Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Other Destination
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrak View Post
Where are the Southern California sailors in this forum? I know other bodies of water are considered more "classic" in the US, but there is still much fun to be had down here!

I'm still a beginner, so my first ambitious destination is Catalina Island, about 8-9 hours from my port, Marina Del Rey. I've been to Catalina with the ferry once, and found the island so charming that I've made the resolution to return there on my own.

Anyone been there? What are your other favorite destinations in SoCal? I hear the Channel Islands are also nice, but I've never been...
Hey Shadrak! I'm in Riverside, and am also just learning to sail. My eventual goal is to reach Catalina Island also- on my 1974 Catalina 22.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
The only thing not good about the Channel Islands, is there are not enough of them.
Old 06-15-2009
Hull Number 33

OldColumbia is on a distinguished road
Dear Jiffy,

You're absolutely right except that for those seeking amenities they didn't bring with them, the islands can be very sparse.
Old 06-15-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
And don't let being a first timer to Two Harbors scare you off. It is a great sail/motor over and the Harbor Patrol is great and helpful. They will walk you through the steps for tying up and will make sure you are secure. During the summer, it can get busy over on Saturday. But lately, it has not been that crowded as long as they don't have an event going on.

Harbor Patrol monitors channel 9, and just let them know you may need a little help with the mooring. They'll take care of you!
Old 06-29-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I sailed from Long Beach to Two Harbors (Catalina Island Isthmus) and back last weekend and it was amazing! An experienced racer let me crew with him on his Catalina 25 for the cruise, and now I feel more confident about taking my own 22 out there.
Old 06-29-2009
Hull Number 33

OldColumbia is on a distinguished road
That's the way to do it.
I had an instructor in one of my first USCGAux classes ( I think it was BSS) who would regularly single hand his Venture 21 to the Boy Scout Camp on Catalina from Long Beach. He always was an "outdoorsy" guy who wasn't uncomfortable in spartan surroundings.
It's usually better with a crew member, just in case.
Old 08-01-2011

kunkun238_hn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrak View Post
Where are the Southern California sailors in this forum? I know other bodies of water are considered more "classic" in the US, but there is still much fun to be had down here!

I'm still a beginner, so my first ambitious destination is Catalina Island, about 8-9 hours from my port, Marina Del Rey. I've been to Catalina with the ferry once, and found the island so charming that I've made the resolution to return there on my own.

Anyone been there? What are your other favorite destinations in SoCal? I hear the Channel Islands are also nice, but I've never been...
Using units incorrectly really winds me up. A knot is a nautical mile per hour. You can't be 30 knots away from anything; that's like saying something is 50 miles per hour away. It's nonsense.