masthead light issue has solved itself as on the way back from block island this past weekend my mast decided to fail at the spreader bars completely dis-masted thankfully no damage other than the mast the sails and hull were fine. My question is do you know who originally made the mast for the L30 so I can begin to investigate replacements options?
Old 09-16-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Lots of masts for sail on eBay. Don't limit yourself to a L30 mast, you might find one that fits from some other make and model of boat.
Old 09-16-2013

Wow Novara, really sorry to hear that. Rigrite has a lot of info about mast types and how to figure out which is yours. The boom definitely looks like a MetalMast round section but I don't know about the mast. Buying a used salvaged mast that fits the boat will probably be the cheaper way to go though.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by 4arch; 09-16-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2013

Luckily my Boom was salvagable as were my sails, So just looking to replace the mast and rigging I will check on Rigrite Thanks.